How to find spirituality or a sense of deeper meaning as an atheist / agnostic

surface

Executive Member
I dont like to refer to myself as an atheist, because that word, just like the word "bigot", has lost its meaning. I call myself a nihilist.
I get you but there are many overused/misinterpreted words like that. Theory means idle speculation for many. For example, I have a theory that Mmusi was a ANC cadre sent to destroy DA from within. Oh really, is it my theory now? So did you stop using word theory as well ? e.g. what would you call germ theory of disease?

Arksun

Expert Member
I get you but there are many overused/misinterpreted words like that. Theory means idle speculation for many. For example, I have a theory that Mmusi was a ANC cadre sent to destroy DA from within. Oh really, is it my theory now? So did you stop using word theory as well ? e.g. what would you call germ theory of disease?
100%. You hit the nail square in the bollocks.

The word theory gets misused a lot by the ignorant. Where the word gets used in regular speech, like where you about your theory about Mmusi being a mole - in that context suggesting theory meaning something simple like a hunch. It annoys me a lot when people take that definition of the word theory into discussions about scientific theories, especially in an attempt to discredit the theory of evolution, where the word means something else entirely. I'm sure that annoys you too. I usually tell those people to test the theory of gravity by jumping off the roof of a tall building.

Hell, even the word nihilist has lost its meaning. People now think nihilism is a depro circle-jerk, where it's in reality quite the opposite.

oRiX

"We are stardust."

The most beautiful idea science has. If spirituality is the feeling that we are part of something bigger than ourselves, Carl Sagan has a few perspectives that can really fill you with amazement.

"Humans are the way through which the universe understands itself"

It's kinda spiritualist 1970's but it really helped me to cement my position that being an atheist doesn't mean you have no depth of feeling or capacity to be awed. It explains our impermanence and our duty to ourselves and our species. Just keep moving forward.

Last edited:

grok

Honorary Master
I'm no expert in all this but have you considered getting a dog? Preferably a big one that you can wrestle & get physical with. People have therapy dogs for all kinds of things nowadays, why not for deeper meaning/spirituality?
Taking care of a living being will give your day meaning, and as a companion you'll find no better than a 4-legged playful doofus who looks up to you.