How to cancel Telkom lines or services

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I ported my number and Telkom stopped billing me for the line. But they are still billing me for the ADSL with no line. And the number is no longer linked to the account.

When you port your number the porting documentation should have had a section where you tick a box that says you either want keep existing services such ADSL after the port, or you want to cancel everything at once. Check what you selected, maybe you didn't indicate that you wanted everything to be canceled?

Suspect99

Executive Member
Difference in charges/amounts? (If so, how much?)
It is a different amount. Their is only one line item on the invoice for Business Uncapped 8Mbps. The rest of the line items have been removed.

I tried to follow the guide in the OP but my invoice doesnt have anything in the "service ref" block

Suspect99

Executive Member
When you port your number the porting documentation should have had a section where you tick a box that says you either want keep existing services such ADSL after the port, or you want to cancel everything at once. Check what you selected, maybe you didn't indicate that you wanted everything to be canceled?
I checked the porting forms from the VOIP provider. Doesn't look like there is a box like that.

If there was a box I was supposed to tick, where do I go from here?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I checked the porting forms from the VOIP provider. Doesn't look like there is a box like that.

If there was a box I was supposed to tick, where do I go from here?

Not sure, but I'm guessing your only option is to contact Telkom and ask them.

Cius

Executive Member
So we cancelled our landline last month and the bills stopped this month. In Feb however they switched us from copper the a router with a sim card in it. Anyone know if Telkom is likely to come retrieve their router? Otherwise I have plans for it to boost WiFi to a corner of my house.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Looks like their same shitty services applies to mobile accounts - I cancelled via their online platform on 13 July, for end of August. Besides the auto-response. I've heard nothing.

I've tried calling multiple times, they can't help me

I've emailed multiple addresses multiple times, no response.

I've submitted their cancellation escalation form multiple times, besides a auto-response saying they'll revert back to me in 24-48 hours - no response.

I've tweeted them - no response.

--- via their site - the account is still active, and still allocated the monthly messages, data, minutes, etc.

Looks like the only option is to reverse future debit orders.

Dill

Just reading all the comments and would like to know what's currently the best method to cancel a telkom line? Moved over to Vox dsl

JohnStarr

Expert Member
You need to cancel on the portal and make sure you have your final bill available. Telkom never sent that to me, so I ended up paying a little more than usually just to cover it.
6 weeks later I was handed over for not paying, so I paid the full amount I had paid. A week later they contacted me to say I have overpaid by a full invoice (go bloody figure!) and it took another 2.5 weeks of proving I was who I and Telkom said I was, along with proving I'd paid it to get my money back. They acknowledged I had overpaid due to their stuff up, but couldn't confirm I had paid.
Anyways, I am on Vox fibre now with no issues and no Telkom.

KungfuKenny

Recently went through this same debacle trying to cancel my Telkom line. I cancelled via the online portal in June, received a notification saying there's a 30-day waiting period bla bla bla, a month passes with no contact from Telkom I receive another bill, figure it was probably the final bill, paid it anyway even though we have moved house and was no longer using the service. Fast forward to August, I receive another damn bill! Logged a complaint with Telkom - no response from them - decided to lodge a complaint with ICASA, the very next day I hear from Telkom, apparently they couldn't cancel the line because it was linked to an ISP. I asked the consultant what the *** this has to do with me and why am I only hearing about this 3 months after initially cancelling. After a couple of more fights and Telkoms utter unwillingness to assist me the entire way I managed to get them to cancel the line. It no longer appears on my online profile but guess what - I'm still getting bills for it.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Just reading all the comments and would like to know what's currently the best method to cancel a telkom line? Moved over to Vox dsl
I attempted to cancel my now expired LTE contract with them through the portal about week ago. Went through the while process and was told that a confirmation email will be sent to me. A week later and nothing happened.
Had to go to the Telkom store today with my account. At least the person there was helpful enough to check but found nothing. He then applied for cancellation on my behalf and I then immediately received a confirmation SMS. Ten minutes later I received an email to confirm. So best bet would be to go to one of their stores.

Grouter

Expert Member
I went to a client just today, whose mother recently died. I asked did she ever get her telkom account cancelled (she'd been battling to do so for a year before she died).
Daughter said: "No. eighteen months now without any telkom services whatsoever, but now Telkom are trying to bill my mom's estate".
Telkom don't just hound you to the grave, they hound you into the afterlife.

Last edited:

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Cancelled my account in July (via the online platform) - just got an invoice for September. Telkom can get ****ed, and I've told them so. Reversing any future debit orders.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Cancelled my account in July (via the online platform) - just got an invoice for September. Telkom can get ****ed, and I've told them so. Reversing any future debit orders.

That sounds like your final invoice. It usually arrives about 2 months after cancelling. Just pay it and your agony should be over.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
That sounds like your final invoice. It usually arrives about 2 months after cancelling. Just pay it and your agony should be over.

The invoice is for services in September, my 30 day notice period would have ended on the 13th of August.

If I log onto their site - my account still shows as active.

Out of interest, I think I know what they've done. If you try cancel - you have to select the account, then number - but f you select multipe numbers under one account - it fails. So I think they've just cancelled the one number, and left the account as is with the other 3 numbers.

Last edited:

bvonfintel

2 years later and I still have debt collectors attempting to collect a fraudulent charge 3 months after I had cancelled, paid my final bill and stopped getting bills. I couldn't log a dispute because there wasn't an active account. "Nothing we can do" said Telkom, except to hand me over. Every time I send the evidence to debt collectors, everything goes quiet for a couple months until they sell the debt to the next debt collector.

Peon

Expert Member
2 years later and I still have debt collectors attempting to collect a fraudulent charge 3 months after I had cancelled, paid my final bill and stopped getting bills. I couldn't log a dispute because there wasn't an active account. "Nothing we can do" said Telkom, except to hand me over. Every time I send the evidence to debt collectors, everything goes quiet for a couple months until they sell the debt to the next debt collector.

But ask them if you can "activate" services again, they will find that account soooooooo fast!

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Just got the exact same copy and paste message from Telkom that the account has been cancelled in the current month, and the bill is still due. They can honestly get ****ed. I'm reversing the debit orders going forward.

I log on to the their website now. In July they cancelled one out four numbers on the account. Now they've cancelled another two - leaving one more active so next month they can do the same **** - bill me and say that they'll cancel the last number for the next month.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Logged a complaint with ICASA - lets see if it does any good.