How to get your Smart ID at the bank

Iroiro

Why can't they just print the card right there and then? They have a card printer after all.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Misleading article and misleading title. It is NOT ready for the public.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Why not Capitec as well? :(

Or can I open an account with one of the four, get my ID, and close the recently-opened account soon afterwards? :confused:

rph72

Executive Member
A Smart ID costs the same as the old ID book. Your first one is free, and a reissue is priced at R140. Everyone trading in their ID book for an ID card will have to pay R140, though.
Will hang on to my old ID book. Call me a cheap bastard. :whistling:

chrisc

Executive Member
My local FNB claim to know nothing about it. Didn't go into ABSA as there was a long queue for enquiries

cozinsky

Expert Member
I find it amusing that on the first photo Jacques Celliers shows his ID card but that the journalist still manages to misspell his name under the photo caption where he poses with the Minister.

eg2505

Honorary Master
question: can I submit my own ID photo?
even if its as a photo? or do they take photos there?

still stuck with that horrible DL photo, takes me a few tries to get a decent ID photo and they didnt allow me to use my photos I have;

really do look like a martian on my DL

Mr Feesh

Expert Member
I think they mean that if your id hasn't expired but you want to change it any way, you will have to pay.

labratza

Expert Member
i need to get new ID book cos mine is destroyed but been waiting cos the ques are a nightmare

R13...

Honorary Master
Stinks that you have to a customer of that. What if your bank doesn't have physical branches?

bokdrol

Executive Member
So yet another let-down.......:mad:
Then suddenly they will announce the mass rollout, with an unrealistic deadline and then everyone and his dog will have to apply all of a sardine and there will be endless queues and delays......:mad:

ttygt

This is bullcrap.

The only gov'ment dept that needs all your private information is SARS, and they already have it all, so no, sorry, ANC, you cannot have my fingerprints, e-mail account, personal phone number and link to what is my bank account details (as I would have to provide through THIS process).

Nice try.