How to Integrate Ubiquiti Security Gateway.

SageIs1

Hello, Thanks for coming This far, I hope you can help me with Configuring my Network.

A Little bit about myself, I've just started learning about Networking, I currently am a Software Developer, so my networking skill are not up to par unfortunately. I'm using this as an opportunity to learn.

Just as a Preface, we Recently installed the standard network topology that Telkom Provided for the AirFiber Package (25 Up/ 5 Down) (Picture 1.)

Now the reason for this thread is to integrate the USG product into the first picture, as well as the US-8-60W switch, the switch is not what I'm currently worried about, its the USG.

Picture 1.

Original.png
Adding In:
  • Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Router + Firewall​

• US-8-60W Switch​

What I would Like:
  • Add In the USG (I read somewhere that it can be used as a modem as well, not sure about that.), Mostly Need it for DPI and QOS and of course the Network Intrusion Prevention feature.
  • Still Use The New Telkom Router(2) as Wifi AP (Later on, I am going to swap Both Telkom AP for one of Ubiquiti Lite APs).
What I'm not sure about is:
  • How telkom Credentials will be inserted if I'm swapping the router for the USG.
  • The Optimal Topology given what I have to work with.
  • Double Nat, I read about this, we currently do have a router connected to another router, but I think the US-8-60W resolves that issue, cause I plan on Connecting Both Telkom router to it and using it as a Wifi AP.
Guys if you have any Recommendation, Please by all means Comment Below, I greatly appreciate your help. Oh and if you see something in my requirements that doesn't make sense, please feel to correct where possible.

Thanks all, being as informative as possible would be really great, I would Like to learn as much as possible.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Get rid of any and all routers..

The USG can do a PPPOE connection, so this where your Telkom credentials go..

Ethernet cable from the CPE, Nokia device, goes to wan 1 on the USG.. the switch, plugs into LAN on the USG..

For WiFi access, in place of the Telkom routers, get one or two depending on your coverage needs, ubiquity AP AC access points.. there is a myriad of articles to assist with the configuration of the access points, even YouTube videos, so use those for guidance..

Job done..

SageIs1

Thank @WAslayer I'll definitely use your advice as guide, and look more into pppoe.

I know that it's going to be crappy with the telkom router for wifi access, but the for the time being, its the only thing I have, and I can only get the ubiquity AP AC around Jan/Feb, it has to do more so on the funds, I can get a single one right now, but then ill need like 2 or 3 more, for full coverage, and i rather get them all one time.

But with that, do you think there will be any problem using them as Wifi Aps from the switch, just for the interim.

If I do use them as Wifi Aps connected to the ubiquity switch, do you perhaps know if there is any specific setting that should be configured for it to work.

So Something Like this.

NewDiagram.png
Again, Thank you so much.

Muttley

Expert Member
Thank @WAslayer I'll definitely use your advice as guide, and look more into pppoe.

I know that it's going to be crappy with the telkom router for wifi access, but the for the time being, its the only thing I have, and I can only get the ubiquity AP AC around Jan/Feb, it has to do more so on the funds, I can get a single one right now, but then ill need like 2 or 3 more, for full coverage, and i rather get them all one time.

But with that, do you think there will be any problem using them as Wifi Aps from the switch, just for the interim.

If I do use them as Wifi Aps connected to the ubiquity switch, do you perhaps know if there is any specific setting that should be configured for it to work.

So Something Like this.

View attachment 1198106
Again, Thank you so much.
The above looks good and no settings are required for the US-8-60 to detect the Telkom Routers/AP's.

I can't recall if the switch will auto sense if the device connected to it requires POE or not so maybe just turn off the POE on the ports that don't need POE.... last thing you want is to fry a device via POE.

