How to fix an iPhone in South Africa for much cheaper than Apple can

Vice

Expert Member
What they don't say is that you too can fix your own devices for cheap. I fixed (replaced battery & hard drive) my own iPod Classic with the parts I imported/shipped from iFixIT from the US. Also you have an option of buying the required tools from them (if you don't already have them). Furthermore, they even have an app that gives you step-by-step guidance on how to do the repairs. It really not difficult to follow. Someone out there makes us think it's difficult to do these things because it benefits them.

Thor

Honorary Master
Is iFIX legal? Can't image apple said yes please take our sales and use our brand name.

neilronaldson

What they don't say is that you too can fix your own devices for cheap. I fixed (replaced battery & hard drive) my own iPod Classic with the parts I imported/shipped from iFixIT from the US. Also you have an option of buying the required tools from them (if you don't already have them). Furthermore, they even have an app that gives you step-by-step guidance on how to do the repairs. It really not difficult to follow. Someone out there makes us think it's difficult to do these things because it benefits them.

+1 here

another example, is changing the brake pads on your car yourself - its actually bloody simple, but no the dealership wants to do it, rather have it done by professional - why? if i do it or you do it - same...alot of stuff can be done ourselves - but that takes business away from them...

Pixelbender

At R19,000 per sponsored article I would throw in the odd one or two to get you guys fuming and talk about it... and not really care what you think, because you will come back tomorrow and read the other nice stories that I post.

Yep.. mybb going downhill

Napalm2880

Expert Member
I was at an iFix store and overheard a guy walk in for a quote to replace an iPhone 6 Plus screen. R6800 :wtf:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Is iFIX legal? Can't image apple said yes please take our sales and use our brand name.

You mean the i branding? Probably one of those cases where in SA it doesn't apply or they simply don't have a copyright on that.

iFixit.com exists after all.

As for the subject at hand...sure take it to a third party but don't expect to have 100% the same quality as taking it to an official repair with official Apple parts.

Screens especially it becomes very apparent very quickly if it's a cheap chinese close.

But doing it yourself is pretty easy, especially on the iPhone 5 and newer where the screen is now the front as you would expect and not the "back" of the device.