How to get your TV licence cancelled

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah, until they decide its not cancelled anymore, and back date the billing and start getting annoying again.

Happy Days

What happens when the digital migration is completed and your tv can no longer get any signal? Not that I watch any SABC/ETV/DSTV, jut curious.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Cannot wait for their business to go permanently lights out.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Yeah, or you can just ignore them and block their calls. What are they gonna do? Nothing.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
This problem is easily solved by the rollout of the digital set-top boxes and killing the analogue broadcast signal. Unfortunately that would also mean the end of the SABC as their licence-paying base dissolves with the process.

Wag

Expert Member
Did not pay for ages and it seems they gave up on me. For the better part of 2 years no more phone calls or letters of demand.

cyb3rt

Still getting a lot of calls (if I look at history of blocked Truecaller calls) but still a lot of SMS's coming in. Stuff about some vouchers that I will get if I start paying.. I don't actually have a TV anymore and haven't had one for years but trying to cancel this thing is going to create headache's I would rather avoid.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I actually got a call from some debt collection agency asking for a "Miss Theo" for outstanding TV Licence payments. I'm definitely not a miss, and my surname is lightyears from Theo. So I just said there's nobody by that name here, they have the wrong number. They then sent me an SMS apologizing for the inconvenience and said they'll stop messaging me. They have.

cyb3rt

I actually got a call from some debt collection agency asking for a "Miss Theo" for outstanding TV Licence payments. I'm definitely not a miss, and my surname is lightyears from Theo. So I just said there's nobody by that name here, they have the wrong number. They then sent me an SMS apologizing for the inconvenience and said they'll stop messaging me. They have.
Hmmm maybe I should take the block off and actually answer, just saying it's someone else's number now... If I didn't have such an easy to remember number I would have considered changing it

fedileprojects

I found a very simple method when my mother died. I got all the normal rubbish from SABC and then I hit on a brilliant idea. I changed her address to "St Peters c/o heaven" and have never seen an account since. For those of us still living lets hope that the SABC go under soon.

John Agar