How to install Android apps if Google doesn't support your smartphone

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Phones are a new venture by Huawei, not their core business

Yeah sorry meant regarding their phone division.

They are really pushing hard getting their network business going in SA. They are offering free training and you don't even need to buy it to go for the training. We were in the proccess of getting a POC kit from them, switches and routers, but was told yesterday we will not be doing that anymore. Their stuff is cheaper than the cisco kit we use, could have saved us plenty of money if we changed over, now this crap happened.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
So Huawei just ships their new phones with their own OS like how it was before the android OS existed, then when i buy my new P5000 or whatever i can just download the android OS and all is well? Is this correct?
Yes if it's based on AOSP they can do that.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
So Huawei just ships their new phones with their own OS like how it was before the android OS existed, then when i buy my new P5000 or whatever i can just download the android OS and all is well? Is this correct?
No! you would have to unlock that phones bootloader, you would have to have the necesarry flashing tools, and a whole host of other development would need to take place, as that OS would be very new. Developers would have to figure out how to get around whatever Huawei OS is in place, to ensure that you can then rus Android on it. Much like when people loaded android on the HTC HD2

Park@82

Honorary Master
Yes if it's based on AOSP they can do that.

I think there will be plenty of issues if they do switch to AOSP. Most of us use Google's services daily.

Some apps wont work workout Play services. According the below: "Developers use APIs from the Play Services" and without Play services, the apps wont work.

There is a misunderstand in the #Huawei story. The main issue is to lose the right to preinstall the GMS which contain the GApps and the Play Services
source:

My understanding is that you wont be able to flash GAPPS without Root access and an unlocked boot-loader (Huawei locks theirs currently) and even if they do, the average user will not jump hoops, they will jump ship instead.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Yeah sorry meant regarding their phone division.

They are really pushing hard getting their network business going in SA. They are offering free training and you don't even need to buy it to go for the training. We were in the proccess of getting a POC kit from them, switches and routers, but was told yesterday we will not be doing that anymore. Their stuff is cheaper than the cisco kit we use, could have saved us plenty of money if we changed over, now this crap happened.

Glad you used the term "crap", because that is what it is.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
My understanding is that you wont be able to flash GAPPS without Root access and an unlocked boot-loader (Huawei locks theirs currently) and even if they do, the average user will not jump hoops, they will jump ship instead.

Developers will also stop relying on the Google API's so much as well.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Developers will also stop relying on the Google API's so much as well.

That I doubt in the long run..

People will ditch Huawei as a brand if they can't have the Google stuff, so it will still make sense for developers to use that Google API's for their apps because Android will still be the biggest OS by far to target...

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
That I doubt in the long run..

People will ditch Huawei as a brand if they can't have the Google stuff, so it will still make sense for developers to use that Google API's for their apps because Android will still be the biggest OS by far to target...

They will still use the Google API, but will, build a little distance in, to make moving their Apps some what easier.

ToxicBunny

They will still use the Google API, but will, build a little distance in, to make moving their Apps some what easier.

Its a possibility yes, but the bigger boys will only go down that road if the userbase open to them by doing that is worth the dev effort...

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Its a possibility yes, but the bigger boys will only go down that road if the userbase open to them by doing that is worth the dev effort...

This is just the start, you do not trust Google, Microsoft, Amazon etc. implicitly, you do, don't cry big salty crocodile tears, when something they do shafts you.

ToxicBunny

This is just the start, you do not trust Google, Microsoft, Amazon etc. implicitly, you do, don't cry big salty crocodile tears, when something they do shafts you.

I wouldn't cry big salty crocodile tears.

I know just how much of my online world is wrapped up in a limited number of services...

zippy

Honorary Master
The operating system is the least of what is going to impact them. A significant number of components used by their hardware is made in the US.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
All of the above can still be used. Example, you can connect to gmail and calendar via the apps supplied by Huawei.
PureAPK can be used to update all your apps.
Plenty alternatives for things like news/keep notes/chrome.
Maps - Downloaded Here Maps(used it years ago on Nokia)

I actually decided yesterday to go on this journey to see how much I can do without google and I am surprising myself here. Don't get me wrong, I like google. Always been a user/customer of google products. I am just curious to see how bad it would be to not be invested entirely into one company. You realize quickly how much of you google run/own and this is not necessarily a good thing if they can just revoke all your "google" apps because a idiot with a wig said they must. We are placing too much power into the hands of Google and even Facebook.
APK Pure would require me to manually update every app as far as I am aware.
There aren't really that many alternatives, maybe Microsoft's News. Google's News is really good.
Here Maps has nothing on Waze, I did try it out.
In regards to calendar, yep, did it with my LG device.

My point was rather that its not bloatware if most use most of the tools, it's not a negative to have installed.

jdido87

Expert Member
I've seen it work just fine on uncertified devices, as long as they're not rooted. I've also seen both Netflix and DSTV working on cheap, uncertified Android TV boxes as well.
I have uncertified and unrooted TV. DSTV Now wont work but Netflix does.