How to get Disney+ in SA

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
How to get Disney+ in SA

Although Disney+ is still not officially available in South Africa, there is a workaround for accessing the video streaming service in South Africa.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The first critical tool you will need is a VPN with support for US servers.
Yes and no, mostly no. A full on VPN is unnecessary. A smart DNS works just as well and allows you to watch services from different regions simultaneously.

Also - if you're going through all that effort why not signup for the hulu/disney/espn bundle and save a few dollars.

saor

Honorary Master
With the second season of the service’s The Mandalorian now in full swing, many local Star Wars fans will be turning to torrent sites to pirate new episodes of Din Djarin and Baby Yoda’s adventures.
Wut? Second season finished on the 18th of December.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Yes and no, mostly no. A full on VPN is unnecessary. A smart DNS works just as well and allows you to watch services from different regions simultaneously.

Also - if you're going through all that effort why not signup for the hulu/disney/espn bundle and save a few dollars.
How?

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

Not really, doesn't work on my nvidia shield pro. But got that covered with a vpn app...

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
Is/was your smart dns set up on your router or on the Shield Pro?
On the shield, exactly as it should be. I even cleared the apps's caches, restarted the shield and the same thing. Note... netflix > help > network info and it does show the smart dns settings, but still says hey fokkof :ROFL:

Not going to reroute the whole house. Things like ESO gives you **** for running on these "smart" dnses.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
On the shield, exactly as it should be. I even cleared the apps's caches, restarted the shield and the same thing. Note... netflix > help > network info and it does show the smart dns settings, but still says hey fokkof :ROFL:

Not going to reroute the whole house. Things like ESO gives you **** for running on these "smart" dnses.
There you go - I think it should be done on the router so all my devices (iOS, android, and rokus) can take advantage of it. With four people wanting to watch different things at the same time it makes more sense... and of course it actually works.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This. They can't be losing money if they refuse to take your money in the first place.
That argument/justification fails when they've licensed their content to local distributors.

At the end of the day I suspect that most people claiming they would pay if they could, won't.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
There you go - I think it should be done on the router so all my devices (iOS, android, and rokus) can take advantage of it. With four people wanting to watch different things at the same time it makes more sense... and of course it actually works.
Sure that works too, but some apps and services has issues with this like Eso Account management (elder scrolls online). However tizen os had no issues with this and worked perfectly with dns directly set on it. *shrugs*

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
That argument/justification fails when they've licensed their content to local distributors.

At the end of the day I suspect that most people claiming they would pay if they could, won't.
Like @Rickster downloading to pay one day for cyberunk 2077 :ROFL:

I might add shudder.com to the list of my streams. Currently only running netflix, vrv.co and spotify. Just don't know where I'm going to get the time to consume the all sorts of entertainment. haha.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Sure that works too, but some apps and services has issues with this like Eso Account management (elder scrolls online). However tizen os had no issues with this and worked perfectly with dns directly set on it. *shrugs*
Then you give those machines the DNS that you want them to have and it circumvents those of the router. For me it would have been too much hassle setting each device up separately.