How to handle a South African cop asking you for a bribe

eg2505

Honorary Master
how to handle a bribe?

do you want Coke, or Fanta?
:p

seriously, why cant one submit officers that take bribes via whatsapp o be reported?
I mean there already is the whatsapp traffic line, why cant it be expanded to bribes?

3WA

Executive Member
how to handle a bribe?

do you want Coke, or Fanta?
:p

seriously, why cant one submit officers that take bribes via whatsapp o be reported?
I mean there already is the whatsapp traffic line, why cant it be expanded to bribes?
Great idea in theory, but cops who do this are often smart enough not to leave evidence. It can't just be the motorist's word against the cop, otherwise lawbreaking motorists will abuse this system every time they're fined.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Great idea in theory, but cops who do this are often smart enough not to leave evidence. It can't just be the motorist's word against the cop, otherwise lawbreaking motorists will abuse this system every time they're fined.
That's why one needs to be prepared. Make a small mark on a R100 note, or choose one with serial numbers, photograph it and keep it in your wallet, don't use it until the day comes, pay the bribe with it, and then lay a charge at the SAPS. The corrupt one will need to explain the note in his/her possession.
The downside is that if successful, this may result in court time a few years later, and only a slap on the wrist for the cop.

hungrymamba

Expert Member
Sometimes you can't really tell if they want a bribe... but there are code words... 'so, what can we do about this situation'? Or 'it's really hot today'...

Last edited:

Antono

Is this guy really this naive? Is this a cut and paste from a 1st world experience?

"remember that you will be able to lay formal criminal charges against the cop concerned." :D:D:D:D:D

Does he have any idea how many cops are walking around with criminal records and pending cases? Neither do I but I know that 1 is 1 too many. Rapists, murderers and thieves are left to roam the streets and they will actually spend time pursueing a case against one of their own!

SilverCode

“All traffic officers are peace officers, not ‘police officers’. There is a distinct difference between the two and the powers they possess in view of their official capacity.”
"But after stressing this fact, we aren't going to tell you what the difference is. It doesn't matter though, because the distinction has absolutely no relevance to this article since it is illegal for both peace officers and police officers to request bribes."

ttygt

The article headline is seriously misleading.

These "things" discussed here are NOT cops.

They are city council employees, hired to increase city council revenue, and are not Police in the traditional sense of the meaning BY ANY MEASUREMENT.

krycor

Honorary Master
Audio record including reading out their number plate after/before along with details such badge, names etc. do however comply as minimally as required

Hoffie Hoffmann

Much easier said than done. Why stress the difference between peace and police officers? I consider this article most unprofessional and misleading. Doing this you could well end up being beaten up or locked up as has happened to so many drivers

hj007

Sometimes you can't really tell if they want a bribe... but there a code words... 'so, what can we do about this situation'? Or 'it's really hot today'...
Yup thats why I havent had to pay yet. I usually struggle to understand cops, so they generally just ask you to move along.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Sometimes you can't really tell if they want a bribe... but there are code words... 'so, what can we do about this situation'? Or 'it's really hot today'...
My answer would be
1: I broke the law, give me a fine.
2: Sure is, hopefully we get some rain soon.

Both of which put the ball squarely back in the officer's court. If you as a law abiding citizen see those as an opportunity to pay a bribe to avoid a fine, you should be locked up just as much as the officer. Stop being part of the problem.

garp

Executive Member
"He added that if a peace officer falsely alleges that you have committed an offence, you should not argue against it, but simply wait for your trial instead."

My experience in situations where cops have falsely accused me of nonsense to try and solicit a bribe (and yes it's happened more than once) has been that while you shouldn't be belligerent or give them any grounds to arrest you, you should politely make it crystal clear that you will go to court if necessary and will lay a complaint against them. In all cases, they've eventually backed down and just waved me on. They are waiting for the suckers who will either just pay, or go ballistic so that they can threaten them with arrest.