How South African-made smartphones will take on competitors

FlashSA

Executive Member
They're dreaming. Immense storage space and battery life? I see a 3500mah cell in one and 32gb of rom in the other which was amazing 3yrs ago

FlashSA

Executive Member
Prediction: You'll see these phones pushed hard by banks and/or Telecoms companies. The banks/TelCo's get to boost BEE scoring because of 100% rating of supplier and this Mara wara wara gets to move units.

The unsuspecting consumers who take out contracts or phones on repayment will suffer when the devices perform poorly and by then it is too late!

But, then, word will get out that they are terrible devices and people will then move back to Chinese/Korean established brands and then Mara will face retrenchments and possible collapse of the company.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Prediction: You'll see these phones pushed hard by banks and/or Telecoms companies. The banks/TelCo's get to boost BEE scoring because of 100% rating of supplier and this Mara wara wara gets to move units.

The unsuspecting consumers who take out contracts or phones on repayment will suffer when the devices perform poorly and by then it is too late!

But, then, word will get out that they are terrible devices and people will then move back to Chinese/Korean established brands and then Mara will face retrenchments and possible collapse of the company.
Don't forget to throw a riot or two in there somewhere, before it all goes tits up :p

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I wonder what would happen if a group of people put a concerted effort into adding Zulu and Xhosa languages as a native feature of android. I wonder how difficult that would be. That would be a nice feature to offer.

Even of your phone is crap, a android device in your native home language would make the phone more accessible

Last edited:

clickingbuttons

Why don't they rather just take on Huawei and Cisco in the 5G game?

Come guys, local is lekker, we can make 5G techonology to compete with the big boys here

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
In its current form and pricing structure, this business will go bankrupt within 5 years.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I wonder what would happen if a group of people put a concerted effort into adding Zulu and Xhosa languages as a native feature of android. I wonder how difficult that would be. That would be a nice feature to offer.

Even of your phone is crap, a android device in your native home language would make the phone more accessible
It's already there...

koeks525

Expert Member
I certainly would love to try this phone as my next phone purchase. Really happy to see businesses like this start forming in South Africa.

One thing, I hope their pricing will be very competitive. Produce products on Huawei's / Samsung standard and undercut their pricing.

CT_Biker

Expert Member

Attachments

Pox

Expert Member
I certainly would love to try this phone as my next phone purchase. Really happy to see businesses like this start forming in South Africa.

One thing, I hope their pricing will be very competitive. Produce products on Huawei's / Samsung standard and undercut their pricing.
Not even close. There are significantly more expensive than similarly specced Chinese phones.

genetic

Honorary Master
Why don't they rather just take on Huawei and Cisco in the 5G game?

Come guys, local is lekker, we can make 5G techonology to compete with the big boys here
Lol, you think SA can manufacture world leading microprocessors? :ROFL:

It costs hundreds of billions of dollars to research and produce world leading microprocessors.

It's just not gonna happen.

Jacobofski

Mara compete with Samsung and Huawei? Not in their wildest dreams. Their highend phone has an entry level Snapdragon SOC SD435. And it is very expensive for such a low end processor. My earnest opinion

Yskasmetnstoof

How South African-made smartphones will take on competitors

Mara Phones recently opened the first smartphone manufacturing facility in South Africa, located in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal.

The manufacturing plant is the result of a R1.5-billion investment by Mara Phones that was supported by the government, with the opening being attended by President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Sorry. Don't think so. Unless they are REAL bargains, but this in South Africa so they will probably be more expensive.

Yskasmetnstoof

Lol, you think SA can manufacture world leading microprocessors? :ROFL:

It costs hundreds of billions of dollars to research and produce world leading microprocessors.

It's just not gonna happen.
They do ASSEMBLY local and call in manufacture.