Here's my setup from a few years back with 3D print files if you wanna make a mini rack like I did: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3364732

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-28 at 14.38.52.jpeg

My current topology looks like this:

Capture.JPG
Buying UniFi gear is addictive so be careful :D

lkswan747

Expert Member
Here is my network setup:
Unifi USG3P
2 X Unifi 8-Port POE Switches
Unifi Cloud Key 1
2 X Unifi AP-AC-LR
1 X Unifi AP-AC-Lite

Warning!! - Unifi equipment procurement can become addictive :laugh:
Network.jpg

SageIs1

Oh damn thanks guy (@Muttley, @lkswan747, @Mzezman ) Just curious, is there a service that does the 3d printing for you'll, or you'll have you own personal printer, looks really sleek, id like to get one for my self. Thanks.

SageIs1

I would also like some advice from you'll guys on the following. During load-shedding I would like to keep the system up by using a UPS, but im not sure which one to invest in that would keep my network up for atleast 4 hrs.

The only things that would need power would be the Nokia modem, USG, and the US-8-60W, everything else is POE, but that would also draw power via the US-8-60W switch, so for that lets assume the all 4 ports are always active, what do youll think is the best UPS for my situation.

Thanks everyone for the help.

1638357330503.png

Mzezman

I would also like some advice from you'll guys on the following. During load-shedding I would like to keep the system up by using a UPS, but im not sure which one to invest in that would keep my network up for atleast 4 hrs.

The only things that would need power would be the Nokia modem, USG, and the US-8-60W, everything else is POE, but that would also draw power via the US-8-60W switch, so for that lets assume the all 4 ports are always active, what do youll think is the best UPS for my situation.

View attachment 1205006
So im currently keeping my USG up using the Ratel 860p - that gives me about 6hrs - i currently do not have my backup for my POE switch so i got a cheap AP that is also powered by the same Ratel (it runs a backup wifi network)

The US-8-60W needs some oompf so you may need to look into some of the pricier portable power stations - unless someone here has found a cheaper way to keep it powered. Whats your budget?

deweyzeph

Executive Member

View attachment 1205006

The power draw on all those Ubiquiti devices requires a proper inverter with batteries to keep it going. A normal UPS is designed to give you enough power to shut everything down, but is not meant to keep things going for 4 hours.

SageIs1

Realistically, i would want it to run for the usual 2 hrs period during load shedding, 4 hr is the worst case, since critical load shedding usual happens around Christmas season.

I've been looking around on the interwebs and found something worth mentioning In the Ubiquiti forums, some asked a similar question, there where quite a few interesting responses.

Of the few, the CP1500AVRLCD looked the most promising option, any thoughts that i might be leaving out if i go down this path.

Here is the original thread -> Click

lkswan747

Expert Member
Oh damn thanks guy (@Muttley, @lkswan747, @Mzezman ) Just curious, is there a service that does the 3d printing for you'll, or you'll have you own personal printer, looks really sleek, id like to get one for my self. Thanks.
I had it done by a MBB member. Unfortunately I did not save his details.
I would love to get a 3D printer but unable to afford one just yet.

lkswan747

Expert Member

View attachment 1205006
Fortunately I have a generator that keeps me going during loadshedding :laugh:

lkswan747

Expert Member
Realistically, i would want it to run for the usual 2 hrs period during load shedding, 4 hr is the worst case, since critical load shedding usual happens around Christmas season.

I've been looking around on the interwebs and found something worth mentioning In the Ubiquiti forums, some asked a similar question, there where quite a few interesting responses.

Of the few, the CP1500AVRLCD looked the most promising option, any thoughts that i might be leaving out if i go down this path.

Here is the original thread -> Click
Seems like the runtime for this unit and a bunch of Ubiquiti equipment is 90 minutes?
From the original thread:

I'm happy with my CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD. It gives me about 90 minutes while powering:
  • cable modem
  • CK - cloud key
  • USG
  • US-8-150
  • US-8
  • UAP AC LR
  • UAP AC LITE
  • Synology NAS (2 disk)
  • Vonage ATA

RonSwanson

Executive Member

View attachment 1205006
Sunsynk.