How South Africans are tricked into signing up for R7-per-day SMS services

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Got one such poxy bloodsucker on one of my accounts.

CellC rep here assisted me in getting rid of that poxy leech.

Not fun.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Not everybody has the same intelligence and education has you. Don't you think those people should be protected?

Of course, I hate these bloodsuckers as much as the next person, but a little common sense goes a long way. If it seems too good to be true then it's too good to be true.

freddster

Expert Member
Oh come on, anyone with a half a brain can see that this is a scam from the very first sms. What do you think is going to happen when you get a random sms promising you a "reward" out of the blue? People who fall for this are the same kind of people who get scammed on dating websites.

People are desperate and will go for a bit of money and will end up caught by get rich quickly schemes. Very gullable.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Any WASP services use dishonest and use deceiving tactics to lure users into a subscription service which offers zero value. It should be outlawed as an unfair business practice. It's a tragedy that all cell phone providers are complicit in this purely for the money.

Fraud, to quote,

“This service is considered misleading to the end consumer. Entering this service was purely to claim the reward, and not to sign up to a subscription service.”

Flowerhat

I applied for a premium rated sms service once, the pricing was ridiculous (See below)

Vodacom takes 60% of all the payments you receive..

Naturally no business can function on this extortion so their only partners would be scammers who don't really provide a service.

As far as I know CellC implemented the first restrictions from these unsolicited signups.

The companies who are actively benefiting from this is Vodacom & MTN

Attachments

• vc.png
    vc.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 203
Last edited: