How to import from GearBest and more

Zinator_RSA

Yeah, it is unfortunate that the Airmail service is so bad here in SA. I always suggest people use Aramex or DHL. Regarding the tracking, they suppose to contact you once it arrives but they have not been. I would advise that if you do have something coming in, track it daily in case they need something from you. It does depend on whether the item is in stock though.

I still make weekly orders as it is still so much better to wait a few weeks verses months for Airmail. Airmail is cheap (free in most places). Airmail is nice but I do not use unless it is for something that is less important for me.

I do notice that they seem to be splitting orders depending when and how they get the items on their side. My last order was split into 4 packages over 2 weeks and sent through. It is unfortunate but helps with customs as each package is now less but I still only paid once for shipping.

Regarding the postal code hassles, it is generally only for the first order. On the second order, you can use the correct postal code and the whole process will be so much smoother.

Aramex has been facing issues with delays on the tracking but it just means they forgot to scan it in Dubai. It does normally come right within a day or 2. If it does take longer then that, then I would suggest you call them. Aramex also do cover a certain amount if it gets lost. You, if you paid with PayPal, they do cover you for up to 40 days.

KavZ
Wanna order a few covers but I'm looking for a partner to split shipping charges here... Maybe you can assist good Samaritan?

ebendl

Expert Member
Anyway, I'm subbing this thread so that I can see if @ebendl gets his goods, and when I am ready to order I may just give KavZ a call since he seems to know his way around.

I did get my packages -- after I sorted out the address (city) and the Golden week was past, things went quite smoothly. Second package showed:
9 Oct: email from Gearbest saying the package was shipped
11 Oct: Tracking shows "Received at origin facility (HK)"
16 Oct: Delivered

Like KavZ said, they do split the packages but in my case this meant that each package was less than R400 so they literally just sailed through customs with no duties or VAT.

Both was delivered with Amarex, in little bubblewrap sleeves. Not the best packaging but everything was nice an intact (I bought Yeelights).

Since I knew the address trick now, and the Yeelights ended up being pretty awesome, I went ahead and bought 4 more white ones and 1 additional full colour one, as well as the desk lamp on 13 Oct. The 4 white ones have already shipped (17 Oct) although the Aramex tracking only says "Record created" for the last two days.

One thing that I did notice is that the shipping charges are not quite linear. In some instances adding an additional item literally lowers the overall price of shipping. In other cases, adding a small item (like the discounted items that you get when ordering more than R800) can push the shipping up with like R40 or R60.

ebendl

Expert Member
Ok, so Gearbest has now split my package into 3. While I appreciate earlier delivery, my one concern is that I might get into troubles with customs due to too many imports.

2 orders resulting in 5 packages being brought into the country...

@KavZ -- what's your experience with this? I recall you said you are in the process of registering as an importer, but I take it up to now you weren't, right?

Zinator_RSA

Ok, so Gearbest has now split my package into 3. While I appreciate earlier delivery, my one concern is that I might get into troubles with customs due to too many imports.

@KavZ -- what's your experience with this? I recall you said you are in the process of registering as an importer, but I take it up to now you weren't, right?
Why were they split? Different warehouses?

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
My first test run with Aramex, so far so good. I just think they're very relaxed, in the sense that they don't move very fast. Hope to get my package this coming week.

aramax.JPG

I ordered from Gearbest before, though it was always small things. So I usually took registered mail and just wait. Same with Banggood. My store of choice when buying phones and my watch, is Geekbuying. I just love their prices and never heard of someone getting bad or fake firmware on their phones from them. Only thing is, I have to use EMS with them. EMS isn't that bad, but a tad on the slower side. Also, things can sit at the Hubs for a while before you get a notice to submit documents. At first those notices was very cryptic to my untrained eye, but I figured it out by now.

ebendl

Expert Member
My first test run with Aramex, so far so good. I just think they're very relaxed, in the sense that they don't move very fast. Hope to get my package this coming week.

View attachment 471658

Looks about right!

