How to connect my home pc to my 5.1 channel surround sound?

DevonBritton

Hey everyone.

Here's the scenario. I had my home PC connected to my Bose Lifestyle 28 system via an optical cable and it was working nicely. However, there seems to be an issue with the optical connection on the Bose system now so I want to switch to using the RCA connectors.

The problem is that I'm not sure how to get true 5.1 channel surround using 3.5mm to RCA cables? My PC Motherboard does support surround sound natively so I shouldn't need a sound card. The best I've been able to do so far is get stereo from the front speakers using a 3.5mm to RCA from the Green port on the PC to the AUX RCA's on the Bose.

I am in the process of trying to find someone who has another optical cable I can test with in case my current one is broken but it seems very few people even know what I'm talking about.

Pictures below...

10190_big.png

IMG_0181.jpg~original

garyc

Expert Member
The optical cable is for stereo only unless you use a compressed format like DTS.

Download the manual on your motherboard and it will show where those 3.5 mm outputs should go.

ash376501

it looks like it has 4 Analogue (over RCA) Audio inputs. If this is correct, you're not going to get true 5.1 out of those (L/R)RCA inputs. Does the Bose System by any chance have a S/PDIF coax out? that could work

DevonBritton

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Coax Type SPDIF
Single_0020_Composite_0020_Phono_0020_WM.jpg .

Your Amp...
Capture SPDIF.JPG

You need SPDIF from your PC to connect, as mentioned above, you might have the pinouts on your motherboard as its not evident on your back plate