How South African-made smartphones will take on competitors

SoldierMan

Lol, you think SA can manufacture world leading microprocessors? :ROFL:

It costs hundreds of billions of dollars to research and produce world leading microprocessors.

It's just not gonna happen.
Pretty sure clickingbuttons was being sarcastic..... if not, well :D

Captain Morgan

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Can't make this **** up. Innovating a phone lock :oops::laugh:. Who would buy a phone with this on it?
Samsung had this feature for ages...knox. Vodacom recently started selling phones based on this feature.

If the buyer default on the installment, Vodacom lock the phone until the arrears are settled.

jouda

Expert Member
Might be worth a look if they can compete with Xiaomi on price and specs....

krycor

Honorary Master
I think assembly (some part manufacture too) in SA or other country is coming for Apple and others.. why? Free Trade agreement, favorable status with countries etc. they need growth, and simplifying to trade in Africa makes it a growth market.

FlashSA

Executive Member
I think assembly (some part manufacture too) in SA or other country is coming for Apple and others.. why? Free Trade agreement, favorable status with countries etc. they need growth, and simplifying to trade in Africa makes it a growth market.
Definitely not SA. Labour here is expensive and problematic, to put it mildly.

friedpiggy

Labour aside, the plant would be shut half the day due to no electricity, Taxes are WAY high and then there's the unions. So while this might be a good idea at first glance, it won't happen once companies do their due diligence.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
I wonder what would happen if a group of people put a concerted effort into adding Zulu and Xhosa languages as a native feature of android. I wonder how difficult that would be. That would be a nice feature to offer.

Even of your phone is crap, a android device in your native home language would make the phone more accessible
now you just want to over complicate things for the overseas spies :ROFL: