How Takealot deals with warranties on big-ticket items

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member

Takealot has apologised for a mix-up regarding the warranty on a customer's Samsung washing machine and refunded the expenses that the customer incurred as a result of the issue.

This followed a complaint sent in by a MyBroadband reader, which we took up with Takealot for further investigation.

The customer complained that he had been struggling for over two months to get their washing machine repaired or replaced under warranty.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I have the same problem with Loot.

However in my case the item has been with Loot for 2 months and I received zero communication, they don't reply to emails and have removed the ability to call them. I have finally received a non-automated or generic reply 2 months later, after pestering them on Facebook and Email.

Then they have the guts to end the email with

"thank your for your patience"

:mad:

Antelope

This followed a complaint sent in by a MyBroadband reader, which we took up with Takealot for further investigation.

@Hanno Labuschagne
Are you aware that according to the CPA(Customer Protection Act)
The customer is entitled to choose between a refund, repair or replacement within 6 months should the item be faulty?
Takealot states in this statement that they make this decision not the supplier.
This conduct of takealot.com is illegal and not in conformity with the CPA.
As a journalist, I suggest you clarify this statement with takealot.com.

Antelope

It shouldn't be that a company can use your website to advertise their illegal behaviour and you do not challenge them, but simply accept their statement.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
If I buy something from a company and give them money for the item then I expect them to handle any warranty support on that item.
Im not going to chase Samsung if I have an issue, I didnt buy from them so instead I would chase the company I gave the money to.

I had exactly the same problems with Takealot over the past few years. I purchased a Logitech G602 wireless mouse from them. The mouse started giving problems and I notified Takealot. Logitech's peripherals come with a 3 year guarantee which was stipulated on Takealot's website before I made the call. Luckily I made screenshots of the website (because I don't trust them) only to find that the website was changed to reflect "6 month warranty" after my enquiry. First they refused to do anything about it, claiming only a 6 month warranty on the goods, to which I responded with screencaptures of their website. They refunded me the price of the mouse as it was no longer "in stock". Needless to say, I got one from Amazon and I will never again buy from Takealot.