How to keep cool, without having a fan blowing directly on you

Leakysandwich

Many of us know that when it gets hot, we turn on a fan. But sometimes it feels like it doesnt help much...
The problem for most people is that you have the fan blowing right ON you, which may even irritate you, so you rather turn it off and be hot.

Ok, look the first blast of air is definitely nice, but it may get hotter or start irritating you. What you should rather do is this:
After the first few minutes of it blowing ON you, you turn the fan to blow AWAY from you (NB. specifically channelling air out a doorway). The fan doesn't need to be right next to you, but be sure to sit in or close to the backdraft.

By doing this you actually channel air out of the room and after a few seconds you will get a 'cooler' more consistent breeze that will feel much better. Obviously the bigger the fan, the better the breeze.
It works for me anyways, hopefully it helps you as well :)

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Get one of those mist pipes. I don't know what you call it.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Before I go to bed, I get the fan close to a window and turn it on full. What happens is that because of insulation, the inside of a house tends to stay out, while the temperature outside drops. By placing the fan at a window, you suck air in from outside and lower the temperature in the room.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Get one of those mist pipes. I don't know what you call it.

Yesterday I put a cheap one from builders up at one of the factory doors.
We have extractor fans on the opposite wall.

It took the temp of that side of the factory down by around 5'c :)

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
It may at first feel counterintuitive but keep windows closed and curtains drawn as much as possible.

Open windows and curtains allow hot air and sunlight into the house, these both increase the temperature indoors.

This is the reason that old houses often have heavy wooden shutters.