How to go about finding work aboard

crackersa

Honorary Master
Yeah I like Texas and the COL is so low as well. My dad is actually based up in the DC area doing contract stuff for the government.
Oh nice, I went to high school in the DC area. Cost of living is ridiculous though. And traffic is insane going into DC from any direction.

FuLL_MeT4L

Expert Member
What type of qualifications do you have, and how much experience? Do you consider yourself "highly skilled"?

If yes for these, I would expect the company that sponsors you to pay for everything. My overseas move didn't cost me a cent.

In terms of getting there, you can use an agency, but you can also apply for jobs directly (do so on company website and LinkedIn), so make sure you have an excellent LinkedIn profile and good web presence.
Hey cguy, what makes you say "company website and LinkedIn"? Is there some benefit to applying through both platforms?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I also often wonder how commonplace it is to get financial assistance from the new employer to actually make the move. Without that you're in for another world of hurt to cover flights, moving your stuff, temporary accommodation, etc
All of the above plus spending money for 1st month. It obviously depends on circumstances though. From what I can tell it's more common in finance circles than other professions.

Meet a girl or guy from the country you like and immigrate to them.
A lot of the 1st world countries have rules against this decidedly obvious move...

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Australian companies probably would have paid all your costs 15 - 20 years ago but now if you don't have a very rare skill or aren't in Australia and have the right to work they really don't care. While I was in SA i did a few interviews via skype, one company even said I was the perfect candidate but they didn't want to be responsible for putting pressure on me to move, even though I said I would be willing to pack my bags that day and go.

Many of the work visas in Aus have been slashed from leading to PR. Now they have different work visas, some lead to the possibility of PR and others don't. Also many companies screw you over because they know you rely on them to sponsor you after 2 years of your work visa. To be honest I would never recommend people come over to Aus on a work visa as it's very risky.

Realistically when applying for PR visa you're looking at about R100k minimum.

For 2 people (cost have probably gone up):

IELTS English Test: R5000 (R2500 x 2)
Medicals: R3000 (R1500 x 2)
Skills assessment: R5000 for software developer (GF did teacher assessment after which was probably a few thousand)
Unabridged birth certs, police clearance, passports etc: R2000
VISA fee: R60 000 ($3600 for primary, $2400 for secondary)
Agent Fee: R15 000 (talked down from $5000)
Airline tickets: R30 000. GF had to go back and finish term of teaching so actually cost another R15 000
Shipping boxes of items: R12 000
Sending pets: R160 000

I'm sure there are plenty of other costs involved there.

Think with my pets the whole process cost R300k R350k but obviously this is far above what it would cost other people.

There are also other costs like living expenses when you have land this side and don't have a job. Rent can easily be between R3000 - R5000 a week (a ****ty hotel will cost you R1000 - R1500 a night), then you got water, elec, food, transport as well as costs to get a phone, convert drivers licence, buy car etc etc. It is definitely worthwhile to have someone who stays where you are wanting to move so you can board with them, you save a ton of cash.

On the flipside after my GF found work we were set. With us both working we live a pretty decent life and can afford to save about R600k+ equivalent a year with 2 international holidays (2 cheaper destinations a year) so very quickly recouped our costs.
Yeah, two of my friends who recently went over had the same experience finding work. One in finance and the other in the software industry. Once they were there they found work within a month.
My other friends went over around 2009 ish, and they were lucky enough to get a sponsorship. The wife was in the mining health and safety industry, and they paid everything. Once there, she didn't like her job that much and got another company to buy her debt from the original one. The mining boom has since ended, so doubt that kind of thing will happen now.

How many pets did you take over? We are in for 3 when we go.

vorman; said:
As my post above, be prepared to pay agency fees. This is also not a promise of job placement.
Also, not a promise of getting the actual visa. They facilitate the process for a hefty fee (something you can do yourself also), not promise you a visa at the end. If you do go with them, at least you'll have a place to stay while searching for jobs that side.

For me:
No friends/family anywhere.
Not prepared to pay R40k for something that's not guaranteed.
I cannot afford to just resign hoping to go to another country looking for a job even if I do get a VISA through an agency. I need to have a confirmed job offer first for security.

Hence, resorted to online searching and hoping for the best I guess.
You should know if you are going to make it or not by looking at the points you can get, so it's not exactly the lottery. Having heard from friends what it costs to go over, I've had time to get used to the idea of a move setting you back R300k - R400k to land there with your stuff, pets, get a job, and then still going from being a home owner in SA to a renter in Aus.

cguy

Expert Member
Hey cguy, what makes you say "company website and LinkedIn"? Is there some benefit to applying through both platforms?
Just to get more visibility. Some of these companies skim over hundreds of resumes a day, being in two (or more) piles often means that you are considered twice, and possibly by different people. Only one of them has to decide it is with moving forward.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
<snip>
How many pets did you take over? We are in for 3 when we go.
<snip>
Took 2 dogs and 3 cats. For 3 dogs I imagine it will be around R120k.

Make sure you get the process rolling 6 months before you intend on leaving, there is a very strict process that adheres to the 6 month time period.

Xino_sam

Expert Member
From what I remember, two of the age cutoffs where you get fewer points are 33 and 40. I have slightly more than a year to get my application in before I hit 40.
mmm suppose I have to stop looking now :(

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
I did both. But LinkedIn is where I got a bite. A bite that ended up me sitting here in the Netherlands typing this post.

I also often wonder how commonplace it is to get financial assistance from the new employer to actually make the move. Without that you're in for another world of hurt to cover flights, moving your stuff, temporary accommodation, etc
It all depends. The company I am working for now, paid for everything (Visa/work permit to get me here etc). That is something in the order of 5000Euro. I will pay for my container etc, the relocation part itself. They also pay for my wife and kids's permits, if the kids are still minors. Unfortunately mine are not.

So how do they compensate you for upping your roots and moving? The company does not, but the government does. It is called the 30% ruling. Fo 5 years, 30% of your salary is tax free. Lets call it an inconvenience allowance. There are other benefits, like just handing in your SA drivers license and getting a Dutch one, without a test.

As for age, they don't give a ****. It is not about how old you are, but what you can do. Retirement age here is 68, so I still have a good few years to go.