How to fix a door that was damaged?

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Tripped over my dog and went head first into the door.

Honestly surprised it wasn't a bigger hole.

What's the best way to fix this?

Attachments

• 61810368_1108847942658269_2206612217950896128_n.jpg
    61810368_1108847942658269_2206612217950896128_n.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 89

WAslayer

Executive Member
Some filler of some kind, sand the painted surface nice and rough, fill with fuller as close to level with the rest of the door and then sand the rest of the way till smooth.. paint..

Honestly though, internal doors are dirt cheap and I would rather just replace the door all together..

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Body filler type of paste, I don't know what its called, apply it over the crack, sand of and paint, it will look as good as new.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Some filler of some kind, sand the painted surface nice and rough, fill with fuller as close to level with the rest of the door and then sand the rest of the way till smooth.. paint..

Honestly though, internal doors are dirt cheap and I would rather just replace the door all together..
The cutting to size is a drag, especially without the right tools.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Yeah, but since InternetSwag was stumped on how to fix the crack, I would trust him more with a wood filler paste and a scraper that I would with a jigsaw and a hand plane.
Despite your sound logic, I would not want to judge his D.I.Y skills based on just a single question.. Perhaps he has already thought of filling, sanding and painting and was just curious to see if anyone here has found a different solution..

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Despite your sound logic, I would not want to judge his D.I.Y skills based on just a single question.. Perhaps he has already thought of filling, sanding and painting and was just curious to see if anyone here has found a different solution..
Good point.

WAslayer

Executive Member
OP, use your head and don't listen to this otherwise good advice. Do you really trust yourself with power tools after a concussion? Next you will ask us how to reattach a finger! :eek:
I assume you are not stalking OP medically to steal organs to sell on the black market and he mentioned this somewhere else..?

InternetSwag

Expert Member

Hmm, hadn't thought of that, perhaps replacing it is better.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Replace it. Filling it will take a whole day and frustrate you beyond belief.
Getting the measurements rights and cutting it to size. Getting the marking and drilling of the hinges, handles, and the locking mechanisms right the first time, versus filling the crack? What do you imagine would be the most frustrating part in the fixing?