• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

How to cancel Telkom Service

How To Cancel Your Telkom Service – Les’ Dummy Guide.
- or -
What We Discovered After An Hour Or So Of Wading Thru Telkom Help Sites, Dashboards, Google, Etc

Posting this because I know many friends who've been trying for months in vain to cancel, via email, online forms, '"helpdesk", telkom shops - Telkom's process in now Online Cancellation...

Prep & general advice
1 Have a .jpg or .pdf of your ID ready on your PC. Keep it small , I suggest under 1 Mb
2 Be patient – after hitting ‘send’ or ‘next’ sometimes nothing happens for a long time -without any ‘wait’, ‘processing’ or any such indication that anything is happening. Just wait.

The Process.
1 Go to Telkom.co.za. If you don’t have a My Telkom profile then choose Register from the Login menu to create one. Use your normal (don’t need to use a telkom) complete email address as Username Add your account detail. Need account no from latest bill and your landline no.
2 Once registerd, select the Login button in the top right corner to login to your My Telkom profile (MUST LOGIN TO THE OLD SERVICE PORTAL). – (this wasted at least half an hour going thru loops on NEW portal – can’t do it there)
3 Make sure you’re on Home (or Business) Accounts - you should see your name and account.
4 Select ‘Manage my accounts’ – wait.
5 You should see ‘Account Detail’ ‘Service’ etc – none of those work, gotta scroll right arrow, they’ve hidden ‘Cancel your Service’ AHA!! EUREKA, the mother lode! Hit “Go” (getting excited now)
6 Select Account. It’ll bring up your landline, broadband, and sometimes another service – all connected somehow. Go thru each, pull-down menus ask for date of cancellation – we selected a month ahead – and reasons (and subreasons) for leaving the fatherland of Telkom. Gotta select all options, then ‘NEXT’
7 Have to add at least 1 supporting doc (your ID) - Hit ‘+’ find your ID jpg/pdf - then here’s where it gets squiffy. Tried hitting ‘upload’ many times – ( ID.jpg was indicated in green underneath the ‘upload’ prompt. Just kept cycling us back to the browse file selection. Felt like, after all that, we’re just hamsters in a treadmill..... After sitting back and blessing Telkom for their wonderful website, it’s ease of navigation, helpfulness and lack of obscurity – that took a few minutes - Suddenly ! Screen popped up acknowledging cancellation, with ref numbers !! Congratulations/ high fives !! hugs, a few tears... (it was late at night by this time) I think the jpg starts uploading the first time you select – but very slowly, but with no indication it’s uploading – ours was only 165k.
8 Save a screenshot of the fruit of your labours! (hold Alt, press Printscreen – open a blank word doc, paste and save)

Bibliography:
The most helpful doc (in which was hidden in it the key to the holy grail - ‘old self service’ portal)
https://www.telkom.co.za/today/media/downloads/Three_easy_ways_to_cancel_online_V1.pdf

Madhawk

Honorary Master
Once registerd, select the Login button in the top right corner to login to your My Telkom profile (MUST LOGIN TO THE OLD SERVICE PORTAL).
This is what screwed me, the idiot on chat pop-up didn't mention that it's only the OLD SERVICE PORTAL that has the cancel option.

What if an old granny wants to cancel her service and doesn't have internet? Does Telkom even care how difficult they make it for the average customer?

Beyond.Celsus

Is this guaranteed though?
It may say it has been cancelled, but this is Telkom we are talking about.
What is to say you will not keep on getting billed?

I've been struggling for two months. Spoke to 4 different consultants. All guaranteed they escalated the matter.
Every time I call and speak to a new consultant they claim nothing has been submitted. The consultants also do not reply to your follow up mails.
I do not have faith that the online system is any different

mercurial

MyBB Legend
[MENTION=1]rpm[/MENTION] + [MENTION=94459]Jan[/MENTION], please could you guys do an article on this, if one has not already been done?

Luke7777

Executive Member
Download and fill in the form, walk into a Telkom shop ,wait, wait, ....go the counter, cancelled...

