How the SA Post Office hired a convicted criminal

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
How the SA Post Office hired a convicted criminal

The SA Post Office has issued a statement on its investigation into a murder at the Clareinch Post Office.

Uyinene Mrwetyana was recently attacked and killed by an SA Post Office (SAPO) employee at the branch, who has now been charged with Mrwetyana’s murder.

Unreal

Now here's a catch 22.
Is jail for punishment or rehabilitation?
If someone is convicted should they never get a job and what are their options going forward?

Milano

Honorary Master
“Out of the 13,000 employees, SSA had found 300 records of which 174 were convictions in which the implicated employee was one of them.”

“These findings were made available to SAPO officials in June 2018 – however, the information was not disclosed to the executive and board. SAPO is investigating the circumstances that led to the information not been shared.”
:ROFL: :ROFL: it's likely still in the post - expect delivery sometime in 2022.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Now here's a catch 22.
Is jail for punishment or rehabilitation?
If someone is convicted should they never get a job and what are their options going forward?
For removal from society.

EDIT: And if the person is an armed robber, they should sit for 25 years minimum, in my opinion.

Unreal

You can get a job digging trenches or latrine pits not dispense sassa grants.
That's true. But again that would mean that most excons would choose to go back to a life of crime than dig trenches for the rest of their lives.
For removal from society.

EDIT: And if the person is an armed robber, they should sit for 25 years minimum, in my opinion.
Death penalty then? Otherwise we are just postponing the problem.
Get convicted for armed robbery come out and rape and kill a child.
I know there are no easy solutions, and some people really do turn their life around after prison, but is that a chance we are willing to take?
I really don't know what to make of this.

Milano

Honorary Master
That's true. But again that would mean that most excons would choose to go back to a life of crime than dig trenches for the rest of their lives.

I know there are no easy solutions, and some people really do turn their life around after prison, but is that a chance we are willing to take?
Happens all the time though. He at least waited a few years. Have read many stories of parolees in SA murdering within fewer than 72 hours after release.

RonSwanson

Expert Member

Proof of "rehabilitation" manifests itself in the demonstration of remorse, repentance and resitution. If that means doing menial labour for some time, then so be it.

Serious violent crime certainly deserves appropriate sanction, and the death penalty should be reserved for the most henious crimes.

thechamp

Honorary Master
“The preliminary investigation and the findings confirm that the alleged perpetrator’s employment did not follow the routine SAPO recruitment process, because his entry into SAPO was through a temporary employment agency,” said SAPO.

“In 2012, he amongst other temporary staff, was absorbed into SAPO. SAPO confirms that at the time there was no screening of these employees as they were already in the system via labour brokers.”
Already absolving themselves, it's the labour brokers fault.

What was the local manager paid to ignore the criminal conviction and not report it to senior management? That person should now be charged as an accessory to the brutal rape and murder of Uyinene. It won't surprise me if there are other victims.

Lindiswa

Expert Member
What was the local manager paid to ignore the criminal conviction and not report it to senior management? That person should now be charged as an accessory to the brutal rape and murder of Uyinene. It won't surprise me if there are other victims.
he has a rape charge that was dropped.. he is just sick in the head.

R13...

Honorary Master

I just meant you can't expect to go back into a position of trust. You'd not want a child molester to go back to work with children.

Antono

OMW there are some many things wrong with this. The most obvious one being that for convicted previously disadvantaged individuals it is standard practice, if not a prerequisite to have a criminal record to get employment. I mean just look at parliament so I'm not sure why this would be a surprise. I would love to see stat on how many convited rapists, murderers and thieves are walking our streets. And then this is just confirmation (not that we need it) that there is no, but NO bite in the 'legal' system. Our system gives 'getting away with murder' a very literal meaning.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Business as usual, wonder who his patron was, not that it matters much in our current political situation.

Peder

Hobbit
OMW there are some many things wrong with this. The most obvious one being that for convicted previously disadvantaged individuals it is standard practice, if not a prerequisite to have a criminal record to get employment. I mean just look at parliament so I'm not sure why this would be a surprise. I would love to see stat on how many convited rapists, murderers and thieves are walking our streets. And then this is just confirmation (not that we need it) that there is no, but NO bite in the 'legal' system. Our system gives 'getting away with murder' a very literal meaning.
Makes one wonder how many convicted rapists, muderers and thieves are sitting in parliament? *coughs*-Zuma-*coughs*