How To Find a Faster DNS Service with Namebench

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.simplehelp.net/2011/03/01/how-to-find-a-faster-dns-service-with-namebench/

We previously looked at how to add Google Public DNS to your home network, and also how to setup OpenDNS on your Router. Today we’re going to test them and a few others to help determine which is fastest.

1. Download and run Namebench from the Google Code site…no installation is required. The cool thing about Namebench is it’s cross-platform and will run on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

The Google Public DNS servers turns out to be the fastest DNS server for me.
I wonder if these are hosted locally as well?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
The Google Public DNS servers turns out to be the fastest DNS server for me.
The chances of that being true is like zilch. afaik there aren't even any google DNS servers in SA.

Do what michael said. Or you could save some time & either use your ISPs one or the SAIX/IS ones. Those three should have virtually identical latency & beat everything else.

who.is.michael

Expert Member
The chances of that being true is like zilch. afaik there aren't even any google DNS servers in SA.

Do what michael said. Or you could save some time & either use your ISPs one or the SAIX/IS ones. Those three should have virtually identical latency & beat everything else.

As per HavocXphere's msg: http://saix.net/cgi-bin/saix_dns.pl (choose the servers closest to you or District 9)

gksa

This benchmark app also returns dns1.mtnns.net and dns3-psi.3g.vodacom.co.za as faster options than my router (which seems to have copied IS's dnscache1.is.co.za data). dns2.mtnns.net, dnscache1-psi.3g.vodacom.co.za and MWEB's jhbdns2.tiscali.co.za are both also faster, but has only 98% reliability in one of the categories. My own ISP's dnscache1.is.co.za is slightly slower, and also not 100% reliable.

You posted in the other thread not to input DNS addresses into the router - what do I do with this info, then?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
You posted in the other thread not to input DNS addresses into the router - what do I do with this info, then?
If you create a PPPoE connection then the DNS info goes into the connection properties (on the PC). If its a NAT'd (normal) router setup then it goes into the router. COuld also be that he meant leave the router on "automatically configure"...usually it ends up using the SAIX one then.

who.is.michael

Expert Member
This benchmark app also returns dns1.mtnns.net and dns3-psi.3g.vodacom.co.za as faster options than my router (which seems to have copied IS's dnscache1.is.co.za data). dns2.mtnns.net, dnscache1-psi.3g.vodacom.co.za and MWEB's jhbdns2.tiscali.co.za are both also faster, but has only 98% reliability in one of the categories. My own ISP's dnscache1.is.co.za is slightly slower, and also not 100% reliable.

Remove your current ISP's DNS servers before testing, please read the documentation.