How to get hotspot & tethering working on your iPad [iOS 6]

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
iOS 7 Warning
Apple have patched this loophole, but all providers now have official iPad carrier bundles that support hotspot.

Disclaimer
This is a pretty trivial process, but be sure to make a backup of your iPad before you start. I won't take responsibility for problems you encounter.

How it works
Essentially this is an iPhone carrier bundle which has hotspot turned on with a modified version number which we manually update onto the iPad (pretty simple fix if you think about it!).

Supported Devices
iPad 3rd Generation (iPad 3 aka the new iPad)
iPad 4th Generation (iPad 4 aka the new (new) iPad)
iPad Mini

Who can use it
This works for Vodacom, MTN and (finally) 8ta users. Cell C users don't require this hack.

Carrier Bundle
Your carrier bundle version depends on your iOS version. The idea is to bump it up with a very small incremental so when an official update is released it should overwrite my update.

Download the bundle that corresponds with your iOS version below and move on to the installation steps. I have had reports of some browsers appending .zip to the end of the .ipcc file. You have to make sure the file ends in .ipcc otherwise iTunes won't recognise it.

Cell C
iOS 7: Working same was as before. Just set your APN to internet
iOS 5/6: No hacking required just follow the steps from Paul Jacobson.

Vodacom
3rd Gen
iOS 7: As of iOS 7 there is an official carrier bundle update (15.1) for Vodacom users
iOS 6.1: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33168480/carrierbundles/Vodafone_za_14.1.1.ipcc
iOS 6: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33168480/carrierbundles/Vodafone_za_13.0.1.ipcc
iOS 5.1.1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33168480/carrierbundles/Vodafone_za_12.0.1.ipcc
4th Gen & Mini
iOS 7: As of iOS 7 there is an official carrier bundle update (15.1) for Vodacom users
iOS 6.1: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33168480/carrierbundles/Vodafone_za_14.1.1.ipcc
iOS 6: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33168480/carrierbundles/Vodafone_za_13.5.1.ipcc

MTN
iOS 7: As of iOS 7 there is an official carrier bundle update included for MTN users.
iOS 6.x: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33168480/carrierbundles/MTN_za_10.1.1.ipcc
iOS 5.1.1: If someone can confirm what the carrier bundle version is on iOS 5.1.1 I can create one, otherwise if you are on 5 just use the one for 6.

8ta / Telkom Mobile
iOS 7: Status: As of 6 December 2013 there is an official carrier bundle update (15.6)
iOS 6.1: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33168480/carrierbundles/8ta_za_14.1.1.ipcc

Installation
Make sure iTunes is closed before proceeding.

Mac OS X
Open up Terminal.app and paste in the following
defaults write com.apple.itunes carrier-testing -bool true

Windows
For Windows 32bit, open up Run (Winkey+R) and paste the following:
"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

If you’re running Windows 64 bit, do this instead:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

Tip: If you are struggling with this step rather open a cmd prompt to see what the output of the command is. If it completes successfully there is no output (i.e. cmd just gives you a new prompt).

ipad_hotspot_1.jpg

Update Carrier Bundle
Connect your iPad, open up iTunes, select your iPad from the sidebar, and hold down option (Windows users, hold down Shift instead) while you click on update. An explorer box will pop up. Select iPhone/iPad Carrier Configuration Files in the drop down and browse to the .ipcc file you wish to load. If you cannot select .ipcc then your carrier-testing setting failed. Repeat that step.

ipad_hotspot_2.jpg

ipad_hotspot_3.jpg

Check Carrier version and enable hotspot
Check Settings > General > About. Carrier should correspond to what you uploaded. i.e. 10.1.1, 12.0.1 etc.

Go to Settings > Cellular Data > Personal Hotspot and toggle it to On. If it does not try a reboot and check again.

Note: Instructions and screenshots are for iOS 6. The menus are slightly different on iOS 5.

Last edited:

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Before Update
ipad_hotspot_4.jpg

After Update (note the Personal Hotspot under APN Settings)
ipad_hotspot_6.jpg

Toggle On/Off to enable
ipad_hotspot_7.jpg

Last edited:

MaximusZA

Hi Morkhans thanks a million for this guide! but when i visit that link its giving me a 404 page not found error, not sure if its just my side. Do you need a dropbox account to download it?

thanks

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hi Morkhans thanks a million for this guide! but when i visit that link its giving me a 404 page not found error, not sure if its just my side. Do you need a dropbox account to download it?

thanks

All 3 links are working for me. You don't need dropbox.

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Bertin

Do you think there is a way to edit the ipcc file to get the personal hotspot working on 8ta? Cause they have no idea what is going on.... :mad:

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Do you think there is a way to edit the ipcc file to get the personal hotspot working on 8ta? Cause they have no idea what is going on.... :mad:

Not possible. Since iOS 4 Apple started signing key parts of the ipcc files, so you can't just edit the bits that enable the features you want. If you do that the ipcc file becomes invalid.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Not possible. Since iOS 4 Apple started signing key parts of the ipcc files, so you can't just edit the bits that enable the features you want. If you do that the ipcc file becomes invalid.

Try harder. :p

terenceg74

Hi there

I followed the instructions exactly, everything seemed to go fine with no errors.
But it didn't seem to work. The only change I think is under APN Settings, which now has a separate section titled "Internet Tethering".
If I select "Mobile Data" in settings the only options I can see are "Mobile Data", "Data Roaming", "APN Settings" and "SIM PIN"
I have the new Ipad 3 running IOS 5.1.1.
After going through this process "Carrier" is now Vodacom 12.0.1 - don't know what it was before (suppose I should have checked).
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
How to get hotspot & tethering working on your iPad 3rd gen

If you now have an Internet tethering menu then that's what you want.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Go look at the last 2 screenshots of the cell c link I posted. It shows you what the menus in iOS 5 look like.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
morkhans, the ipad mini only connects to wi fi when I we are at home, is there an adapter of sorts one can purchase to plug in to give it its own "wi fi hotspot" when not near a router?

R13...

Honorary Master

morkhans, the ipad mini only connects to wi fi when I we are at home, is there an adapter of sorts one can purchase to plug in to give it its own "wi fi hotspot" when not near a router?

Your mini is wifi only. It connects to any wifi hotspot you have access to. If you are not home you could use a phone that can act as a hotspot to connect it to the Internet if you're in a area with no wifi.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
Your mini is wifi only. It connects to any wifi hotspot you have access to. If you are not home you could use a phone that can act as a hotspot to connect it to the Internet if you're in a area with no wifi.

Thanks R13...

I have a phone that can do that but I was wondering if there was anything on the market that you can plug into the ipad or ipod touch that would somehow create a hotspot.

R13...

Honorary Master

Thanks R13...

I have a phone that can do that but I was wondering if there was anything on the market that you can plug into the ipad or ipod touch that would somehow create a hotspot.

It does not make sense to turn your iPad into a hotspot because it does not have cellular. The purpose of the hotspot as described in this thread is to allow your other wifi devices to share the cellular data that comes from your SIM.

And to answer your question in simpler terms, no I don't of such a device. I can't imagine it would make sense

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator

If its wifi only you may as well just buy a router with a battery that will function as a hotspot. Tplink have one which you can use your existing 3G modem or you can get an integrated one like the Vodafone R201.