How to make money as a YouTuber in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
How to make money as a YouTuber in South Africa

Video games are a popular pastime in South Africa, and many local gamers dream of making a career out of their hobby.

It is an incredibly difficult road to navigate, however, which is why there are not many prominent South African gaming content creators.

JSR Devon

I'm a full time YouTuber. I'd argue its easier to make a living off it here than overseas because we're paid in dollars. I find a lot of local YouTubers are too focused on the SA audience to see any real growth and lot of guys try it for a couple months and then give up when it hasn't happened. I've been posting 3-5 times a week for nearly 4 years and I've only just started doing it full time.

gamer16

Honorary Master
I'm a full time YouTuber. I'd argue its easier to make a living off it here than overseas because we're paid in dollars. I find a lot of local YouTubers are too focused on the SA audience to see any real growth and lot of guys try it for a couple months and then give up when it hasn't happened. I've been posting 3-5 times a week for nearly 4 years and I've only just started doing it full time.

Linky>?

Hellhound105

Executive Member
I tried watching that guy with the purple hair.....

I went back to watching my normal shows

Dr. Creepen
Corpse Husband
Be.Busta

And then for any games or merch the oversea channels do a great job

envo

Expert Member
Popular gaming content creator Grant Hinds said that prospective content creators need to have a deep drive and willingness to work hard to grow an audience.

Or the willingness to throw money at advertising 5-10 minute long videos on pre-rolls so that you can start making a name for yourself like he did

gamer16

Honorary Master
Search for his username on YT.
dear god you're lazy, google his username, first hit: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkpHjikWzPMBLswAu1O4Oyw

DarkDragon

How much do you earn monthly? Doesn't have to be an exact figure. If you don't mind me asking.

terencej

Expert Member
I'm thinking of starting a channel as a hobby. Will not be to make money, I have a job. Would like to make a hobby of some of my passions like pc building and gaming.

Nemus

Expert Member
What do we want?

Race Car Noises!

When do we want them?

Nnnnnnneeeeeeeeeooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww

What do we want??
Motorboat!!!
When do we... ( . ) pbrpbrpbrpbrpbrpbrpbrpbrpbrpbrpbrpbr ( . )

Reactions: OCP