How to get a free Apple Watch with Discovery Vitality

The_MAC

Executive Member
I'm not even going to read the article, but will guess that you have to visit the gym 1000 times a month, buy R10,000 rand worth of health products at PnP and never ever claim from your medical aid, correct?

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
Not getting a crappy Discovery credit card! You are basically paying for the watch with all the charges added to your account!

CyCliC

What is an example of a goal? Are they crazy like a 20km run type of thing?

Skimmie

What is an example of a goal? Are they crazy like a 20km run type of thing?
The goals are points based, so for example this week I need to get 500 points.

A gym visit is 100 points and then you can get up to 100 points per day depending how many steps you walk as well.

There are a bunch of other ways to get points too but these 2 are the most common and easy.

CyCliC

The goals are points based, so for example this week I need to get 500 points.

A gym visit is 100 points and then you can get up to 100 points per day depending how many steps you walk as well.

There are a bunch of other ways to get points too but these 2 are the most common and easy.
Thanks for responding. Ive changed my medical aid to Discovery in 2016 and signed up for Vitality so Im trying to figure out what to expect. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week for around 2 hours per session. 20-30 mins cardio. I hope that's enough to rack up some decent points.

cozinsky

Expert Member
Thanks for responding. Ive changed my medical aid to Discovery in 2016 and signed up for Vitality so Im trying to figure out what to expect. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week for around 2 hours per session. 20-30 mins cardio. I hope that's enough to rack up some decent points.
Be honest with yourself. I doubt that you go to gym 5-6 times a week for 2 hours session.

CyCliC

Be honest with yourself. I doubt that you go to gym 5-6 times a week for 2 hours session.
Be honest with yourself? Don't talk about things you know nothing about. Some people actually take lifting/training seriously and enjoy that life unlike casuals like you.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
You need an iPhone 5 or later - I'm out.

It's really a pity that they don't offer a similar deal with other fitness devices, such as a Fitbit or something. Something compatible with Android most notably.

CyCliC

pfft when I was a gym bunny then I easily did the same except I was there 7 days a week.
I actually have to force myself to take rest days. I hate taking days off. Some people will never get that. Gym is addictive once you start seeing results.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict

It's really a pity that they don't offer a similar deal with other fitness devices, such as a Fitbit or something. Something compatible with Android most notably.
As mentioned in the other thread, get the apple watch, sell it and get a garmin or smart watch flavour of your choice.

rsfriend

"Only one member per Vitality policy can activate the benefit once every 24 months."

That sucks a bit for couples on Vitality, assuming both were interested. So it's "rock, paper, scissors" for the first one then a 2 year wait before the other member gets a chance. And you need to wait 4 years - by which time the Apple Watch may be a bit old in the tooth - if alternating with a partner to get a new model.

Would also have been more useful if they'd offered the larger version of the watch rather than just the 38mm model.

I suppose it's better than nothing but feels a bit restrictive.

NihilimSA

Weekly Active Reward goals met in a month.

How much do you pay if you don't meet any? It only has options for 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Can you make it it up during the first week if you are very active? What happens if you race an Ironman and then take few weeks easy? Pay full price because you are a lazy bum?

I like the incentive but there are flaws that need to be ironed out and recent personal experience with Vitality support suggest that it will not be looked into.

Get some input from actual fit people while you are still in "testing" phase.
Offer more insight into the personal goals. ATM doing a lactate threshold interval run for 29mins will grant no points because it is not 30 mins long. Please get people that know how fitness works to help design your system.

I have lots more examples of how the points system is severely flawed.

Great potential if they just manage to put effort in and not just phone it in.

Cray

Honorary Master

+1, was keen until I saw that requirement.

Batista

Executive Member
So workout or cough up.Like a Army General on your wrist at all times.Not a bad idea.Pity about requiring an iphone.

km2

Expert Member
https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/individual/vitality-news-ways-to-earn-vitality-points

That's what it looks like in 2016. They're changing it around a bit to give very different points depending on the level of activity. In this past year you would get 150 points just swiping into the gym, and pretty much the most you could get as "bonus" points from a long/strenuous session was an extra 50 points.

Now it looks like they're trying to push the whole device thing, so as shown in that link they will give 600 points for one 2 hour moderate workout. They can only track that kind of stuff if they get people onto recording and syncing their fitness devices.

Other thing to bear in mind is that they do ratchet up the weekly point goal over time, so not quite sure where it ends if one commits to it. Having said that I am also on the 500 point goal, but it did start from a 350 point weekly point goal.