How to import from the US

aktiv

Thanx for the very detailed explanation and example
Bookmarked that article

Itsa Trap

Expert Member
Do the import restrictions apply to anything bought via Amazon directly?

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Is $45 to have it sent to ZAR the going norm at the moment?

K3NS31

Expert Member
What? No mention of Scott's Shipping in the comments?
Haven't used them for a while, but they cover most stores, and countries; and (used to at least) have very good service.
And SA based, no hassle, no need to sign up to a forwarding service.

Rob123

What? No mention of Scott's Shipping in the comments?
Haven't used them for a while, but they cover most stores, and countries; and (used to at least) have very good service.
And SA based, no hassle, no need to sign up to a forwarding service.
I just did a quick test on an "estimate" and they are R1000 more expensive than using Amazon directly, for a speaker that costs USD99, and a laptop for R25k + R5k shipping/import costs R42k with them.

Last edited:

K3NS31

Expert Member
I just did a quick test on an "estimate" and they are R1000 more expensive than using Amazon directly, for a speaker that costs USD99.
Everybody's more expensive than using Amazon directly. Scott's should be competitive with the likes of Aramex tho. Also remember their quote includes estimates of customs duties etc. So all-in cost. (and no forwarding service costs i.e. MyUS).

(I've long suspected, but can't prove, that Amazon either subsidises shipping costs (for Amazon products like Kindle); or just gets better rates than anyone due to their size. If they ship the product, they'll be the cheapest. But there are many products they don't ship and other US stores who do ship don't come close to their prices.

FNfal

Executive Member

I have used them a few times , they are much cheaper than DHL.
Most of the places i have used have free shipping in the US so you only pay for the shipping to SA.

Itsa Trap

Expert Member
Sorry to ask this again, not sure if it was replied on, but do direct buys from Amazon qualify as "shipments" / consignments.

The terminology is throwing me a bit, because when I think of shipments, I'm thinking in terms of buying 20 laptops to resell, not say, a toy for someone's birthday etc.?

Soljaah

Does anyone have an idea what the import duties would be on and iPad and a Laptop?

derp90

I’m trying out MyUS and some things have arrived in my suite. They’ve recorded the customs codes correctly but put some of the items as a bit lower than what I paid. This would work in my favour as I would pay less duties, so I’m hesitant to correct them before sending, but I’m also worried they send it and I have a problem this end.

Has this happened to anyone?

derp90

Has anyone had a package arrived at MyUS and get placed in “export review”? This is the first time out of a bunch of packages. It’s been there for over three days and it’s the last package I’m waiting for.

It’s a Chromecast with Google TV, so nothing irregular. They won’t tell me anything about how long this will take, even though the site says 1-2 days.

I’m a bit worried because I was reading some reviews from customers who’ve had their packages in review for 3 weeks. If this happens my first packages are going to start to incur storage fees every day.