How to make sure you don't get ripped off when buying a second-hand car

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Yeah, often times we get swept up and focused on a particular model that we fall in love with and overlook things that we should not overlook. I know, happened to me. In hindsight I should have chosen the more practical and reliable model that was sitting right next to my choice in the showroom.

And then there are other times when the seller is just plain down being a dishonest douche.

Tanarri

Damn. Almost looked like the girl has no pants on the small picture on my phone. Haha

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Yeah, it's a minefield. I've always bought all my cars brand new and hung onto them for as long as it makes sense. I've never been concerned about buying a vehicle for image, flash, performance etc. Functionality and affordability is where it's at as far as I'm concerned. I don't work just for a vehicle, it works for me instead.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Got a few q's myself having decided on buying a good condition, fairly low mileage s/h entry level run around while I'm back in SA to use for now....

My choice is either a Kia Picanto 1.2 or Ford Figo 1.4 Ambiente, under 70k km on clock , +- R100k all inclusive to drive her on the road legally

It's been many years since I bought a car in SA( been overseas nearly 17 yrs) so not sure how/if legislation has changed a lot since early 2000s thus naturally have a few q's off the top of my head re legalities more than anything else I would appreciate informed replies on:

1. How do I ensure in easiest way that the seller of the car is actually entitled to sell it/owns it/has no outstanding finance, parking tickets/traffic violations that might end up on my doorstep after I've taken possession of vehicle.

2. Do pvt sellers generally roadworthy, tax car for new owner? If not approx cost for each/both?

3. Insurance or just 3rd party?

Ok that's all for now...might be back for a few more later :cool:
TIA

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
The lesson I learnt recently, is take your trade-in to S4, they'll give you a great deal.