How to pick a political party to vote for.

With elections around the corner, How do you determine who you will be voting for? I would be interested in knowing what factors the public use to make their decision for who they will be voting? ...or is it just a mindless following?

Ninja'd

A Djinn
You take a D&D dice, throw it and check the number it lands on, count from top to bottom on the ballot paper and mark the party your dice number reflects. If you land on ANC, throw again.

grok

Honorary Master
Easiest formula that's been proven to work best ..

You take your own IQ

• if it's below 80 you vote for the EFF
  • above 80 but below 100 you vote for the ANC
  • 100 and above you vote for the DA

If you don't know the meaning of IQ .. then you never have to vote but you can go work for Sanral.

F1 Fan

Executive Member
Easiest formula that's been proven to work best ..

You take your own IQ

• if it's below 80 you vote for the EFF
  • above 80 but below 100 you vote for the ANC
  • 100 and above you vote for the DA

If you don't know the meaning of IQ .. then you never have to vote but you can go work for Sanral.

LOL. Epic:D

ld13

Honorary Master
I merely vote for the party that has the biggest chance to hurt the ruling party that I dislike. No other factors needed.

Kaine

Expert Member
how to pick what party to vote for: the battle royale/hunger games way

one: take EVERY SINGLE politician in the country, drop them down a disused mine/the kimberly gat. leave them with NOTHINg, not even clothes. last man/woman standing gets strapped full of chicken and dropped in ethiopia

everyone is happy. the end

Devill

Damned
With elections around the corner, How do you determine who you will be voting for? I would be interested in knowing what factors the public use to make their decision for who they will be voting? ...or is it just a mindless following?

I look at the broad economic policy and the then at the administrative successes that they have had in running municipalities etc etc.

Failing that I chose a random party that is not the ANC. They have had their chance and they have failed.

Alan

Honorary Master
The party that comes closest to espouse personal responsibility and common sense.

Basically the antithesis of the leading parties in this country unfortunately, hence the mess......

Thank you thus far the best answer
I look at the broad economic policy and the then at the administrative successes that they have had in running municipalities etc etc.

Failing that I chose a random party that is not the ANC. They have had their chance and they have failed.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
as I see it an individual should apply their mind and vote (or not vote, or spoil etc ...) according to your conscience and support a political party or candidate that you believe has a degree of integrity whose policies and agenda is best aligned to you as an individual

but beyond simply voting and accepting any nonsense you need to hold politicians politically accountable for their actions and promises

- needless to say I will be voting for a highly individualist supporting party

[disclaimer: I am the Chairman of the SA Libertarian Party]

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Giggle hysterically, then remove the chicken from under my jacket, and hold him in front of the ballot. If he pecks at a party, I vote for it. If he pecks on the ANC, COPE or EFF - I eat chicken for dinner.

So the current method is to pick the most likely party to be a valid choice. The ANC has had their chance. Still regret voting COPE once before. And I don't like Red.

Last edited:

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Pretty much a combination of the thought processes mentioned, with the added caveat that if my answer is ever 'ANC' I'll off myself with a 12-gauge in the foyer of Luthuli House.

The party that comes closest to espouse personal responsibility and common sense.

Basically the antithesis of the leading parties in this country unfortunately, hence the mess......

Because the vast majority of your countrymen wouldn't be able to function in that type of milieu, that seems like a shortsighted and counterproductive Utopian strategy to me.

It looks like people vote more to get rid of a party then for a party. Isn't this especially why the youth prefer not to vote ?

R13...

Honorary Master

So, ACDP or the Christian Party (if they're still around then)?

grok

Honorary Master
Another thought .. if you don't know by now who to vote for maybe you should just sit this one out. Seriously, you are not informed enough to vote.

Alan

Honorary Master
Because the vast majority of your countrymen wouldn't be able to function in that type of milieu, that seems like a shortsighted and counterproductive Utopian strategy to me.

Irony the alternative is then voting for parties offering shortsighted and counterproductive policies and the promise of the Utopian society fallacy.

So, ACDP or the Christian Party (if they're still around then)?

Bizarre

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I actually do have one question in regard with this thread, did this alliance (Cope, Freedom Front Plus, IFP, African Christian Democratic Party and United Democratic Movement) occur and should it be, will they still be represented by their separate candidates (vote)?

I don't really understand alliances (except amalgamations) when it comes to politics, IMO it is to share seats?