How the government is holding back fibre rollouts in South Africa

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
Municipalities wanted to do the wrong thing for the right reasons.

They should have set out an agreement by which the municipality would own the trenching, but the fibre providers would do the actual work. Fibre providers wanting access would pay the municipality and the fibre provider doing the work would get paid from those funds.

the paying fibre providers would get 24 months of early access to the fibre and at that point, anyone can apply.

Anomaly357

The private sector is holding SA and it's economy in a more stable state. Leave all the development in the hands of those who's able, not the ruling disabled.

wrinklyo

Give the devil his due

I agree that there's a problem with munics, but I've also heard that the fibre guys just trench merrily and rip up mains cables, water pipes, telephone cables, old coffins, etc. as though they don't care what's under the ground. Also in my own experience they block off visibility with all the orange shadecloth making driving a challenge, so there needs to be some common sense injected into the mix here. Like bedaar bietjie kerels!

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I agree that there's a problem with munics, but I've also heard that the fibre guys just trench merrily and rip up mains cables, water pipes, telephone cables, old coffins, etc. as though they don't care what's under the ground. Also in my own experience they block off visibility with all the orange shadecloth making driving a challenge, so there needs to be some common sense injected into the mix here. Like bedaar bietjie kerels!
What about the case where the 50kv cable is 5 meters away from where the plans say it is, and at half the depth it should be?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Too true - that could also exacerbate the problem.
Especially when it's the ONLY MV cable providing power to half of the suburb, because all the other links in the MV grid have failed in the past and just been bypassed, never repaired...

wrinklyo

Especially when it's the ONLY MV cable providing power to half of the suburb, because all the other links in the MV grid have failed in the past and just been bypassed, never repaired...
I'm detecting a faint hint of dissatisfaction here. Be positive - half the suburb had plenty electricity! :D
(Probably not your half, right?" :crylaugh:)

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Actually for once this blame is totally mis-directed. The problem is the HOA/Body corporates

Lupus

Honorary Master
Actually for once this blame is totally mis-directed. The problem is the HOA/Body corporates
In away I agree, it took me three long years of trying to get the rest of my body corporate to agree to get fibre installed in the complex I stayed in. They did eventually agree and come do the install, but I was moving the next month so it was pointless.

bigboy529

Expert Member
What about the case where the 50kv cable is 5 meters away from where the plans say it is, and at half the depth it should be?

This, I know a guy who is a drilling contractor doing a lot of work for fibre companies. His biggest headache is plans supplied by the municipality which is not correct, he often hits water pipes and power cables under ground. They then have a dispute about who's going to pay the damages, but this usually gets sorted quickly as the municipality will admit that the plans is wrong. But the municipality usually then takes ages to fix the damage.

Rustie

Little to none of this exist on areas on the west rand where fibre is installed by use existing street lighting poles, and planting poles where no street pole exist.