How to import from GearBest and more

F1 Fan

Expert Member
@Gearbest,

How does customs work for Robot Vacuums as it is not available in SA i.e is there still a fee other than VAT?

Really want to order one, the shipping charges are high though.

Last edited:

ZAGadgetReviews

GearBestZA: Thank you for your advice. I ordered and paid for a phone on GearBest, following your guide. 6 days later they have contacted me to say they cannot deliver to my address using Aramex priority mail, as I ordered, but by regular post - please advise me what I should do.
Please PM me the information and I will contact them to resolve the issue. I am working close with them to fix this issue and ensure it does not happen to future customers.

KavZ

ZAGadgetReviews

@Gearbest,

How does customs work for Robot Vacuums as it is not available in SA i.e is there still a fee other than VAT?

Really want to order one, the shipping charges are high though.
Shipping does vary from Warehouse to warehouse and based on weight and product type. Most items that are not available in SA will pay Vat only and no customs charges.

KavZ

ZAGadgetReviews

Can I ask Admin to please sticky this thread? Think it will save a a lot of searching and help people for importing in South Africa.

KavZ

Daveogg

Please PM me the information and I will contact them to resolve the issue. I am working close with them to fix this issue and ensure it does not happen to future customers.

KavZ
Hi.
Can you advise situation regarding Gearbest and priority shipping. I have an order from mid July on which I paid priority shipping, Gearbest dispatched the package on normal post claiming priority shipping is not available to SA, despite it still being a option when ordering. Needless to say the package has still not arrived, and is in tracking "no mans land" having apparently left Sweden early August but not yet arrived.

I have previously used Gearbest quite extensively with the priority shipping and plan to make further purchases but cannot until this is resolved?

ZAGadgetReviews

Hi.
Can you advise situation regarding Gearbest and priority shipping. I have an order from mid July on which I paid priority shipping, Gearbest dispatched the package on normal post claiming priority shipping is not available to SA, despite it still being a option when ordering. Needless to say the package has still not arrived, and is in tracking "no mans land" having apparently left Sweden early August but not yet arrived.

I have previously used Gearbest quite extensively with the priority shipping and plan to make further purchases but cannot until this is resolved?
Good day,

I can confirm for the last 2 months, that Priority shipping is Aramex or DHL. They never once sent it via Airmail unless there was an issue with my address (postal code issue), but in that case, I just got them to update it.

Regarding the current items, I do apologize that it was sent via the incorrect shipping method. Please PM me the order number and tracking numbers and I will see if I can get the local tracking number so we can see where the package is. I would also contact GearBest and inform them via the Contact Center that the package has not arrived and they should resend via Priority Line. Lets see what they say.

KavZ

ebendl

Expert Member
So I'm guessing I shouldn't use the "Priority Line" shipping ("Middle east express") but rather just DHL Express, right? For easier customs etc.

Is it necessary to pay the extra R34 for insurance?

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 11.59.32.jpg

ZAGadgetReviews

So I'm guessing I shouldn't use the "Priority Line" shipping ("Middle east express") but rather just DHL Express, right? For easier customs etc.

Is it necessary to pay the extra R34 for insurance?

View attachment 462135
I prefer Priority Line (Aramex) as I find customs easier with them, and they are like 50% cheaper then DHL, but in your case, it is not a big price difference. Regarding time wise, DHL is generally a little quicker to move. Aramex can take a day or two before it starts moving.

Insurance is optional depending on the person. Insurance will cover the full package if something goes wrong where Paypal won't cover. Not sure what Paypal won't cover though as they should even cover lost packages.

Hope this has helped. If you do need anything else, just PM me anytime. :)

KavZ

ebendl

Expert Member
I prefer Priority Line (Aramex) as I find customs easier with them, and they are like 50% cheaper then DHL, but in your case, it is not a big price difference. Regarding time wise, DHL is generally a little quicker to move. Aramex can take a day or two before it starts moving.

Insurance is optional depending on the person. Insurance will cover the full package if something goes wrong where Paypal won't cover. Not sure what Paypal won't cover though as they should even cover lost packages.

Hope this has helped. If you do need anything else, just PM me anytime. :)

KavZ
Thanks - if I can save a bit of money and make customs easier then that sounds spot on to me.

I'll go to Priority then!

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
GearBestZA: Thank you for your advice. I ordered and paid for a phone on GearBest, following your guide. 6 days later they have contacted me to say they cannot deliver to my address using Aramex priority mail, as I ordered, but by regular post - please advise me what I should do.
Seems like this is a new common trick they employ. The option is there and it all looks good then they come back with their nonsense excuses. It was such a fight last time to get them to refund me for the cheaper shipping after they suddenly couldn't ship via aramex.

ebendl

Expert Member
So I placed my order last night using Priority Line. I then logged a ticket to ask about an invoice and they indicated that they are still working on my order and will send me an invoice once it has shipped.

And then they asked for my shipping details again -- which is dodgy. Will see what happens.

