How to import from GearBest and more

ZAGadgetReviews

What a cool thread. I'm loving seeing someone like GearBestZA always helping out.
Note sure if people say this enough on here, but: Thanks Dude... your messages and comments when I was considering buying a projector was greatly appreciated.

Ordered my OnePlus 5T from Gearbest before reading this thread (BTW I also work in Rosebank but didn't use the Joburg code as you suggested).

The order was placed on Friday late in the afternoon and I see it's already being shipped out of Shenzen with DHL this afternoon (Monday the 12th) even though the site said "Ships between Dec 15 - Dec 18".
There was a little button on the website under my order that said "Ship Faster" or something like that .. .wonder if it made a difference when I clicked it.

Anyway, pretty damn pleased with the Gearbest site and service so far. You get a "download invoice" button and the track shipment option is obvious and works.
Will see how it goes :)

Thanks for the message. Really appreciate it. DHL does ship a lot quicker from GearBest but can sometimes be a lot more expensive. They do sometimes ship with DHL if available and it does benefit the client. Just remember that DHL will charge for clearance but if you do need any assistance with it, just PM and I will assist.

DHL will ship correctly and does not seem to have the issue that Aramex has sometimes with Postal code.

Regarding the dispatch faster button, I generally push it every day till my order is shipped. Most take around a week to ship and arrive here in a week. Most order take 2 weeks to arrive.

What I did notice about GearBest is that if there are issues like postal code or stock, the order slows down. But once the postal code is sorted, all future orders fly with no issues. Just affects first orders mainly.

Last edited:

ZAGadgetReviews

My order has cleared customs but now says "
In transit
On Hold - Payment not Ready / Delivery Rescheduled"

Can anyone decode?

This means that you need to contact the customs department and they need to send you the invoice for payment. If you have paid already, ensure you reply to the email with the proof of payment and include the email address as advised in the email and ask them to confirm payment. They should quickly confirm it and they will then deliver within 24-72 hours depending on your location.

ZAGadgetReviews

Yeah I’m really not impressed with Gearbest so far. Their replies are taking forever. I sent them the updated address using post code 8001 but haven’t heard anything. I ordered almost a month ago now already.

That is a weird case. Do message them again for feedback on the order. Also, PM me the order ID and I will try get feedback. The person I speak to though is in sales and only has limited access but he can normally advise the reason to why it has been delayed and try resolve it from their side.

RaptorSA

Executive Member
Thanks for the message. Really appreciate it. DHL does ship a lot quicker from GearBest but can sometimes be a lot more expensive. They do sometimes ship with DHL if available and it does benefit the client. Just remember that DHL will charge for clearance but if you do need any assistance with it, just PM and I will assist.

DHL will ship correctly and does not seem to have the issue that Aramex has sometimes with Postal code.

Regarding the dispatch faster button, I generally push it every day till my order is shipped. Most take around a week to ship and arrive here in a week. Most order take 2 weeks to arrive.

What I did notice about GearBest is that if there are issues like postal code or stock, the order slows down. But once the postal code is sorted, all future orders fly with no issues. Just affects first orders mainly.

OK Cool...
I just took a look at the invoice I downloaded from Gearbest.. any idea why the value of the items are so off (way too small)?
I'm assuming they do it so there's way less import duties...

PhoneShipInv.PNG

RaptorSA

Executive Member
That's gonna end up real bad when customs nails you :D

haha yeah, but you have to admit it's pretty awesome :D:D
I'd start to worry if I knew they had sniffer dogs that could detect the difference between a sealed OnePlus and an entry level Huawei (I'd assume the Huawei would have the sweat of 12 year olds on it, the OnePlus with 21 year olds)
P.S. F**k customs and the JHB Intl. Mailing Centre, they owe me for the amount of crap I've had to put up with them over the years.

Last edited:

ZAGadgetReviews

OK Cool...
I just took a look at the invoice I downloaded from Gearbest.. any idea why the value of the items are so off (way too small)?
I'm assuming they do it so there's way less import duties...

View attachment 484948

Customs very rarely stop a package unless it is declared far to low. So if it was $5 for a mobile phone, you would have to worry. Since they know this is over R500 and you will pay customs, you most likely won't have issues. If you do, contact me and we can resolve it.

weelzSA

Expert Member
That is a weird case. Do message them again for feedback on the order. Also, PM me the order ID and I will try get feedback. The person I speak to though is in sales and only has limited access but he can normally advise the reason to why it has been delayed and try resolve it from their side.

Pm sent. Thanks

slickster

@GearbestZa,
Do ever reply to PM's????????????
I sent you a request to see whats happening with my order,as its been in the packed status for a week and havent heard back from you, and Gearbest are just coming back with all sorts of excuses,I have bought from them in the past but I dont think I will buy from them ever again,while some of there products are cheap there service is terrible.
Ordered items have been in the packed status for a week now

ZAGadgetReviews

@GearbestZa,
Do ever reply to PM's????????????
I sent you a request to see whats happening with my order,as its been in the packed status for a week and havent heard back from you, and Gearbest are just coming back with all sorts of excuses,I have bought from them in the past but I dont think I will buy from them ever again,while some of there products are cheap there service is terrible.
Ordered items have been in the packed status for a week now

I remember responding to your PM but it seems like it did not go through. I will check and respond to you again. Apologies for this.

karnuffel

Expert Member
I will not recommend Gearbest to anyone. Service is absolutely rubbish. It seems like they cannot ship to an address in Johannesburg because of an "invalid zip code" and I even sent them (the support person) a link to the address in google maps. The support staff takes ages to respond too. I eventually decided to cancel the order.

