How to find your marriage status online?

Stillie

Expert Member
Hi guys,

Im recently divorced and want to find out the marriage status to see if the government knows im divorced. I know there used to be a tool online that used to be here http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/index.php/civic-services/marriage-certificates but i see its no longer there or working anymore.

Verifying your marital status

Due to the large number of fraudulent marriages reported to the Department of Home Affairs every year, a facility has been created for you to check your marital status at any time. You will need your South African ID number in order to use this facility.

You can also sms the letter M followed by your ID number (example: M 5001010050080) to 32551 A reply sms will be sent back to your cellphone to confirm your marital status and the date of your marriage. (R1 per sms and will be charged by your network service provider).

I have followed the instructions to do it via SMS but still have yet to receive the SMS.

Does anyone know of another place that this can be done?

HunterNW

Honorary Master
The department's online service is currently suspended.

You can also visit your local Home Affairs office or contact the call centre at 0800 60 11 90, to check your status.

http://www.dha.gov.za/status/Status.html

Seems it's a NO GO online. Did you try the call centre ?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The law states that certain categories of people may not marry. These include:

People who are already married. bigamy is a punishable offence in South Africa. Such marriages are also null and void under South African law

I'm sure it isn't...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Unfortunately none of the online systems are working at the moment. You have to go.into a branch of home affairs.

Stillie

Expert Member
Ask your ex-wife...

/:D

:crylaugh: FIFY

I mean i have done the whole divorce thing gone to the court and they said the marriage is dissolved but i want to know if they have change it on the Stone that our certificate is chiseled on

terencej

Expert Member
Lol. you guys expected a government online tool to work? :crylaugh: (is this a Friday thread?)

bluepoole

As others have pointed out, the SMS function does not work, and there is not currently an online option. You must visit a Home Affairs branch or phone the customer service/call centre number: 0800 60 11 90.

Just phone the number, it is quick and easy. You don't need to speak to an actual agent or wait in a call queue. It is a "self help" option - just choose option 4 from the main menu (self help options) and then option 2 (marital status), you then punch in your ID number followed by the # key, and the system reads back the status which Home Affairs have on file for you.

I'm getting married in a few weeks and wanted to double check my marital status, that is why I had to check mine.

Just a tip - I had to try a few times to get it to work - the first three attempts, when I entered my ID number, it said "we are experiencing technical difficulties"...so just wait a few minutes if that happens, and try again, it worked for me.

georgef

Hi,
Many months later, and I can confirm that this service still works.
You will be asked for a reason for the request.

Regards

Reactions: MjK

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Hi,
Many months later, and I can confirm that this service still works.
You will be asked for a reason for the request.

Regards

Only the days the phone is answered, and those are far and few between.

Their online system collapsed in total.

HVR_likes_CZ

SMS service offline (still looks like you get charged the R1)
Call centre number not working for at least 2 weeks

FFS, tell me again why we can;t call this a shithole country? At least where government is concerned.