How South African ISPs will deal with pirates

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
New offences – Includes the distribution of a data message of an intimate image, the infringement of copyright by peer-to-peer sharing, and sending hate speech messages.
That means they have to know that my P2P traffic is actually material that is actually a copyright infringement. How are they going to do this without breaching my privacy? And what about infringement of copyright material by non-p2p sharing, e.g. http downloads?
Obligations – Electronic communications service providers and financial institutions must report offences they become aware of within 72 hours.
So never then, since that would be a breach of privacy.
MWEB’s privacy policy policy adds that while it does collect information such as domains visited, it does not inspect identifying information.
Now that is interesting...

daveza

Honorary Master
  • New offences
    – Includes the distribution of a data message of an intimate image, the infringement of copyright by peer-to-peer sharing, and sending hate speech messages.
So the missus sends you a nude pic and she's going to jail ?

And who decides what is a hate speech message ?

S.Claus

Expert Member
Whos gonna start a local VPN service with no logging ? I mean if our local subscription services got all the new shows at a reasonable time half the "pirates" won't exist . Dstv comes to mind with their 5 year old movies that recycled into oblivion (cough cough R809 ) , Showmax with barely any new content besides the select few or the severely limited Netflix South Africa . As for the social media and private messages wouldn't that be considered invasion of privacy ?

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
That means they have to know that my P2P traffic is actually material that is actually a copyright infringement. How are they going to do this without breaching my privacy? And what about infringement of copyright material by non-p2p sharing, e.g. http downloads?

So never then, since that would be a breach of privacy.

Now that is interesting...

I wonder if they have the ability do decrypt p2p traffic pre or post VPN.

Anakha56

Good thing there are VPN's that offer tough encryption levels and no log policies... They can go to the ISP all they want but the ISP is just going to show traffic to server x and from there *poof*.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Gaan Margaret now tronk toe?

Dont care what others say this is never getting old.....been a few years, Wonder if Chris ever did get a chance to drive away yet.

If people are struggling with Pirates, lets take Somalian pirates as an example, how come ISPs are getting involved?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Whos gonna start a local VPN service with no logging ? I mean if our local subscription services got all the new shows at a reasonable time half the "pirates" won't exist . Dstv comes to mind with their 5 year old movies that recycled into oblivion (cough cough R809 ) , Showmax with barely any new content besides the select few or the severely limited Netflix South Africa . As for the social media and private messages wouldn't that be considered invasion of privacy ?

Perhaps you should rather stop pirating and take a look at the two streaming services, DSTV is pricey granted but it's got some new stuff as well. Showmax brings quite a lot of new content, seemingly it's getting rid of it's older stuff now.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Perhaps you should rather stop pirating and take a look at the two streaming services, DSTV is pricey granted but it's got some new stuff as well. Showmax brings quite a lot of new content, seemingly it's getting rid of it's older stuff now.
The problem I have with Showmax is that their infrastructure is shocking considering they have the backing of the wealthiest company on the JSE.

The quality is unacceptable, as well as the buffering issues. For not much more, Netflix gives you 4K in Dolby Vision.

I have no issue with paying for it, but I'm not going to pay for crap. My viewing experience is important to me because it eats into the little free time that I have...

Necrotic

You being serious now....? or you making a funny ?

Lupus

Honorary Master
The problem I have with Showmax is that their infrastructure is shocking considering they have the backing of the wealthiest company on the JSE.

The quality is unacceptable, as well as the buffering issues. For not much more, Netflix gives you 4K in Dolby Vision.

I have no issue with paying for it, but I'm not going to pay for crap. My viewing experience is important to me because it eats into the little free time that I have...

This is true, really wish they would have better picture and sound quality. Well I will say at least the sound quality has vastly improved from what it was.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You being serious now....? or you making a funny ?
Being serious, moans that something doesn't have the latest stuff when but it's got some pretty new stuff, same as Netflix. Yes we don't have the Orville or the Expanse, but Orville will come to DSTV.
I've learnt a long time ago I don't really need it to be right now, right as it released from the US anymore, I've got enough stuff to keep me going that having things staggered isn't a bad thing. But hey each to their own, unless it's something that isn't released locally why bother pirating?

Sollie

Honorary Master
..I wonder how sophisticated our police are, when it comes to all matters online..
Well, they managed to take a darknet dump of local consumer info being sold (and discussed on MyBB) offline in ~ 2 hrs. Enough said. It revolves around the will to do something and support from police top management for something or not.

But then again it's sad that only certain aspects of the bill are reported on, but I guess this affects most people here directly. There are other positive aspects that affects us all that's overdue.