How to find 10 Gbps USB hubs?

wir

The USB Forum decided to rename the USB 3 specification a few times. Now it's practically impossible to search effectively on any of the local online stores, I only seem to find 5Gbps hubs.

Are there any Type A or Type C USB hubs with at least 10Gbps of total bandwidth available anywhere?*

*That don't cost R1800, unless that is simply the price of the technology?

Last edited:

nivek

Executive Member
The USB Forum decided to rename the USB 3 specification a few times. Now it's practically impossible to search effectively on any of the local online stores, I only seem to find 5Gbps hubs.

Are there any Type A or Type C USB hubs with at least 10Gbps of total bandwidth available anywhere?*

*That don't cost R1800, unless that is simply the price of the technology?
USB 3 maxes out at 5Gbps if I recall correctly?

wir

USB 3 maxes out at 5Gbps if I recall correctly?

USB 3.0 (Up to 5Gbps) was renamed to USB 3.1 Gen 1.
USB 3.1 Gen 1 was subsequently renamed to USB 3.2 Gen 1.

So when we say USB 3.0 it also means USB 3.1 as well as USB 3.2, in broad terms. A big thanks to the USB Forum for that.

USB 3.2 Gen 1x2 (Essentialy USB 3.0 but with 2x lanes) supports up to 10Gbps
USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 also supports up to 10Gbps

USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 can in fact support speeds up to 20Gbps.

My motherboard supports up to USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 (10 Gbps). So I'm looking for a hub that can take advantage of that.
So far I'm finding only rather pricey dock hub options with HDMI, Ethernet or Type-C power delivery and those kind of features. I'm really just looking to extend a few high speed Type A ports onto my desk from my tower.
I may just end up settling for a 5GBps hub like this one with a Type C extension.

*Ended up just going with a 5gbps hub

Last edited:

moosethe!

Ugreen and Orico do sell them but I'm not sure whether the local importers carry those models.
Hi Jake45 have you ordered from Aliexpress, I am looking to buy something and it said the delivery is 7-15 days shipping from Turkey with sellers own shipping method and there is buyer protection as well. It seems very safe but I am just a bit worries as the product I want to buy is selling at a really great price and I just don't see how they could guarantee such fast shipping and still offer such a great price?

Jake45

Expert Member
@moosethe!: Yes I have bought a lot of items from Aliexpress. I usually do not ship them to South Africa as there can be problems with using the SAPO and couriers can be expensive. Some people do ship to South Africa but I try to avoid doing this although I have not received any of my orders since the beginning of the Covid pandemic since my personal courier has not visited SA recently!

In my opinion Aliexpress is the best online sales platform in the world at the moment. The prices, range of goods and promotions seem much better than on Amazon. I have also won several products in the Energy Lab game (electric toothbrush, Bluetooth speaker, USB cables, various coupons etc.) but getting them delivered to SA could be problematic.

The first thing to do before you purchase anything on Aliexpress is to copy the link of the item that you are interested in and then look to see if there is any price history so that you can check whether the price is regularly discounted or not. I usually use pricearchive but the price history may only be available for the cheapest item if the company offers a selection of different products in the same listing.
www.pricearchive.org

If you can wait a few weeks you might be able to purchase the item cheaper using an Aliexpress coupon or a promo code on one of their larger sales. You can probably get a 10% discount or 20% during the sales if you are lucky.

If this is your first purchase on Aliexpress I can send you a referral code which you can use to get $24 in Aliexpress coupons. There are various other first time user coupons that might be available to you but you can only use one Aliexpress coupon or promo code per purchase.

First decide when would be best to purchase the item using the price history. If the price does not get discounted regularly by much then you can load the referral code to see whether the coupons that you are given are useful or not. The referral coupons are usually only valid for a week and you can only use them once so you need to be ready to purchase once you activate them.

Post again if you decide that you want to order something and I will send you a referral code and some first time promo codes that might be useful.

moosethe!