ZAGadgetReviews

Seems like this is a new common trick they employ. The option is there and it all looks good then they come back with their nonsense excuses. It was such a fight last time to get them to refund me for the cheaper shipping after they suddenly couldn't ship via aramex.
Good day,

On the importing guide, I did advise on how to fix the postal code issue. I have tried to find out how they verify the address but it is done by their forwarding company so on their side, it looks correct but the forwarding company can sometimes have issues with the postal code. No real global solution for this at the moment.

The way around it is to use the nearest big postal code to ship it to. So if in Durban, always use 4001. If JHB, always use 2000/2001. Do not use the smaller suburbs as they do not work as nicely. Once it does arrive, they will call you if they are not sure where you are. I am in Rosebank(work) and would normally use 2196. But I use 2001 instead and works fine. They even sent it once without Rosebank suburb stated and just the physical address. I saw the tracking state an issue with the address, called them and they delivered the next day.

I will query them to see if something can be added to their website to tell clients to use the closest main postal code. It is hard to control this issue and I wish I had a way to message every person who uses GearBest but there is no way to resolve this issue. I did ask for access to update every order received on their site to SA but they informed me that it has to be controlled via the Support Center and the client.

If anybody is having this issue with their address/postal code, please contract me and I can advise which postal code to use that should work. It is unfortunate that it does take a few days for them to check that everything is okay and get a tracking number, but it is better then Airmail. Also, you do then know which one to use in the future and makes all orders after that flawless.

Regards
KavZ

ebendl

Expert Member
So GearBest order: placed Sunday evening. Has been set to "Packed" since 11:00 this morning, so hoping it ships out soon. I took the Priority Lane shipping (Middle East Express).

Update; a whole additional day has gone by and it stayed "packed"

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
15 Sep: So I ran into the postal code issue too -- after 2 days of silence I queried them again on the order and they came back and said "The zip code is wrong, can you go to your nearest Post Office to confirm"

(Wow as if that would ever work :D )

So I gave them 0002 for Pretoria - hope that works (I had 0081 which is the one I've always used for every other shipping)...

Update 17 Sep: So one week ago I ordered and my package has still not left their warehouse. Said "packed" for most of this time. :(

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
Update 19 Sep: they contacted me and told me priority shipping (Aramex) is not available for my address. My guess is they get confused with the suburb and possibly the building name and that it doesn't match the postal code, even though I gave them 0002 for Pretoria eventually. They now want to send it out using regular postal.

Getting a bit irritated with them. Goodness, I've been shipping packages to this address a lot previously and never once did I have this issue.

Will DHL / fancier shipping make a difference?

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Update 19 Sep: they contacted me and told me priority shipping (Aramex) is not available for my address. My guess is they get confused with the suburb and possibly the building name and that it doesn't match the postal code, even though I gave them 0002 for Pretoria eventually. They now want to send it out using regular postal.

Getting a bit irritated with them. Goodness, I've been shipping packages to this address a lot previously and never once did I have this issue.

Will DHL / fancier shipping make a difference?
This is what pisses me off with them. They can be very persistent and I have to question whether it's available at all. Like I said previously they didn't even want to refund me after I had paid for the more expensive shipping and they eventually sent it via normal post. They're also the only company where in the past I had a expensive item never arrive and it was basically though titties at that stage for me. I guess now having a potential middle man is at least a good thing.

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
This is what pisses me off with them. They can be very persistent and I have to question whether it's available at all. Like I said previously they didn't even want to refund me after I had paid for the more expensive shipping and they eventually sent it via normal post. They're also the only company where in the past I had a expensive item never arrive and it was basically though titties at that stage for me. I guess now having a potential middle man is at least a good thing.
All these issues doesnt bode well for the orders I have scheduled for the next few months.

Voodoo

I also wanted to order but after reading all this I also don't know. :confused:

ebendl

Expert Member
I also wanted to order but after reading all this I also don't know. :confused:
I think you can probably go ahead and order but don't expect the stuff within a couple of weeks -- rather months.

Their expedited and priority shipping means squat.

PayPal should hopefully cover you if it never arrives.

Last edited:

ZAGadgetReviews

Good day,

I am on your side with this shipping issue. It is driving me mad and I am trying to work with them to resolve but they keep saying that clients who have issues have to go through the contact center (useless in my mind). They take long to respond, keep asking you to wait, and don't really answer your questions.

Regarding shipping, if you pay for DHL and they send Aramex (Cheaper) or Airmail (Cheapest), take screen shots of the difference in pricing and esculate to PayPal. I know it is a bit extreme but gets results as I believe it is wrong to charge you more and send it with a cheaper service. And contacting them doesn't give results most of the time.

As a short term solution, I am offering anybody who is having address issues and cannot seem to resolve it, can PM me and I will give you my details and ask them to ship it to me. Once it arrives, you can arrange to fetch it or I can courier it to you. Do note though that the items will be on my personal name. I am currently doing the documentation for a importing license so that it does become easier over time as I believe at some point with the quantity of items that I import, they might start stopping everything to do invoice and proof of payment confirmation. Do you think this will help?

If I could, I would rather send everything to me and get them then sent to every client but that is an administration nightmare mainly since I do not own a company and do this part time. Any other suggestions on what I can do to try resolve this issue?

KavZ