How to import from GearBest and more

ebendl

Expert Member
Just got a notification that customs cleared my package and Aramex will send me the invoice tomorrow.

Compared to my Amazon.de package which was sent by Singapore post and sat in a pre-customs container for 4 weeks before being reviewed by them, this is awesome.

One thing I was wondering about: are customs calculated on the items listed AND the shipping? Because I noticed on the invoices I can download from Gearbest that they print the same shipping amount on each of the three, so if those invoices are to be used for customs then I'm paying for vat/duties on shipping three times...

Muttinator

Received My Order

Anyone purchased an item above R5000 from Gearbest recently? I want to find out about the customs tax involved, since I've ordered a OnePlus 5 from them.

Cheers

I received my Xiaomi Mi6 last week, plus cover, screen protectors and a few other bits.

Absolutely flawless process from beginning to end through GearBest.

I paid R320 in duties, fees and vat.

Took Kav advice on postal method and post code details.

Will definitely use this service again....A phone which will cost around R10 000 when Vodacom launches it shortly is now in my hands for about R6 100.

ZAGadgetReviews

Just got a notification that customs cleared my package and Aramex will send me the invoice tomorrow.

Compared to my Amazon.de package which was sent by Singapore post and sat in a pre-customs container for 4 weeks before being reviewed by them, this is awesome.

One thing I was wondering about: are customs calculated on the items listed AND the shipping? Because I noticed on the invoices I can download from Gearbest that they print the same shipping amount on each of the three, so if those invoices are to be used for customs then I'm paying for vat/duties on shipping three times...

Regarding the Vat/Duties on the packages, Aramex should only submit the amount excluding the shipping for clearance. But as you previously mentioned, the can split it into packages where each fall under R500 in value. It does make it easier to clear and is so much quicker to clear through and deliver.

@Muttinator, the postal code issues is generally only for the first order. Once you get it resolved, every other order flows so quickly. I also initially faced issues but once resolved and the initial wait is over, it is awesome. Just remember to change the postal code on the second order. lol

ahmfar

I received my Xiaomi Mi6 last week, plus cover, screen protectors and a few other bits.

Absolutely flawless process from beginning to end through GearBest.

I paid R320 in duties, fees and vat.

Took Kav advice on postal method and post code details.

Will definitely use this service again....A phone which will cost around R10 000 when Vodacom launches it shortly is now in my hands for about R6 100.

Thanks @muttinator. Thats great news. I was rather concerned about customs costs, taxes etc. R320 isn't bad at all. I also followed KavZ advice regarding postal codes. Hopwfully mine will arrive soon; I purchased it around 10 days ago.

ZAGadgetReviews

Thanks @muttinator. Thats great news. I was rather concerned about customs costs, taxes etc. R320 isn't bad at all. I also followed KavZ advice regarding postal codes. Hopwfully mine will arrive soon; I purchased it around 10 days ago.

If you did use postal code 4001, I am sure it will fly thought. Do note that there is slight delays on Aramex's side on customs clearance. Heading towards December, they do take an extra day or two to resolve issues and arrange clearance. I can try and push them but haven't been getting much back from them. Can't even imagine what that place is like this time of the year. And it will get worse. They won't be major delays though.

ahmfar

If you did use postal code 4001, I am sure it will fly thought. Do note that there is slight delays on Aramex's side on customs clearance. Heading towards December, they do take an extra day or two to resolve issues and arrange clearance. I can try and push them but haven't been getting much back from them. Can't even imagine what that place is like this time of the year. And it will get worse. They won't be major delays though.

Yes, I used 4001. It would be great if you could push them, but don't stress. They haven't yet shipped my order, so I don't mind waiting a few days longer.

ZAGadgetReviews

Yes, I used 4001. It would be great if you could push them, but don't stress. They haven't yet shipped my order, so I don't mind waiting a few days longer.

They should ship soon. Once they do, keep an eye on the tracking so that you can contact them once it has left.

PM me once it is on the way and I will track it as well. Can also then let you know when to contact them and I can push Aramex to arrange clearance if possible.

ZAGadgetReviews

HI there

Am wanting to order this tv box.

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_656048.html?wid=21

Just wondering how well the priority line shipping works for R141? Or are there better options?