No idea, they gave me no indication. All of them looked like the China warehouse (not sure if there's more than one). Especially since the second and third package shipped out one day after the other.

Aramex phoned me on Friday to ask customs details (ID, email address) and will let me know what I owe them. The guys said I should have it around Thursday.

On the one hand if Gearbest is willing to split it into smaller packages of R300 - R400 each it's great as it clears customs easily. On the other hand, splitting clearly one order into 3 packages means one order hits my annual 3-item limit.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master

View attachment 471658

I ordered from Gearbest before, though it was always small things. So I usually took registered mail and just wait. Same with Banggood. My store of choice when buying phones and my watch, is Geekbuying. I just love their prices and never heard of someone getting bad or fake firmware on their phones from them. Only thing is, I have to use EMS with them. EMS isn't that bad, but a tad on the slower side. Also, things can sit at the Hubs for a while before you get a notice to submit documents. At first those notices was very cryptic to my untrained eye, but I figured it out by now.

Ok, just got a message via the app, it was received at Operations Facility in Dubai Express hub, UAE. Why did it go there? Also, if it should go through there, how long does it usually take from there to reach SA?

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Ok, just got a message via the app, it was received at Operations Facility in Dubai Express hub, UAE. Why did it go there? Also, if it should go through there, how long does it usually take from there to reach SA?

And 15 hours later, it's moving again. Left Dubai a hour ago.

ebendl

Expert Member
And 15 hours later, it's moving again. Left Dubai a hour ago.

Mine did the same. My first package actually looked like it was expected in Dubai but never arrived. Was in this state for a couple of days after which it seemed that it did arrive and things continued.

ZAGadgetReviews

Apologies for being MIA. Been away for a bit with work.

I currently am sitting at around 30+ packages for the year, and no issues so far. I did apply for an importers license but they did have issues so another 2-3 weeks wait. GearBest packages are coming quicker then SARS and the importers license.

If anybody does need the guide on how to do it and what documentation is required for an Individual to get an importers license, PM me and I can assist.

ZAGadgetReviews

Different warehouses are only an issue when checking out (You can only checkout and pay from one warehouse at a time). They generally split packages as the stock comes in. Doesn't always makes sense but think they want to get it out as quickly as they can. I had two packages from the same order sent the same day. One was just a phone cover, and the other was another 10 items. It is weird but as long as it moves and comes quickly, I don't have an issue for it.

Still, R150 for 2kg of items is cheaper then locally shipping from JHB to CPT. It is not perfect but once you have the postal code issues, 10x better then airmail...

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
Apologies for being MIA. Been away for a bit with work.

I currently am sitting at around 30+ packages for the year, and no issues so far. I did apply for an importers license but they did have issues so another 2-3 weeks wait. GearBest packages are coming quicker then SARS and the importers license.

If anybody does need the guide on how to do it and what documentation is required for an Individual to get an importers license, PM me and I can assist.

Any reason not to post the info here?

ZAGadgetReviews

Just a quick explanation about Aramex and their different services might help explain why the packages go to Dubai. Aramex has 3 services that I know of.

1) Aramex Express (Country to Country straight and is the most expensive).
2) Aramex Global (Country to Country but has limitations of what can be sent. - Not available to companies overseas).
3) Aramex Priority Line (Slower service but still 3-7 days). This can and normally goes through Dubai as it might be a cheaper route for them.

I only learnt about Priority Line after ordering from GearBest but still find it decent. They shipping is cheaper then Aliexpress if they do offer Express shipping. Does take a while and the first order can be delayed if there is Postal code issues, but still worth every cent in my mind.

ZAGadgetReviews

View attachment 471658

I have used most of the companies prior to this. The reason why I work with GearBest and order weekly from them is that their shipping prices is awesome. I agree with @ebendl that their shipping price does goes wonky based on the items, the type their are, and the weight, but it still doesn't make sense to me. Adding a $1 item can bring down the shipping by $5. Have to tweek the order to get away with better shipping rates.

EMS is a decent service to anywhere but SA. It comes to the post office and then you wait. Not had fun with them and majority of companies don't even offer EMS to SA.

