How to get a land line number with Neoflex

za1

Expert Member
I have posted this information in the following thread:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?216405-neotel-lite-dropping-100-of-calls#post3616184

But I think it deserves a thread of its own.

I have often read Neoflex users asking whats the best way to get a land line, as the device has no handset or land line option, and often the answer is get the neotel light package - but NO, that is the worst option.

If you get the Neotel phone you will either have to sign a two year contract or you will have to pay over R600 for the device, then R99 a month and then for any calls you make, this adds a hefty amount to your phone bill each month.
and then not to mention, the high rate of calls being dropped and overall poor call quality, just read the various neotel threads for proof of this.

A cheaper and better option is to use the new Skype service, where you can select a South African land line number from either Cape Town, Durban or Johannesburg.
The advantages over Neotel

A: You can select your actual number from a wide range from any of the 3 city formats
B: you dont have to purchase an expensive device - a Skype headsets costs from R120
C: you can determine the length of your contract - from 3 months to a yearly
D : A lot cheaper than Neotel - It costs someting like R40 a month for the 3 month contract and then you can select your own budget for outgoing calls - or you can select the option with unlimited calls
E: Voicemail - what neotel cant offer, skype can - if you are down or offline, the calls automatically go to voice mail
F. Call forwarding - you can forward calls to any land line or cell phone.

There are many more features. which you can check on skype
I wonder why Neotel dont offer this option to all the neoflex users, as it looks like from the number format, that skype are using the neotel backbone for this - I guess neotel would rather sign up extra suckers for their useless phone service?

The disadvantage of Skype is that you need a decent broadband connection, but I find I have better quality calls on Skype than from Neotels phone, and the vocie mail option is just priceless! Plus I now have for my business numbers in CT, Durban and JHB!:D

VMS

"I wonder why Neotel dont offer this option to all the neoflex users, as it looks like from the number format, that " ... because FlexData isn't reliable.

"The disadvantage of Skype is that you need a decent broadband connection" ... Exactly

I would love to do it but I sometimes battle to download text emails.

za1

Expert Member
"I wonder why Neotel dont offer this option to all the neoflex users, as it looks like from the number format, that " ... because FlexData isn't reliable.

"The disadvantage of Skype is that you need a decent broadband connection" ... Exactly

I would love to do it but I sometimes battle to download text emails.

At least then you have the option of either calls going to voice mail, which you don't have with neotel, or diverting the calls to another phone.

This though is more of a solution to the one or two people that have a working neoflex data service, or am I being presumptuous in assuming they are out there?