How to get back in to gym?

gumpie

Hey there.

I used to be quite active at gym at the beginning of the year. Then i got married and it kinda slipped away.
I am really keen to get back in to gym but i just cant seem to get the motivation.
Any ideas?

Pitbull

Verboten
Hey there.

I used to be quite active at gym at the beginning of the year. Then i got married and it kinda slipped away.
I am really keen to get back in to gym but i just cant seem to get the motivation.
Any ideas?
I'm in the exact same boat. Went back to the Gym again after 3 months away. I was pushing iron as if I'm still active. I hurt my Bicepts so bad I couldn't straighten my arms for a week :(

Just start off slow mate and build from there. Motivation you will never get. Just make it routine ;)

blunomore

Honorary Master
Exactly what Pitbull said.

If you wait for motivation or "the intense desire to work out" to hit you, it will not happen. You have to make it part of your daily (or bi-daily) routine, just like brushing your teeth or checking your mail. When you have done that for long enough, you wil become addicted to it and actually miss it when you cannot gym!

Jonny Two Shoes

Expert Member
I am trying to get back into it myself but start a home routine that would save me money as I can't afford the real deal.

I just can't push myself to wake up an hour earlier though :( Whenever I wake up I just reset the alarm. :eek:

AntiThesis

Executive Member
I got out of gym a couple of years ago and found it really hard to start up again. Best thing is to find some people who are keen as well and then you can all motivate each other. Works wonders.

PhreeMe

Expert Member
I got out of gym a couple of years ago and found it really hard to start up again. Best thing is to find some people who are keen as well and then you can all motivate each other. Works wonders.
This I agree with wholeheartedly!! Been back in gym now for a year... I train with someone though. Just a bit of banter/encouragement helps a lot. If you're on your own though, get an ipod, and put on some heavy tunes :D

Otherwise as Pitbull and Blu have said, go slow. Dont scare yourself Out of doing gym. If there's a circuit, maybe even start on that, then progress back to what you were doing.....

killadoob

Honorary Master
I am trying to get back into it myself but start a home routine that would save me money as I can't afford the real deal.

I just can't push myself to wake up an hour earlier though :( Whenever I wake up I just reset the alarm. :eek:
exactly how am now :(, since winter came along i cannot get up before 7 let alone at 5:30 to do some home gyming.

Anyone here every used the wII fitness thing, i need something to help me get back into it, everyday i say i will start from tomorrow haha.

Pitbull

Verboten
exactly how am now :(, since winter came along i cannot get up before 7 let alone at 5:30 to do some home gyming.

Anyone here every used the wII fitness thing, i need something to help me get back into it, everyday i say i will start from tomorrow haha.
LMAO !

U lazy bastard :D

Fiekus

Expert Member
LOL this is the age old problem and the fitness clubs make a k!lling :D
I was quite active last year, from Jan to May. Decided I wanted to get fit and went to gym on 1 Jan! Went 6 days a week for 5 months, then it got colder and I couldn't get up anymore LOL! I prefer going in the morning before work, and the gym was close to home. Had a discovery gym membership.

I changed jobs last Nov, lost the discovery membership and now I've joined a gym at work. Been a member since 1 Aug and I haven't been once :D Kept putting it off because I don't have track suits lol!
My problem now is, to get to gym before work, I have to bring my clothes with in the car, shower and get dressed before I get to the office. OR I could go after work but then I'm too tired... :confused:

killadoob

Honorary Master
I already do the wii boxing pitbull and let me tell you something, that is a work-out of note.
Sore arms, back and stomach, a seriously good upper body work out :)

Pitbull

Verboten
I already do the wii boxing pitbull and let me tell you something, that is a work-out of note.
Sore arms, back and stomach, a seriously good upper body work out :)
I have to admit, I played Wii Tenis with my Borther in-law a few weeks ago :eek:

And it wasn't the normal tanies it was a game he bought seperatly not the same as the other he got with it which was kinda fun. The new one he bought you had to actually control the player to run to the bal and then hit. That was some serious workout. I was stiff the monday :D

enx

music

Its all about going there - once you're there you do stuff - it's just a matter of getting into your car and driving. A friend is helpful but I also find taking my ipod with really gets me going -

Now this isn't advised but it worked for me - you can try taking 2-3 phedra-cut pills half an hour before your workout so that you dont bail out before getting to gym... (they get you pretty buzzed and energetic (they've got caffeine and all kinds of bad stuff) and once you have taken them you have to work the energy off otherwise it gets really weird being all amped and having to stay still)

limnos

Expert Member
The best thing I would recommend is getting a gym partner...

You always motivate each other and help each other out. I feel bad canceling a gym session, as I know very well that my friend depends on me spotting him in the gym...

Just my 2 cents...

spiderz

Honorary Master
Use GPS to find the gym, and just walk in the front door. :D

blunomore

Honorary Master
Went 6 days a week for 5 months, then it got colder and I couldn't get up anymore LOL!
I am the opposite - I gym all year round, but I much prefer going to gym in winter. Since I live 2 km from the gym, I jog there, do 45 mins and jog back home.

If you live in Jhb where the current temp is around 30 degrees, and (like me) you go to gym in the afternoon, you just about want to collapse from heat after jogging, gymming and jogging again.

guest2013-1

Exactly what Pitbull said.

If you wait for motivation or "the intense desire to work out" to hit you, it will not happen. You have to make it part of your daily (or bi-daily) routine, just like brushing your teeth or checking your mail. When you have done that for long enough, you wil become addicted to it and actually miss it when you cannot gym!
I must have a very non-addictive personality. Because if you tied me up (no pun intended) and forced me to not to my daily routine I can live without it.

If I never check email again, so be it. If I never come back to these boards, so what. Same thing OP is talking about I guess.

I'd recommend just start doing it. Maybe get the woman involved (which you need to do VERY carefully, don't want to go and get divorced just because you insinuated she's fat now do you...)

Other than that, I'd recommend sex for exersize. If you're not exhausted after sex then you're not doing it right...