How to cancel a cellphone contract with Vodacom and MTN

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Well,

Vodacom is a ripoff, how can they justify that when others can get it right?

jeinnor30

How is it even legal for Vodacom to do and get away with this, this can surely not be legal. Basically they get almost an extra year subs if I want to cancel my contract!!!

mcastudios

Why is everyone ripping on Vodacom when it seems Telkom has by far the worst cancellation policy? The way I understand it, Telkom is charging all the remaining months plus an R800 fee whereas Vodacom at least gives a 25% discount on the subscription portion. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong?

Forza

Why is everyone ripping on Vodacom when it seems Telkom has by far the worst cancellation policy? The way I understand it, Telkom is charging all the remaining months plus an R800 fee whereas Vodacom at least gives a 25% discount on the subscription portion. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong?

For Telkom it is the remaining period for device ONLY + R800, which in my books is also unreasonable ,and not the package as per Vodacom. Where they charging the remaining period of the device PLUS the remaining period of the package and 75% of this total amount.

So if the device is (R300 x 12 months) + the package which is say (R500 x 12 months) and 75% of this amount plus the current invoiced amount

Last edited:

dgcarter

I've always been of the opinion that a suppliers commitment to service excellence and their own confidence in their product is reflected in their cancellation policy. It's clear to see that Cell C is on the right track, with MTN close behind. As for the other two, well, it speaks for itself. They obveously have no faith in their own product, they anticipate that users would want out, and they put measures in please to ensure that can't happen, by making it as difficult and unaffordable as possible.

Forza

I've always been of the opinion that a suppliers commitment to service excellence and their own confidence in their product is reflected in their cancellation policy. It's clear to see that Cell C is on the right track, with MTN close behind. As for the other two, well, it speaks for itself. They obveously have no faith in their own product, they anticipate that users would want out, and they put measures in please to ensure that can't happen, by making it as difficult and unaffordable as possible.

^^

Same principle should applies to cars. If you believe you made an excellent vehicle your warranty period should justify it. Not a measly 3 years.

Last edited:

TPM

How can VODACOM get away with such profiteering ???
Its borderline fraud ?

dgcarter

How can VODACOM get away with such profiteering ???
Its borderline fraud ?

The trouble is that the CPA leaves the term "reasonable cancellation fee" open ended, it does not specify any critera as to what may be a "reasonable cancellation fee".

So basically service providers can charge whatever they want and claim this as a "reasonable cancellation fee" which, under the CPA, they are entitled to.

Then if you had the money, you could take them to court and argue that their "reasonable cancellation fee" is not reasonable. Which would probably cost you more than their "reasonable cancellation fee" in any case.

Venomous

Honorary Master
For Telkom it is the remaining period for device ONLY + R800, which in my books is also unreasonable ,and not the package as per Vodacom. Where they charging the remaining period of the device PLUS the remaining period of the package and 75% of this total amount.

So if the device is (R300 x 12 months) + the package which is say (R500 x 12 months) and 75% of this amount plus the current invoiced amount

VC is whatever portion of phone has not been paid, plus the current balance, plus 75% of the call/sms/data charges that remain for the contract. Meaning they charge for full phone(fair enough you do have the device), and then charge 3/4 of the rest of the call/data money, plus any unpaid but invoiced invoice(s)

effectively means that the 3/4 charge is the pentalty.
I don't think that is ethical, but anyone who subscribes to VC effectively agreed to it before taking ownership of the contract/device.

Forza

VC is whatever portion of phone has not been paid, plus the current balance, plus 75% of the call/sms/data charges that remain for the contract. Meaning they charge for full phone(fair enough you do have the device), and then charge 3/4 of the rest of the call/data money, plus any unpaid but invoiced invoice(s)

effectively means that the 3/4 charge is the pentalty.
I don't think that is ethical, but anyone who subscribes to VC effectively agreed to it before taking ownership of the contract/device.

Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying.

So using my example if the contract is R500pm it would be Eg. (R300 for the device x 12 months) + (R200 for the data/airtime/sms X 12 months) X 75% plus current invoice

mcastudios

Where do you get this information from? The article says monthly fee not device only fee. All the others talk about device fees except Telkom.

kooldude

Expert Member
Everyone is on Vodacom's case. However Telkom is the most expensive in this case. They charge you the full amount for the remaining period + 800 rands.

Thor

Honorary Master
Is still up to date, I have 4 people who want to cancel their Vodacom contracts but they all have 1 year left.