How to find spirituality or a sense of deeper meaning as an atheist / agnostic

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I would imagine that's because Christianity was the conduit for those ideas into the modern day.
Except that for the vast majority of these type ideas weren't a part of the western Christianity for well over a millennium. And really only started to return during the Renaissance. Which eventually led to the enlightenment.

Last edited:

Nick333

Honorary Master
Accept that for the vast majority of these type ideas weren't a part of the western Christianity for well over a millennium. And really only started to return during the Renaissance. Which eventually led to the enlightenment.
Pick an idea that you think is as divorced from Christianity 1000AD and let's start there.

Edit: I accept nothing. Edit:

Park@82

Honorary Master
https://www.youtube.com/user/paulvanderklay

You could also check out this youtube channel by a pastor basically taking on Peterson's work. He's actually done quite a few talks with people who are trying to put together a sense of spirituality for themselves. Perhaps you can find some company in their loneliness?
I like Paul. At first I didn't, but now I'm finding myself listening to him more and more. He puts out more videos than I can find the time for...

Xarog

Honorary Master
I like Paul. At first I didn't, but now I'm finding myself listening to him more and more. He puts out more videos than I can find the time for...
Haha.

Well, if you're hungry for a spiritual message, he definitely puts out a lot of message for you to chew on. :D

Park@82

Honorary Master
Haha.

Well, if you're hungry for a spiritual message, he definitely puts out a lot of message for you to chew on. :D
Aren't we all.

“If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.” C. S. Lewis

ShaunyCT

The meaning of life is simple. Very Simple.

You have to create Positivity wherever you are and whatever you do. Everybody has that general purpose, however everybody has its own quest to complete their positivity, meaning we all have to contribute in our own way that has been set for us. The only problem is, we need to find our purpose in life on our own, however there is a person called Bob Saunders on Youtube, that can explain to you how.

rietrot

Honorary Master
The meaning of life is simple. Very Simple.

You have to create Positivity wherever you are and whatever you do. Everybody has that general purpose, however everybody has its own quest to complete their positivity, meaning we all have to contribute in our own way that has been set for us. The only problem is, we need to find our purpose in life on our own, however there is a person called Bob Saunders on Youtube, that can explain to you how.
You might be on the right track, but just positivity seem very shallow and over simplified.

I used to have the same view, with just be happy.

ShaunyCT

You might be on the right track, but just positivity seem very shallow and over simplified.

I used to have the same view, with just be happy.
Yes it does sound shallow and over simplified, I agree, however it has much power that you won't believe. If EVERYBODY or MOST of the population does this, everybody's lives will improve; crime will go down, starvation and poverty etc.

Sounds silly right? Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

There are people in this world that creates Negativity on purpose. Basically they trying to create chaos to everybody while in the meantime they feed off it and make money.
Go to Youtube and search THATS IMPOSSIBLE. just a warning, when you start watching the vids on there, you might get sad, depressed and frustrated.
When you see how bad it gets, it will make you miserable.

kolaval

Expert Member
I watched the whole clip.
Bit odd that it took 12 minutes for him to say just be good.
Then you need to listen to it again without distractions.
5 min in he concludes that life is suffering.
To derive the maximum meaning you must willingly accept it and play the game to the best of your ability.
Or you decide nothing matters but then nothing matters and you'll never have any meaning.

I hate these clickbait titles but here is another one that was interesting.

Mimen

Atheist, told my priest father and mother at 16 I'm no longer going to church. Could never see any sense in it and never believe a word since childhood. I need my life to be meaning full and not spiritual. I get a lot of meaning in my life by helping others. Meaningful and sustainable charity and NGO work. Meaningful friendships.

I have very religious family and they find meaning in it. A very good therapist in Johannesburg help me find that.

Mimen

That is how I found my purpose. It is an immensely satisfying feeling being good to others. Just spend a Saturday morning doing charity work and you'll see.

Leniyl

You will find a human sense of fulfillment and a sense of satisfaction and even happiness in doing good to others - or latching onto good causes, but you wont find spiritual peace as an agnostic or atheist, or an agnostic atheist (seriously?) - why? The philosophy opposes belief in spirit or deity.

Your question comes as a consequence of choice in your spiritual walk or being opposed to any belief in spiritual things. You may be able to satisfy your psychological needs by things others suggest you do - but without faith you wont find spiritual rest and peace, I sense you're kicking against "spiritual knowledge", you have come across it - but religious people ruined it for you. You cant have spiritual peace - if your philosophical choices kick against being open to spiritual things.

There is no faith in agnostic atheism. Why then seek spiritual satisfaction there? Its an oxymoron.

I can see that you have been hurt by religion from reading your post. And isn't that true for so many people? However - religion, is not the same as believing and having faith...if you want spiritual rest and peace, my advice to you is to keep a healthy curiosity about whether there is a deity or not...you wont find such a entity in religiosity or ritual, and certainly not in human philosophy such as agnosticism or atheism or a blend of both.

Mimen

Who is Paul, Paul who, sorry but I can't find the post.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
Or you decide nothing matters but then nothing matters and you'll never have any meaning.
Doesn't matter. Whichever you decide, that's the thing you were meant to decide on. Yes, I am talking about determinism / pre determinism.