@moosethe!: Yes I have bought a lot of items from Aliexpress. I usually do not ship them to South Africa as there can be problems with using the SAPO and couriers can be expensive. Some people do ship to South Africa but I try to avoid doing this although I have not received any of my orders since the beginning of the Covid pandemic since my personal courier has not visited SA recently!

In my opinion Aliexpress is the best online sales platform in the world at the moment. The prices, range of goods and promotions seem much better than on Amazon. I have also won several products in the Energy Lab game (electric toothbrush, Bluetooth speaker, USB cables, various coupons etc.) but getting them delivered to SA could be problematic.

The first thing to do before you purchase anything on Aliexpress is to copy the link of the item that you are interested in and then look to see if there is any price history so that you can check whether the price is regularly discounted or not. I usually use pricearchive but the price history may only be available for the cheapest item if the company offers a selection of different products in the same listing.
www.pricearchive.org

If you can wait a few weeks you might be able to purchase the item cheaper using an Aliexpress coupon or a promo code on one of their larger sales. You can probably get a 10% discount or 20% during the sales if you are lucky.

If this is your first purchase on Aliexpress I can send you a referral code which you can use to get $24 in Aliexpress coupons. There are various other first time user coupons that might be available to you but you can only use one Aliexpress coupon or promo code per purchase.

First decide when would be best to purchase the item using the price history. If the price does not get discounted regularly by much then you can load the referral code to see whether the coupons that you are given are useful or not. The referral coupons are usually only valid for a week and you can only use them once so you need to be ready to purchase once you activate them.

Post again if you decide that you want to order something and I will send you a referral code and some first time promo codes that might be useful.
Thank you Jake45 for this very informative and helpful post, I will definitely keep all that you have said in mind. Unfortunately I have ordered an item a couple of days before posting this so I cant get the new user discount anymore (that would have been really awesome) I do feel very confident with using Aliexpress as I looked up their buyer protection. Although my seller contacted me on Friday asking that I pay another $1 for shipping but I read on Reddit that this is pretty normal and that I should just reply that I am not paying any additional shipping. Funny as soon as I replied saying that my item was processed for shipping in 30 minutes. As I am just testing Aliexpress I ordered a very low-cost item and I am also going to see if it actually arrives in the post and if not if the buyer protection actually works. Any suggestion about a good forwarding company to use?

Jake45

Expert Member
@moosethe!: I always use the cheap Aliexpress shipping methods (Cainiao Super Economy Global, Cainiao Super Economy for Special Goods, Aliexpress Standard Shipping, ChinaPost, Sunyou Economic Airmail etc.) but I don't ship my parcels to SA due to all the shipping and customs issues etc. I often purchase lots of small cheap items and the SAPO collection fees would increase the costs substantially.

Before the international postage routes to SA were disrupted, some SA customers were reporting that parcels from China that were shipped using Yanwen were being sent to SA using the Buffalo Express courier service which is also used by Banggood and Gearbest etc. which is a quick, reliable and affordable shipping option to SA. I rarely see Yanwen shipping as an option at the moment but you could ask the seller and possibly pay a small surcharge to use this service if it is still available.

You could also ask Buffalo Express or investigate the ShopShipShake service as mentioned in this thread.

Unfortunately it sounds as though you have missed out on the new user coupons. If you use a referral code from a current Aliexpress customer, you should receive the following coupons -
$4 off $5, $3 off $10, $5 off $20, $5 off $30, $7 off $70 in addition to a $2 off $3 sign up coupon as well as a first time Coupon Pals coupon of $3-99 off $4-99 (need to complete 80+ taps).

You don't usually get such generous discounts once you are a customer! If you are already an existing customer then it is usually worthwhile to wait until one of the big sales to make your purchases as Aliexpress provides free discount coupons and promotional codes during the sales.

I recently bought this Amazfit Smart Watch for my wife for $53 during the 11th Aliexpress Anniversary Sale at the end of March. I managed to save $17 using both an Amazfit store coupon as well as an Aliexpress promotional code which was provided during the sale. You might get a slightly bigger discount during the 11.11 Sale.

