How to find spirituality or a sense of deeper meaning as an atheist / agnostic

rietrot

Honorary Master
>"Completely neutral" Nice try. If anything, Jordan Peterson is a Christian Apologist or / and a Cultural Christian.

@OP, great post and hang tight. You will get better and feel better.
Lol He doesn't comment on the existence of God so he can't be a Christian apologists. His stuff can actually be used to support the idea that the Bible is only some nice stories and poetry and nothing more.
We are all cultural Christians unless you were born into a Buddhist or hindu family.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Have you watched the Cosmos TV series? Both the old one with Carl Sagan and the new one with Neil deGrasse Tyson?

Prawnapple

Expert Member
We are all cultural Christians unless you were born into a Buddhist or hindu family.
Not quite Riet, see here the definition of Cultural Christian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Christian
Excerpt:
Cultural Christians are deists, pantheists, agnostics, atheists, and antitheists who adhere to Christian values and appreciate Christian culture. This kind of identification may be due to various factors, such as family background, personal experiences, and the social and cultural environment in which they grew up.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Not quite Riet, see here the definition of Cultural Christian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Christian
Excerpt:
Cultural Christians are deists, pantheists, agnostics, atheists, and antitheists who adhere to Christian values and appreciate Christian culture. This kind of identification may be due to various factors, such as family background, personal experiences, and the social and cultural environment in which they grew up.
So what's the problem with this or how does it not apply to you?

Prawnapple

Expert Member
I was just responding to your statement on, "We are all cultural Christians unless you were born into a Buddhist or hindu family." - Leaving only the option of that his is indeed a Christian at heart. I would argue his a Christian Apologist. But anyways. Sidewinding the thread here :p

Xarog

Honorary Master
Well there's just so much wrong with this. Christians who don't know what to tell people should definitely stop just telling them to pray harder.
And there is no guilt, that's why we had the reformation so that you don't have to feel guilty and don't owe the church money.

I would recommend Dr Jordan Petersons podcast on the biblical series that he does. He goes off on plenty of tangents about dealing with suffering and finding meaning in life. No believe in God is required, it is completely neutral and cover most of the stuff that some of the other commentators suggested.
https://www.youtube.com/user/paulvanderklay

You could also check out this youtube channel by a pastor basically taking on Peterson's work. He's actually done quite a few talks with people who are trying to put together a sense of spirituality for themselves. Perhaps you can find some company in their loneliness?

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
@Op
There is no 'meaning' to life, no purpose, no plan, no design, you live, you die. it is all completely and utterly random.
How you choose to approach that existence is all that counts.
Way too many people approach life from a linear point of view, i.e. they try and fit their belief system into a box as if they require some form of label or definition to describe who they are.
Tip # 1 ) there is no rule in life that says you must proscribe to this or that ideology or belief system, mix and match to suit what you feel works for you.
Tip # 2 ) learn to walk your own path in life, dont follow others. Their path is not your path.
Tip# 3 ) dont wallow in past mistakes, they are done, you cannot change them or undo them you can only learn and thus hopefully grow from them.

If you enjoy reading and dont want to read heavy philosophical or religious type books, the following 3 books profoundly altered the way i personally came to view life.
1) The Tao of Pooh - Benjamin Hoff
2) The Importance of Living - Lin Yutang
3) How to be Idle - Tom Hodgkinson

“Every man must find his own philosophy, his attitude towards life.”
― Lin Yutang

Splinter

Honorary Master
Dude, you keep on trying to imply that (your) religion is the bedrock of culture and values. Complete nonsense. Somehow you forget the Greeks and Romans. And then the Chinese and Japanese. They all had sophisticated cultures which incorporated values which we have these days as well.

No christian deity involved.

Xarog

Honorary Master
Dude, you keep on trying to imply that (your) religion is the bedrock of culture and values. Complete nonsense. Somehow you forget the Greeks and Romans. And then the Chinese and Japanese. They all had sophisticated cultures which incorporated values which we have these days as well.

No christian deity involved.
Just Western culture and values, actually. Plus, he's right.

Arthur

Honorary Master
@leniyl I understand your hunger. It's a deep existential emptiness, a low-grade but insistent and inescapable hollowness, sometimes a featureless and impotent desperation, at other times but two milliseconds from exploding rage.