Thanks

Expedited shipping is a quicker service with DHL but they can sometimes charge you customs even if the value is under R500. My last package was worth under R500 and I still had to pay customs. They are really quicker though. But price wise, it is normally a big price difference. Seen it double or triple the price of Priority Line (Aramex). Aramex does take a few days before they move the package but it is still 99% more reliable then SAPO.

I also advise to mix items. Add one of the cheap items I posted the promo on a few threads back. Adding small items can save you on shipping and mixing items brings it even more lower. Mix and match and see how it benefits the shipping price.

ebendl

Expert Member
So got my invoice today from Aramex for customs and import duties.

DAMN - duty on LED lights (even smart ones) are expensive - 20%. So my R766 order (4x Yeelights) ended up costing
R766 (Gearbest)
+ R153.20 duties (20%)
+ R139.44 vat (14% on top of duties and value)
+ R50 tax clearance (fee that Aramex charges?)
+ R7.90 disembursement
+ R7 vat (on Aramex charges)
= R1 123.54 -- excluding the shipping

So doing quick calculations, if your packages could fly in under the radar then it is actually CHEAPER to purchase 2x Yeelights two times to keep each one under the R500 limit than to purchase 4x. Shipping for 2 using Aramex is R156.80 while 4x is R173.44, so you lose a bit there, but not having to pay customs + vat + all the rest saves you about R200 in the end.

BTW, the shipping doesn't count to the value for duties/VAT, I misread that last night.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
My parcel was received by Ops facility on the 24th, they phoned and ask my email and ID for customs. Yesterday, I got a message that it was cleared from customs and 2 hours later that it departed from Ops facility.
How do they work, do they bill me afterwards for customs?

ebendl

Expert Member
My parcel was received by Ops facility on the 24th, they phoned and ask my email and ID for customs. Yesterday, I got a message that it was cleared from customs and 2 hours later that it departed from Ops facility.

I'd say you're off the hook. Mine specifically said "waiting customer payment" or similar.

What did you order?

ZAGadgetReviews

Yeah, it has been cleared so no payment is required. They should deliver today if it was cleared yesterday but it does depend where you are based.

ZAGadgetReviews

So got my invoice today from Aramex for customs and import duties.

DAMN - duty on LED lights (even smart ones) are expensive - 20%. So my R766 order (4x Yeelights) ended up costing
R766 (Gearbest)
+ R153.20 duties (20%)
+ R139.44 vat (14% on top of duties and value)
+ R50 tax clearance (fee that Aramex charges?)
+ R7.90 disembursement
+ R7 vat (on Aramex charges)
= R1 123.54 -- excluding the shipping

So doing quick calculations, if your packages could fly in under the radar then it is actually CHEAPER to purchase 2x Yeelights two times to keep each one under the R500 limit than to purchase 4x. Shipping for 2 using Aramex is R156.80 while 4x is R173.44, so you lose a bit there, but not having to pay customs + vat + all the rest saves you about R200 in the end.

BTW, the shipping doesn't count to the value for duties/VAT, I misread that last night.

Customs is a lot of fun with their pricing. They generally bill on what the parcel description is. There is a SARS document that gives the breakdown but it is really long. 70-80% of my packages come through with no issues and no customs charges. The rest, I pay as it is still decent compares to local prices if the items is even available.

I have a spreadsheet that I used for mixed orders to do the cost per item include shipping and customs and split it down. If anybody want's it, PM me your email address and I will send it through. It is easy to work with and makes it easy to calculate everything decently well. I do not split by weight though.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
I'd say you're off the hook. Mine specifically said "waiting customer payment" or similar.

What did you order?

Mi Max 2 = $242
Strange, I would've thought a payment was due. If I'm off the hook, then Christmas came a bit early for me.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Mi Max 2 = $242
Strange, I would've thought a payment was due. If I'm off the hook, then Christmas came a bit early for me.

Just got an update on the app, "On hold, payment not ready". LOL

EDIT: Or maybe they're watching this thread :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ZAGadgetReviews

Just got an update on the app, "On hold, payment not ready". LOL

EDIT: Or maybe they're watching this thread :rolleyes:

Give them a call and ask to speak to the customs department. Then give the your tracking number and ask the for the invoice if it is available. Normally take a few hours to process the invoice and total but it shouldn't take to long. Think they are piled up with packages at the moment though so it is a lil slower then normal.