I also purchased this Cherrywood radio for $20 using a variety of Aliexpress and store discount coupons.

Aliexpress should be having another big Summer Sale starting on the 15th June. They usually run promotions before the event where you can win various coupons and discounts. The large brands such as Huawei, Xiaomi, Realme, Oppo, Anker, Ugreen, Orico etc. usually offer big discounts during the sale but you need to visit their online storefronts before the event to collect store coupons etc.

Last edited:

moosethe!

@moosethe!: I always use the cheap Aliexpress shipping methods (Cainiao Super Economy Global, Cainiao Super Economy for Special Goods, Aliexpress Standard Shipping, ChinaPost, Sunyou Economic Airmail etc.) but I don't ship my parcels to SA due to all the shipping and customs issues etc. I often purchase lots of small cheap items and the SAPO collection fees would increase the costs substantially.

Before the international postage routes to SA were disrupted, some SA customers were reporting that parcels from China that were shipped using Yanwen were being sent to SA using the Buffalo Express courier service which is also used by Banggood and Gearbest etc. which is a quick, reliable and affordable shipping option to SA. I rarely see Yanwen shipping as an option at the moment but you could ask the seller and possibly pay a small surcharge to use this service if it is still available.
Hi sorry I am confused, or just plain stupid? You are saying you use the cheap shipping but don't ship to SA are you not in South Africa currently. I am looking at the Honor 3 Router on Alixspress and all the shipping offered is DHL at +- ZAR 1000 please explain to me in simple terms how to change this to Buffalo do I just ask the seller to send it via Yanwen? Or am I confused?

Jake45

Expert Member
Hi sorry I am confused, or just plain stupid? You are saying you use the cheap shipping but don't ship to SA are you not in South Africa currently. I am looking at the Honor 3 Router on Alixspress and all the shipping offered is DHL at +- ZAR 1000 please explain to me in simple terms how to change this to Buffalo do I just ask the seller to send it via Yanwen? Or am I confused?
You can instruct Aliexpress to deliver your parcels anywhere in the world that they operate. I live in SA but use an address in Ebetsu, Japan for delivery purposes. A family member usually brings my purchases to SA when they visit but this has not been possible for a while due to the current travel restrictions.

Since the start of the pandemic most of the sellers on Aliexpress have not been able to find couriers that can deliver parcels to South Africa at reasonable rates. As you have already noticed the international courier charges to SA are ridiculous!

You can contact the seller via the Contact bubble on the product listing. Ask them if they can ship the item to you in South Africa via Yanwen or Buffalo Express and how much this would cost. The Honor Official Store might offer a useful discount coupon during the Summer Sale.

Unfortunately I don't see that router listed on either the Banggood or the Gearbest websites. I think that both Banggood and Gearbest do offer reasonable shipping via Buffalo Express through the South Africa Direct shipping option.

If the Aliexpress seller is unable to ship the product to you via Yanwen or Buffalo then you can e-mail Buffalo Express directly and see whether it would be cost effective for you to get Aliexpress to ship the router to Buffalo in China and get them to forward the parcel to you in SA. I have no idea how much it will cost to get a single parcel forwarded to you in SA using Buffalo as the couriers usually offer preferential rates to their big customers such as Banggood and Gearbest. You might be able to get Buffalo to combine multiple orders into a single package to deliver to South Africa but you would have to discuss that with them.

Let us know if you are able to find an affordable method to ship items from Aliexpress to South Africa using Yanwen or Buffalo Express as many local customers would be very interested in doing this.

Last edited:

rambo919

Honorary Master
What I find odd is that it's almost impossible to get a good over USB2 hub anywhere that does not cost an arm and a leg. I am NOT going to pay R3000+ just for a hub/dock.

My "cheap" R400 manhatten USB3 hub was not only not actually USB3 (connecting at USB2 speeds) but now stopped being a hub... everything stopped connecting at some point and how it's just a multi-charger.

Can it REALLY be that expensive to just do a proper job of something so simple?