Beyond.Celsus

Download and fill in the form, walk into a Telkom shop ,wait, wait, ....go the counter, cancelled...
Interesting. When I go to a Telkom shop they tell me they no longer do cancellations. They gave me the document and instructed I mail cancellations

Beyond.Celsus

Okay, so I just got off the phone with them 2 minutes ago.

According to them you need to wait for the escalations department to contact you to confirm it has been canceled. This should happen within 7 working days. I called today after waiting 2 weeks after phoning and submitting my cancellation for the 4th time.

Explained the whole deal again. Got told again to wait for escalations to phone me since as per what I said it has been escalated (not confirming on which ever system they use.)

Ask her to check anyway.
Apparently it has now been canceled the 17th of this month.
I mention escalations never phoned me to confirm
"sorry about that, but it shows it is now cancelled"

Will have to wait and see, but after reading about some people struggling for over a year, two months is a mercy.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Interesting. When I go to a Telkom shop they tell me they no longer do cancellations. They gave me the document and instructed I mail cancellations
Strange... mine was done beginning of Feb. Cancelled both ADSL and landline, so needed to be sure . This was in Menlyn btw

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Also had issues cancelling my line. You also have to wait till the next billing cycle to get refunded. In my case they didn't refund the full amount in the first dispute. So had to lodge a second dispute for the following billing cycle - which they simply closed without refunding me. Eventually gave up with them still overcharging me for a total of one month.

Has anyone had success reversing the debit order at the bank? A guy at my office tried this and 2yrs later still has debt collectors after him despite the fact that he has all the evidence his account was paid up.

chrisc

Executive Member
We moved shop in 2001, different exchange area, so got new numbers. In 2014 asked for a second line. Was told that some R31500 was owing in respect of rental for the old number, which they said was not cancelled

So called the old number. A lady answers and says "hello". I explain what I had discovered. She has had this number since 2004 and recalls receiving 5 or 6 phone calls a while ago asking for the shop. She lives on her own as a pensioner and her telephone account is seldom more than R240,00, which she pays

The telephone directory shows the correct new number

Back to Telkom and tell them they are trying to sell the same service twice

"It will be escalated" they say. That was in 2014, some 4 years ago. Gave up waiting and now use Vox Telecom

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Also had issues cancelling my line. You also have to wait till the next billing cycle to get refunded. In my case they didn't refund the full amount in the first dispute. So had to lodge a second dispute for the following billing cycle - which they simply closed without refunding me. Eventually gave up with them still overcharging me for a total of one month.

Has anyone had success reversing the debit order at the bank? A guy at my office tried this and 2yrs later still has debt collectors after him despite the fact that he has all the evidence his account was paid up.
Tell the debt collector that if they try anything he will see them in court as well as at the regulator... that generally makes them piss themselves and go away.

rph72

Executive Member
My Telkom products are as follows:

FIXV: Landline (DSL_10Mbps_Promo)
BB: 021*******_1 (DSL_10Mbps_Promo)
TINT: TIN32***** (DSL_10Mbps_Promo)

To cancel my DSL, do I only select BB & TINT?

And when I'm ready to port my number to VOIP I cancel FIXV?

mercurial

MyBB Legend
They're still debiting me. I've yet again reversed the debit and attempted to stop it completely.

EDIT: I also can't find the cancel your service option mentioned in the OP. I think they removed it. The new portal doesn't even open. It just tries to load the entire time.

Last edited:

walterl

Expert Member

I reversed their debit order 3 months in a row after I cancelled at the shop. Luckily I have proof that I cancelled at the shop on 21 September. I was phoned by a debt collector twice during April/May 2018. The last I got from them was an e-mail on 7 May 2018 with a reference number to say my query will be attended to.

It is crazy, they seriously need to address this cancelling issues.

Beyond.Celsus

So, two months and 5 consultants later I finally got a confirmation sms stating my line has been canceled.
I still paid for the two months I tried canceling and I did not use the 'service', but am not about to get into that fight.
Will wait and see if the billing continues next month.

Mobster

They're still debiting me. I've yet again reversed the debit and attempted to stop it completely.

EDIT: I also can't find the cancel your service option mentioned in the OP. I think they removed it. The new portal doesn't even open. It just tries to load the entire time.
you need to use the old portal to find the cancel services option