How to import from GearBest and more

ZAGadgetReviews

Hi, Could you please tell me what the difference is between normal and expedited delivery on garbed and which is better? Expedited is more expensive but will that give me full tracking of my item? Also how would I know what import duties would be due? Considering the pocophone I saw on there for $369 and now comparing with the Honor 8x also :)

I did cover it in the second post on Page 1. Expedited shipping is with DHL and quicker but their clearance charge is R250 just for clearing the item while Priority Line (Middle East Express) is with Aramex who charge R50 for most lowish valued items. I will take Aramex any day of the week due to DHL's greedy pricing for clearance. Buff does not even charge a fee to clear as far as I can see...

Also, when you say normal shipping, do you mean Airmail? Airmail comes with SAPO which normally takes over 1 month. I had packages take up to 4 months to arrive. Rather pay the extra for Priority Line or Expedited shipping.

mozammil09

Hey guys have a query about the pre clearance for the Pocophone F1.

So I requested one and they sent me an invoice for it today but the amount is R11 78.75.

There's R260 clearance, R312 duties R32 disbursement R544 VAT

This is obviously a large sum of money to pay for customs so I wanted ask can I leave out the pre clearance and will they quote me a new invoice when the phone gets here to SA?

Is there any other way to avoid paying this large sum?

mozammil09

Screen shot of my invoice, forgot to attach to previous post, and misquoted some of the figures...

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master

So I requested one and they sent me an invoice for it today but the amount is R1 178.75.

This is obviously a large sum of money to pay for customs so I wanted ask can I leave out the pre clearance and will they quote me a new invoice when the phone gets here to SA?

Nothing you can do but pay up.

Pre-clearance is just asking to get the paperwork out of the way while its in transit so it doesn't delay delivery. Without pre-clearance you still gonna get the same price tag it just takes longer as the process only gets kicked off once the package arrive at customs.

PS: Judging by the R544 you actually not even paying full 15% on Poco. Should be around R650

SlowInternet

Executive Member

So I requested one and they sent me an invoice for it today but the amount is R11 78.75.

It is still going to be the same amount. Pre-clearance just expedites it.

Suspect99

Executive Member
@ZAGadgetReviews When trying to pay with my credit card Gearbest tells me " Zar is not accepted by credit card please choose a different currency" It fails if I try a different currency.
What gives? I never had this problem before

Dan C

Honorary Master
@ZAGadgetReviews When trying to pay with my credit card Gearbest tells me " Zar is not accepted by credit card please choose a different currency" It fails if I try a different currency.
PayPal is a better option. Pay in dollars.

Suspect99

Executive Member
Always been prompted to change my currency. But then again I only use my PayPal account mostly to buy in USD and Euros
I dunno. I've always paid in rands with my credit card no problems so far. Don't know what changed

Dan C

Honorary Master
I dunno. I've always paid in rands with my credit card no problems so far. Don't know what changed
I hazard a guess it's to do with real time exchange rates. Gearbest and PayPal rates are probably not in sync. Maybe wrong...

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
  • When buying from international companies that do not have regional pricing (Like Steam) always use dollars. Cause you never know if they used static or unfavorable exchange rate to get their pricing.
  • Always use Paypal for that added 6 Month buyer protection. This is an extra fraud protection (Over MasterCard's normal 3 Month cover) that you need esp seeing you buying outside your countries legal boundaries making litigation in case a fraud next to impossible.
  • On Paypal use your bank's exchange rate, never use Paypal's as they charge extra to charge your card in Rand. In short Paypal charge should reflect the original currency you buying from and not ZAR.

ZAGadgetReviews

Unfortunately high and not much can be done without losing a month waiting to resubmit clearance. It is best to ask for the value of the invoice they have before requesting pre-clearance so you know what to expect. If declared at full value, that total does sound about right. It is one of the reasons why I normally ask people who contact me about pre-clearance to call Aramex and confirm the amount they have. Otherwise, generate an invoice for a low value and ask them to do pre-clearance with that.

The issue now is that once it has been submitted for clearance, it can't be undone. The only real option is to dispute it claiming and incorrect invoice was initially sent and that can take a long time. Only done it once for a friend and he lost around 1-2 months waiting for feedback.

The above is obviously given without guarantee, and the information is only as valid as the person who uses it. If you want to bend the rules, they can be bent. Not everybody wants to but also most people don't want the R1000 bill for a R4500 phone. Use the information at your own risk...