I just hope I get my money back.

ZAGadgetReviews

I will not recommend Gearbest to anyone. Service is absolutely rubbish. It seems like they cannot ship to an address in Johannesburg because of an "invalid zip code" and I even sent them (the support person) a link to the address in google maps. The support staff takes ages to respond too. I eventually decided to cancel the order.

I just hope I get my money back.

It is an issue on the shipping companies side with Aramex shipping. If you have a look at the thread I created, I did discuss how to resolve it as it can be an issue on first order only. They pick up most postal codes as remote incorrectly and thus cannot ship as they do not support remote area shipping. If you are shipping to Johannesburg, use Postal code 2000/2001 and they will ship with no issues.

If you request a refund, they will process it quickly and doubt you will have issues. Sorry for your bad experience. Should have PM'd me and I would have assisted to resolve.

VernonB

Hi

Are there any potential pitfalls by importing a XIAOMI Redmi 4X from chineese portal (TinyDeal) .

I picked from other threads you as a private individual can only import up to 5 devices a year , that ICASA has to approve model to be imported and this costs R 4000 per specific model for ICASA stamp of approval. I understood that the trick to avoid this cost is to import brand and model readily available in SA ? Is this correct or is the ICASA hurdle only for registered importers ?

I have bought Android Smart Media boxs through Gearbest and can vouch for the SA Postal Service delay. It took 8 days by Dutch Postal Service to arrive at JHB Hub (SA Post Office) and then additional 4 weeks to reach my local post office.
Never Again !!!

Please clarify.

ZAGadgetReviews

Hi

Are there any potential pitfalls by importing a XIAOMI Redmi 4X from chineese portal (TinyDeal) .

I picked from other threads you as a private individual can only import up to 5 devices a year , that ICASA has to approve model to be imported and this costs R 4000 per specific model for ICASA stamp of approval. I understood that the trick to avoid this cost is to import brand and model readily available in SA ? Is this correct or is the ICASA hurdle only for registered importers ?

I have bought Android Smart Media boxs through Gearbest and can vouch for the SA Postal Service delay. It took 8 days by Dutch Postal Service to arrive at JHB Hub (SA Post Office) and then additional 4 weeks to reach my local post office.
Never Again !!!

Please clarify.

Hi there,

Importing 5 packages a year used to be my understanding of the limit. I am now on my 30th package for the year and have not had any issues.

Regarding importing of mobile phones, if you import for personal use, the device is not stopped by ICASA and does not need to be ICASA approved. There is a limit quantity per package though of 5. So if you bring in 5 units or less, you won't have to do the approval. If you do bring in more than 5, then you will have to get a license and pay the R4000 per model and the extra charge per device for the sticker.

I have not used TinyDead but have notices that different shipping service vary in time. I have seen some take 14 days to get here and clear through customs in a week. While some take 40 days to get here and then another 50 days for customs. If you can, but the device from somewhere that can ship it to South Africa using an express service like Aramex, DHL, Fedex, etc. They normally the quickest for deliver and customs clearance. Most companies are struggling to handle the load this time of the year so do take the holidays into account before ordering.

If you do have any other questions, please drop me a PM and we can chat. Easier to respond there as I do not get a chance to check every thread.

ponder

Honorary Master
I have not used TinyDead but have notices that different shipping service vary in time. I have seen some take 14 days to get here and clear through customs in a week. While some take 40 days to get here and then another 50 days for customs. If you can, but the device from somewhere that can ship it to South Africa using an express service like Aramex, DHL, Fedex, etc. They normally the quickest for deliver and customs clearance. Most companies are struggling to handle the load this time of the year so do take the holidays into account before ordering.

Had a quick look and they offer DHL Worldwide Express $35.85 (4-7 working days.Customs tax and other relative surcharge might be occurred which should be debited to consignee.)

D4N

Expert Member
Im looking at getting a Xiaomi phone thru Gearbest and Amarex. If I order today, when can I expect it at my door? Is it the price that I see now + 14% VAT?

ponder

Honorary Master
Im looking at getting a Xiaomi phone thru Gearbest and Amarex. If I order today, when can I expect it at my door? Is it the price that I see now + 14% VAT?

The honest answer is nobody knows based on this thread....

(Price+10%)+14%

Mrlepen

Go on the website and see how long shipping takes mine took 12 days to get to me because it was stuck in customs for 4 days

D4N

Expert Member
Go on the website and see how long shipping takes mine took 12 days to get to me because it was stuck in customs for 4 days

It says 3 - 7 business days, how reliable is that?