How Stop MTN #wegotu25 SMS crap?

ttygt

This f@&king MTN constant daily spam crap

What do I have to do to stop this daily crap

*130*603# Does not stop it.
*135# opt 3 then 6 Does not Stop it.
*136*5# Opt 2, 2, 3 ,1, 1 Does not Stop it.
*141*5# Opt 2 Does not stop it.
SMS Stop to 30246 Does not stop it.

What the flying f@$k can stop this crap?

There are so many many many many many threads here on the forum on stopping MTN spam.

Can anything be done?

Last edited:

The_David

The only way I could stop being subscribed to MTN crap illegally/without my consent was to leave MTN.

ttygt

I tried that twice before, but I need a MTN number, because, contrary to Vodacom bragging, most days their signals are NON-existent here in Gauteng.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

There are so many many many many many threads here on the forum on stopping MTN spam.

Can anything be done?

To fight SMS spam, I do the following:
  • If you don’t know the sender, then go to http://smscode.co.za/ and find the sender (it helps with the next step)
  • Lodge a complaint with WASPA – https://waspa.org.za/lodgeacomplaint/ (you can check your status here: http://old.waspa.org.za/unsub/status.php)
  • Ensure that in the WASPA complaint you state “Do not optout / disable / blacklist my number. My complaint needs to be taken up with the SMS provider’s customer”. Some SMS spammers share the same SMS provider and if WASPA requests a DNC (do not contact) you might also be opted out from banking SMS, security alerts or other SMS notifications which are relevant.
  • WASPA will normally take about 5-7 working days to respond. Sometimes they are faster. Give it time. They normally will contact the SMS provider and the SMS provider in turn will contact you.
  • Sometimes it happens that the SMS provider or their customer is full of nonsense, follow ECTA below
  • Also highlight that if the message is a marketing message, there needs to be an optout. Some senders will argue that it is not marketing (if so, also follow ECTA)

evilbob

Can anything be done?
I just block the number/s on my phone. No more silly SMS messages.

ttygt

Thanx to backstreetboy for the suggestions.

EvilB, I am using a KaiOS phone here. and there is no way to block numbers(that I have seen yet)

The basic problem is that MTN does not link their promotional database of numbers with any of the "OPT-Out" databse of numbers, so they just keep on sending this crap out.

Talking to their customer care is an experience in patience, which is NEVER rewarded.

This "we go to 25" crap, whtever the f that means is obviously something new, and they WILL force feed it down EVERYBODY's necks.

blunt

Expert Member
I've opted out of this crap like 20 times and it doesn't work. I've blocked notifications from the MTN number now. Maybe MyBroadband should ask MTN what's up with this spam @rpm?

I was informed MTM's spamming is worse than Vodacom's but never the less I get up to four messages from them a day. I have contacted them via Facebook and was assured I was put on a DNC list, but if anything it just made things worse. Getting a notification from their stupid app at 3 AM asking you to shake or scratch something is always fun. Opting out on their SMS's also leads to nothing. I was about to jump ship when I was informed the competition is even worse. Shouting at my Android asking for help from Obi-Wan Kenobi has also not resulted in a favorable outcome.

ttygt

So just now, effing again, Buy any Summer bundle crap crap crap crap crap wara wara wara.
Ending with Optout *135#.

Only I have been checking *135# daily, each day for at least the last 9 days, and as always the answer is STILL set to No for each of the 4 marketing crap options.

I have sent STOP to 30246 EACH day for the last 9 days, and ALWAYS get the You have been Opted Out sms back.

AND STILL THIS SMS COMES TO THIS NUMBER

WTF MTN?

ttygt

OK, phoned Call Centre AGAIN.

Again, ask to be removed from ALL MTN marketing.

Again the operator tells me she has removed me from all, BUT AGAIN I did not hear ANY keyboard clicks or mouse clicks on her side.

When I question if she has ACTUALLY done anything, or just told me she has, she seems to just fade away.......

ttygt

And as a result of my last effort to be removed from their marketing crap (by again phoning the call centre), I get these two SMS's

1. MTN #wegotu25, we're 25yrs old, thanks to you we have rewarded you with 50MB vaild for 7 days. Stand a chance to win your share of over R100 million in rewards

picardfaceslap.jpg

2.MTN: Overall, how satisfied are you with the service you received from ********(name of Call Centre Agent) when calling the MTN call centre?........(rating scale wara wara)

picardfaceslap.jpg

ttygt

Call them and cancel :p
Yes, I have twice in the past thrown away MTN sim-cards, because of MTN's constant spamming (the second was an Afrihost card, which I thought would be spam free, HAHA!).

But here where I am in Gauteng, my Vodacom signal, has over the last 20 years deteriorated to the point where I can no longer use Vodacom to make calls in my office, and since there is a MTN tower less than a block away, I like to use MTN to ALLWAS have a strong signal for phone calls.......

Sollie

Executive Member
Yes, I have twice in the past thrown away MTN sim-cards, because of MTN's constant spamming (the second was an Afrihost card, which I thought would be spam free, HAHA!).
Nope. I also had that bad idea, but on Axxess. Sorted by cancelling it.
Stuff the CPA, stuff POPIA - spam rules!

Mind you, Vodacom is not better and is why I deprived them of the privilege of being my cellular provider. Cell C also stuffs the pooch as well, but not at the same levels.

gottagoon

I'm not black. I'm white.
The constant MTN spam targeting me as a black pissed me off. I'm not yebo this yebo that. Yebo se moer.

MTN is aligned to marketing to blacks
And that's the truth