How thieves are plundering South Africa’s telecoms networks

Good work on the article guys, people generally only hear about the copper being stolen. Not the isolated cell towers with more valuable equipment.

Good work on the article guys, people generally only hear about the copper being stolen. Not the isolated cell towers with more valuable equipment.

+1

All base stations should have electric fencing inside the container with motion senses once triggered. Send law enforcement to the base station / security companies.

I wonder if communication would be affordable if no theft occurred

The trick is catching those higher up, people stealing that sort of networking equipment must have syndicate connections. They need to rig a 'bait router'.

+1
All base stations should have electric fencing inside the container with motion senses once triggered. Send law enforcement to the base station / security companies.I wonder if communication would be affordable if no theft occurred
should have motion sensing, intrusion sensors inside the cage, pickup entry even before people reach the container and alert security, perhaps double fencing to pickup intrusion even sooner, and give security some more time to come.
sure it will add cost, but perhaps cheaper than the loss

"They need to rig a 'bait router'." yes! fake router and/or nice honeypot battery with GPS that can finger the bastard taking it.

Last edited:
Rig a bait router.
Hire a number of gents with Paramilitary experience.
Make a anonymous phone call to the police reporting shooting and dead bodies.

Proximity detonators, sure the damage to capital will be excessive, but once they bastards catch on to what is happening and what the risks are, they will stop.
Too bad the constitution works heavily heavily in the criminals favour...

Proximity detonators, sure the damage to capital will be excessive, but once they bastards catch on to what is happening and what the risks are, they will stop.
:D i was thinking along same lines... rig one of the batteries with lil bit of explosives, if the battery is disconnected and moved, it arms, goes booom after x minutes when the crim is out of the container.
teach the installers, tech people how to work it for legit movements
it sounds rough, but are we serious about fighting crime? but yeah, not gonna happen though

This is why we can't have nice things...

+1

All base stations should have electric fencing inside the container with motion senses once triggered. Send law enforcement to the base station / security companies.

I wonder if communication would be affordable if no theft occurred
Nah, machine gun turrets a la Deus Ex. :D

Laser beams should do the trick! oh wait, put a big snake in there! a big hungry snake! a cross breed of a python and a anaconda.

Well seems like the constitution is working more to protect normal people from people who want to blow stuff up as a security measure.

Laser beams should do the trick! oh wait, put a big snake in there! a big hungry snake! a cross breed of a python and a anaconda.
Doesn't have to be a dangerous one. Ever seen them run from a normal sized python? :D

Communications surely is a declared strategic resource?
And the damage / theft / destruction of strategic installations should result in very severe punishment. How often are the perps caught though?

Well seems like the constitution is working more to protect normal people from people who want to blow stuff up as a security measure.

:D normal people... who should know not to take what is not theirs
i generally don't advocate violence... but i must admit, if somebody would willingly and deliberately come onto my property, and steal my stuff, and in the process would somehow loose a hand or something, i would find it near impossible to feel any sympathy, and rather hope that he would have learnt not to do the same again, something he knew in advance was wrong....

Even thats not a good idea anymore. One has to be careful even with snakes today; these okes will steal them for muti. I kid you not!

:D normal people... who should know not to take what is not theirs
i generally don't advocate violence... but i must admit, if somebody would willingly and deliberately come onto my property, and steal my stuff, and in the process would somehow loose a hand or something, i would find it near impossible to feel any sympathy, and rather hope that he would have learnt not to do the same again, something he knew in advance was wrong....

Cause alarms are only set off by thieves right? You have never set off your own alarm?

Cause alarms are only set off by thieves right? You have never set off your own alarm?
I don’t think a person who is authorised to enter a place will break the doors down or cut fences to get in.

Nobody would blow up if they obeyed the law in this scenario.
Are you scared you might get blown up on your next "shopping spree" ??

Back