How to calculate leave payout after resignation

Puk

Good day,

Hoping someone can assist me in explaining how one can calculate a leave payout after resignation based on the following scenario:

Salary: R38000.00 pm (before tax)
Accrued leave: 17,75 days.

No benefits with salary.

Would really appreciate your assistance.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
at our work your basic salary is calculated on 22 working days per month so with that it is easy to work out your daily rate. You will need to check with your salary department there how they work it out

Sensorei

Expert Member
Labour law states that an employee who works full time, 5 days a week works 21.67 days per month unless otherwise stated in their contract.

(38000/21.67) x 17.75 = R31,125.98.

Puk

Thanks guys. I'm lauging so hard right now... My shark of a boss wanted to charge ME R20k for training they sent me on last year. Turns out that clause in the contract is only valid for 6 months... And I resigned 7 months and 7 days after that training ended. According to TaxTim's SARS income tax calculator (using a monthly salary of 38k + the amount Sensorei calculated as input) he will now rather owe me close to R19k after tax (additional to last salary). He's such a horrible person, I don't even feel bad. I'm only sorry for my colleagues - they all want to leave but haven't been as lucky as me to find another job.

Last edited:

Shi

Expert Member
Does the company have limits on payouts on number of leave days? My previous company had a limit of 10 days.

Puk

Does the company have limits on payouts on number of leave days? My previous company had a limit of 10 days.
Well, I didn't know I could be paid for my leave not taken. But apparently, they have to (or that's what HR said). My contract merely states the number of leave days that I'm entitled to, not limits to what can be paid out upon termination or resignation.

Puk

Labour law states that an employee who works full time, 5 days a week works 21.67 days per month unless otherwise stated in their contract.

(38000/21.67) x 17.75 = R31,125.98.
Thanks. Confirmed this with our bookkeeper guy. He says it will be a bit more - because they calculated all the PAYE I paid and I paid too much over the year 18/19.

My (almost) former boss tried to force me to commit on paper that I will pay over R20k for training I went on over 7 months ago. Luckily my contract states I'm only liable for that within 6 months after training. So glad they now have to pay me for the leave I was never allowed to take.