Good for you that you're on the quest. Good that you intuit this is far more than just another trip. It's an epic and earth-shaking odyssey.

If you're really serious, you must of course know you'll progressively have to abandon all preconceptions. You'll have to leave behind and move beyond all social, family and personal scripts (most of which you have yet to discover, btw). You must be prepared to be ruthlessly honest to yourself about yourself.

So, gird your loins and be open enough to venture where you don't expect or want to go. It takes great courage.

STEP ONE

The first necessary step is to set out on the path of turning yourself into a thoroughgoing, radical and convinced atheist. Not just an intellectually convinced atheist, but a practical and practising atheist in your attitudes, affects and behaviours.

You are not only a mind, so mental / intellectual atheism just isn't enough to carry you through to the next step.

To be quite frank, I suspect you are still deeply infected by all sorts of goddy notions, a malignant deitistic demon that haunts and harries your being.

So you have to relentlessly hunt down, confront, and utterly and radically eradicate the god that you've constructed. And that god is not "out there". Neither is it in or inside you. Yet it has a face. A truly surprising and even shocking face...

Last edited:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Here's a question to the theists "how do you get a sene
Lol He doesn't comment on the existence of God so he can't be a Christian apologists. His stuff can actually be used to support the idea that the Bible is only some nice stories and poetry and nothing more.
Jordan Peterson has the habit of passing off prechristian Greek philosophical ideas as inventions of Christianity.

Xarog

Honorary Master

Jordan Peterson has the habit of passing off prechristian Greek philosophical ideas as inventions of Christianity.
Jordan Peterson says Christianity's invention was to personify the Logos in the individual. Jordan Peterson is factually correct on that point.

EADC

Expert Member

Christians are like the ANC revisionist of history.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Jordan Peterson says Christianity's invention was to personify the Logos in the individual. Jordan Peterson is factually correct on that point.
And how that work for the west for the first 1000 years of Christianity before Hellenic ideas started to return to the west?

Xarog

Honorary Master
And how that work for the west for the first 1000 years of Christianity before Hellenic ideas started to return to the west?
Well, it wiped out slavery for a start, so not all that badly.

You're not going to blame Christianity for the collapse of the Roman Empire, are you? :sneaky:

rietrot

Honorary Master

I haven't seen him pass of anything as anything else. He frequently reference other methodology and literature.

ShaunyCT

Seeing a psychologist in an hour. Poep scared of chemicals, as SSRI's made me more depressed, overweight, and took away my desire for a bit of leg-over.. The chemicals I am taking atm, is for my severe rage outbreaks. So there's that :D
How did it go there? You might have come out with answers or perhaps more questions.

This man does not belong to any religion, but he has some interesting experiences. His name is Bob Saunders.

Nick333

Honorary Master

I would imagine that's because Christianity was the conduit for those ideas into the modern day.

Nick333

Honorary Master
@leniyl I understand your hunger. It's a deep existential emptiness, a low-grade but insistent and inescapable hollowness, sometimes a featureless and impotent desperation, at other times but two milliseconds from exploding rage.

Good for you that you're on the quest. Good that you intuit this is far more than just another trip. It's an epic and earth-shaking odyssey.

If you're really serious, you must of course know you'll progressively have to abandon all preconceptions. You'll have to leave behind and move beyond all social, family and personal scripts (most of which you have yet to discover, btw). You must be prepared to be ruthlessly honest to yourself about yourself.

So, gird your loins and be open enough to venture where you don't expect or want to go. It takes great courage.

STEP ONE

The first necessary step is to set out on the path of turning yourself into a thoroughgoing, radical and convinced atheist. Not just an intellectually convinced atheist, but a practical and practising atheist in your attitudes, affects and behaviours.

You are not only a mind, so mental / intellectual atheism just isn't enough to carry you through to the next step.

To be quite frank, I suspect you are still deeply infected by all sorts of goddy notions, a malignant deitistic demon that haunts and harries your being.

So you have to relentlessly hunt down, confront, and utterly and radically eradicate the god that you've constructed. And that god is not "out there". Neither is it in or inside you. Yet it has a face. A truly surprising and even shocking face...
What's step two?

Edit: I'd recommend reading "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. It's kind of Christianity for dummies, but I've always liked the For Dummies books, because I'm a dummie.

Last edited: