How SMS spammers and sales agents get your number

I just ignore the spam - eventually it stops. pity it does not work with those intrusive ads on the Internet!! thank god for ad blockers :)

If you do the Maths
An average call centre agent can call 100 people per day, assume that their are 6,7mil economically active people in the country, then in 260 days ( which is a working year ) all you need is 257 hard working agents to cycle through the numbers annually.

Thats why we get swamped.

Vodacom said its customers can call the customer care line on 082 111 and provide the number they have received the spam SMS from, and it will unsubscribe the customer.

Has anyone tried this and how successful is it?

Also, on the opt out stuff, don't you think it's unfair to charge clients a fee to unsubscribe from unsolicited messages?

Yeah, hopefully they don't stop working one day. :eek:

nee fork man....never. I'm sure there are some clever programmers out there that can do something.

what about a front end browser running on a raspberry pi with a fixed IP address that the ad software see as "normal" (no ad blockers) running in the background - then divert the pages to your proper browser running an ad blocker?

Also, on the opt out stuff, don't you think it's unfair to charge clients a fee to unsubscribe from unsolicited messages?

Yeah, I want to charge them for adding me to their lists.

nee fork man....never. I'm sure there are some clever programmers out there that can do something.

what about a front end browser running on a raspberry pi with a fixed IP address that the ad software see as "normal" (no ad blockers) running in the background - then divert the pages to your proper browser running an ad blocker?

Not sure how this works behind the scenes, must read up on it a bit.

yes exactly - since I never "opted in" in the first place - I never "opt out" - I just delete it. if you reply they know they have a live cell number

My wife had a misspelled name at Telkom which ended up on multiple junk snail mails... unlisted.

I recently got 2 spam SMS's (don't get much) and it was sent by AfriGis... their customers include Vodacom and Home Affairs. This was a few days after using both. AfriGis removed me on email request.

I keep getting reminders to renew my tv license. I ignore as its in my wife's name.

The biggest menace is the large scale incompetence of CIO's and CTO's who don't take responsibility to secure their company data. or maybe it start at board and ownership level, where there is no consequences for poor data security practices.

I wonder how much investigation Discovery did on the data security practices at their outsourced marketing provider, before they gave them client information. I doubt the bar was set very high, given what happened.

not to mention the complete lack of understanding of IT security practices at most small companies.

As a contractor in the IT space, it is ridiculously easy to steal and sell, profiled personal information, while leaving no trace. Given how many opportunities most contractors have, I am sure it must be happening all the time. Its such a "victim-less" crime, as the perpetrators never come in contact with the victims.

We have some very strict confidential data handling procedures in-house. All our storage and transmission mediums are encrypted, all sharing links have unique credentials per project, that auto expires within 24 hours or 7 days, depending on the sensitivity. Access credentials are supplied via 2 factor methods. its really not difficult.

yet despite our best effort, people still email excel spreadsheets with client data, instead of using the recommended mediums.

I wish I could flip a switch and make the ignorance disappear. if only people treated client information, more like they treat client money.

That is similar to what Stallman does:
I am careful in how I use the Internet.

I generally do not connect to web sites from my own machine, aside from a few sites I have some special relationship with. I usually fetch web pages from other sites by sending mail to a program (see git://git.gnu.org/womb/hacks.git) that fetches them, much like wget, and then mails them back to me. Then I look at them using a web browser, unless it is easy to see the text in the HTML page directly. I usually try lynx first, then a graphical browser if the page needs it (using konqueror, which won't fetch from other sites in such a situation).

Not sure how this works behind the scenes, must read up on it a bit.

yeah not sure if I explained it properly, the way I see it working. basically it's going to be a "shield" - the ads get through to the end user - they see no ad blockers - they get paid - they are happy - then the pages are sent to the pc that runs the ad blockers.

Finally, a realistic plan to stop unsolicited telemarketing (US, UK & Oz, so far...)

Finally, a realistic plan to stop unsolicited telemarketing - "a robot to take on telemarketers"
http://jollyrogertelephone.com/finally-a-realistic-plan-to-stop-unsolicited-telemarketing/

Featured on the most recent TNSS -
The New Screen Savers 41: Apple vs. FBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjnWFFtCAg

.. watch from 35mins:35secs

Back