How self-driving cars could take on the airline industry

RedViking

Nord of the South
Original heading: How self-driving cars could kill the airline industry

No it won't.

Pythonista

There have always been "driverless" cars - they're just called "buses". You behave exactly as the author says in a "driverless car" ... Oh dear - look like they must have been short of articles.

garp

Executive Member
I think they may have a point. If I had the option of reclining in the back of my private luxury Vito with business class style seats and all the mod cons while it drove itself from JHB to DBN I wouldn’t think twice. Even for a Cape Town trip.

neoprema

Expert Member
Really? I still would rather pay to get from New York to LA in 6 hours than goodness how long in an electric self-driving car.

Yes it has the potential, but i can't see air travel dying because of this.

What will kill air travel is if they keep on making smaller seats, higher ticket prices and worse service. And then either someone comes along with a whole new (more comfortable and cheaper) form of travel such as the Boring Co) or a new flying craft that doesn't need us to sit like sardines.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
Lets drive to london for the weekend.
Could you imagine.
What a misleading tiltle for an article.
why does staff writer just rehash garbage articles?

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
If it were all about being able to work while you travel, people have been doing that for yonks on the train. It hasn't killed the airline industry.

Swa

Honorary Master
People don't take the plane because they have to drive but because it saves time. Also a ticket costs as much or less than petrol and tolls.