ZAGadgetReviews

Looks about right!

No idea, they gave me no indication. All of them looked like the China warehouse (not sure if there's more than one). Especially since the second and third package shipped out one day after the other.

Aramex phoned me on Friday to ask customs details (ID, email address) and will let me know what I owe them. The guys said I should have it around Thursday.

On the one hand if Gearbest is willing to split it into smaller packages of R300 - R400 each it's great as it clears customs easily. On the other hand, splitting clearly one order into 3 packages means one order hits my annual 3-item limit.

Aramex generally ask for your ID and email for customs clearance. This generally means it is over the R400 mark and there will be customs due. If anybody does use Aramex, please also keep an eye on the tracking as they are delayed in phoning you for anything so if they need something, give them a shout once it hits SA and ask them for feedback. They will then ask you for your ID and email and they will proceed with clearance.

I am not sure about the 3-4 item limit as that is what I have heard as well, but for some reason, they do not complain about my packages. Maybe I have been lucky but that is the reason why I applied for the importers license. I do not do it as a business but love my gadgets and order far to often. lol.

If anybody does want to order anything, please PM me the link. I will send you an updated link as it goes towards getting me more gadgets to review for free. They also monitor the sales coming from SA and from my links and that helps me get more custom coupons for SA. :). Can always do with more crazy discounts. I will post a thread at the bottom. For everybody who order's regularly, add one of these items as they are crazy cheap with the discount codes.

ZAGadgetReviews

Any reason not to post the info here?

I can give the general guidelines if you want, but I have created a template for the Affidavit, the document's filled in, etc. That cannot be posted here so will have to ask everybody to PM me so I can give you my email address, and then I can forward everything on email. That way you can just update the Affidavit with your details, and have a list of the required documents. As a guideline, see the list below:

1) ID certified.
2) Proof of address certified.
3) Proof of bank account certified.
4) Proof of Telephone number certified.
5) Affidavit confirming the above.
6) SARS Tax clearance.

That is most of the stuff. They you have to fill in the DA185 and DA185 4A1. Quite a bit of stuff. Then you have to go the SARS and get them to accept it. They also made me write a letter where I ask to please be allowed to get a personal import license. Will try find that as well but not sure if they actually need it.

ZAGadgetReviews

List of specials for people who order often. I would add one item to every order as it is really cheap and nice small stuff.

Moizen M1 Magnetic USB cable - Amazing item to have for all devices,.
https://www.gearbest.com/chargers-cables/pp_452837.html?wid=21&lkid=11433283
Was $2.99, NOW $0.19 (R2.70) with coupon:GBZACELL (limited to 200 units).

ABS 3D printer Filament
https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers/pp_157339.html?wid=21&lkid=11433299
Was $1.71, NOW $0.11 (R2.70) with coupon:GBZAABS (limited to 100 units).

ORICA Desktop cable organizer
https://www.gearbest.com/chargers-cables/pp_655726.html?wid=21&lkid=11433318
Was $1.89, NOW $0.11 (R2.70) with coupon:GBZAORI (limited to 100 units).

Micro USB cable (4 Pack) - Crazy cheap!!!
https://www.gearbest.com/cables-connectors/pp_263389.html?lkid=11433326
Was: $3.10, NOW $0.11(R2.70) with coupon:GBZAPCS (limited to 100 units).

Xiaomi Piston In-ear Earphones
https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_603274.html?wid=21&lkid=11433343
Was: $5.79, NOW: $2.49 with coupon:GBZAMIPI (limited to 100 units).

Cube X3 Wireless Mini Bluetooth Speaker
https://www.gearbest.com/speakers/pp_240958.html?wid=21&lkid=11433353
Was: $6.49, NOW: $1.09 with coupon:GBZACUBE (limited to 100 units).

Last edited:

ahmfar

Anyone purchased an item above R5000 from Gearbest recently? I want to find out about the customs tax involved, since I've ordered a OnePlus 5 from them.

Cheers