How to Pitch to PnP, Shoprite, Woolworths, etc

f22raptor

I have created a food product. It might take years to make it find the capital to put it on shelves. Do Picknpay, et al accept concepts from outside the company?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Start with your local Spar and Family owned Pick n Pay stores.

OP which province are you in?

saor

Honorary Master
I reckon you'll have a very hard time with an NDA for something like a recipe. They can probably change an ingredient and get around it if they wanted to.

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
Have you been living under a rock?

Woolworths vs Frankies
Woolworths vs Hummingbird design
Woolworths vs Ubuntu baba baby carrier
Woolworths vs SuperLatte
Woolworths vs Pasta

garp

Executive Member
My take - you need to start small. If you're able to produce a limited quantity and supply it via small independents and build a bit of brand recognition or loyalty, even if it is just locally, then you'll have much more leverage and a track record with the big distributors. It will, firstly, provide evidence that you came up with the idea, and secondly, provide buyers at larger distributors with some confidence that there is a market and you know what you're doing. This might be a way to bootstrap income for development, depending on the product.

The big retailers are the wrong avenue for finding seed capital, I'd say, unless you're prepared to potentially lose control and settle for a whatever they see fit to throw your way. Even if it's a really good concept, actually especially if it is a good concept, you have no bargaining power with the distributors without any of those protections and history shows that they will have no qualms using product ideas, unless it is something that you can actually get a patent or some kind of legal protection for, but then again you need capital for that.

f22raptor

Have you been living under a rock?

Woolworths vs Frankies
Woolworths vs Hummingbird design
Woolworths vs Ubuntu baba baby carrier
Woolworths vs SuperLatte
Woolworths vs Pasta

Thanks for the heads up.