How to import from GearBest and more

thehuman

Expert Member
3xShipping or was it over the threshold for free shipping? Under R700 or so shipping would be cost for each parcel as it is being sent from different warehouses.

So sometimes having R440 of parts and maybe R54 SA direct shipping fee I would checkout and see the odd part from a different warehouse needing another R54, and maybe another warehouse as well bumping the fee unexpectedly.
All sa direct , the shipping for all combined was +- r60 , the r60 was split between 3 x way bills, different warehouses does makes sense tho , only problem could be if they ask for id or importers code

LuqmaanMathee

All went well, cleared customs yesterday, no questions, or issues.Gearbest did what they always do under report the the value. $112 for the two tablets and $2 for screen protectors, shipping was reported as $50. Total customs was R432, the under reporting saved me R600+. Ironically DHL them self don't have the area code on the system so they used area code 9401 which is an entirely different town 100KM +. But I guess they do this so that it gets routed to the correct hub being bloemfontein. In total I saved about R1200 in shipping and custom fees.

Now just waiting for delivery which might be today or tomorrow, this will give me some indication whether or not the area code used will cause issues.Area codes are generally a stuff for me, as not even MTN has the 9945 area code on their system they actually choose the closest town which is 9950.

Yeah so my advise would be to check out different area codes if the shipping price is exorbitant. I don't like gearbest under reporting value, it might come back to bite you in the ass one day with the next import.The under reporting value isn't excessively cheap, and it seems they keep it pretty consistent so customs are none the wiser.

Unless they ask for an invoice, I think one should be okay, actually never bothered getting an invoice from gearbest, I think I need to start doing that, just in case. Went on gearbest now to get the invoice apparently it takes two hours to generate one.I am curious to see if the values match with what they reported on the package, if it does it would screw Customs over big time should they ask for an invoice.

If it doesn't, I suspect I need to go to takealot and get some Vaseline..........
*edit
Yip just checked the invoice doesn't match what customs gets......so Vaseline it is
I don't quite understand. You already paid customs, so why would a mismatched invoice prove troublesome afterwards?

wizardofid

Executive Member
I don't quite understand. You already paid customs, so why would a mismatched invoice prove troublesome afterwards?
Yes you pay custom fees to DHL, which in return a custom clearance is then sent to customs warehouse. it doesn't mean you are in the clear yet.Customs can still decide to inspect the parcel during the clearance process, they rarely do, but they can still inspect it if they wanted to even after customs fees were paid.

Paying custom fees isn't a guarantee of clearance either or acceptance that declared value is correct.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Does anyone have experience with cesdeals? Are they trustworthy?
They are selling lcd drawing tablets for a steal, which will sort out the endless bday presents for all my daughters friends for a while, but I’m nervous they would never arrive. https://www.cesdeals.com/product/mini-5-inch-lcd-electronic-writing-tablet-digital-drawing-handwriting-pad-223395.01
Thanks in advance.
nope never used them.

A quick search revealed some thing better, from a website I trust, R30 odd more but 8.5 inch.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Going to pull the trigger on a Mi 9T Pro this evening. Last time I ordered a phone (last year) it was Aramex Priority Line. Expedited still DHL in a week? Any tips to get the customs invoice from them quicker so I can pay and speed things up?

Reactions: wcm

wizardofid

Executive Member
Going to pull the trigger on a Mi 9T Pro this evening. Last time I ordered a phone (last year) it was Aramex Priority Line. Expedited still DHL in a week? Any tips to get the customs invoice from them quicker so I can pay and speed things up?
I just kept monitoring the shipping, as well as sign up to notification emails, the moment I got the clearance notification I phoned DHL at 8am and 20 minutes later got all the information needed and paid.

If you wait for them to phone you it will take awhile.The earlier you phone, the more likely you are able to get same day clearance and SA hub transfer

FlashSA

Executive Member
I just kept monitoring the shipping, as well as sign up to notification emails, the moment I got the clearance notification I phoned DHL at 8am and 20 minutes later got all the information needed and paid.

If you wait for them to phone you it will take awhile.The earlier you phone, the more likely you are able to get same day clearance and SA hub transfer
Do you recall the best number to phone once the first clearance event happens? What is the quickest payment method to expedite hub transfer - credit card online?

I just had a Hong Kong pickup event and ETA is next week Wednesday which would be AWESOME!

wizardofid

Executive Member
Phone this number +27-11-921 3600 when you get the jhb clearance notification.Dhl sends you a payment link pretty straight forward paid via fnb debit card no issues

wcm

Amazing phone, did you go through with the order ? Could you send the gearbest link, I'm super keen on getting a Mi 9T Pro

FlashSA

Executive Member
Amazing phone, did you go through with the order ? Could you send the gearbest link, I'm super keen on getting a Mi 9T Pro
Yes - I have ordered a blue one and this will be my first flagship processor in several years so I am keen to play!

Via a special email from Gearbest - this link is offering all 3 colours for $348 + shipping (link may not work for you if you have not signed up for their email specials)

Reactions: wcm

ld13

Honorary Master
Yes - I have ordered a blue one and this will be my first flagship processor in several years so I am keen to play!
There is a small coupon available that could save you a measly ~R44: GBM9TPRO1

wcm

Via a special email from Gearbest - this link is offering all 3 colours for $348 + shipping (link may not work for you if you have not signed up for their email specials)
That price is amazing, still got 4 days to order and I haven't even signed up with Gearbest previously

deesef

You going to battle with the tiny screen, compared to the Max 3. Better start saving for new glasses

FlashSA

Executive Member
That price is amazing, still got 4 days to order and I haven't even signed up with Gearbest previously
Yip. My trigger pull mark was set for $350 and I have been watching. Now is the time to grab.

FlashSA

Executive Member
You going to battle with the tiny screen, compared to the Max 3. Better start saving for new glasses
I hear you. I have been playing with my glass mock ups (I have mentioned before that, before I purchase a phone, I always ask my head glass cutter to make me a life size demo in 8mm clear glass to the exact proportions of the potential new phone.) The Mi 9T (Pro) body is a lot smaller than my Mi Max 3 but due to the smaller bezels, especially on top, the loss in screen real estate is half an inch diagonal. I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to selling my Mi Max 3 - I love it so much. But one will have to go so let's see if the Mi 9T Pro makes me fall in love....