How to port to Telkom Mobile (2018)

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
From MTN-SA?

Can't remember the last time I bought MTN data. Might as well just port my MTN number to Telkom Mobile.

Speedster

Executive Member
From MTN-SA?

Can't remember the last time I bought MTN data. Might as well just port my MTN number to Telkom Mobile.
Easy peasy. Buy Telkom SIM. SMS PORTME#yourIDnumber#ICCIC to 081 160 7678 from MTN number. Done

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Easy peasy. Buy Telkom SIM. SMS PORTME#yourIDnumber#ICCIC to 081 160 7678 from MTN number. Done
Thanks. Googling they say the ICCIC number is the 20 digit number at back of sim card starting with 89.

Doing tomorrow and providing feedback.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Probably also best to convert number to prepaid with current provider before porting.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
Lekker. I converted my Vodacon number to prepaid this morning. They confirmed it will be done tomorrow. Then I will be porting my number to telkom. Hope this works as easily as it sounds.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Doing tomorrow and providing feedback.
"If tomorrow never comes..."

1. How did the port go?
  2. Coverage/Network stability/dropped calls/anyone complained they can't get through to you?
  3. Any regrets?

I've been with MTN for 12 years, but now looking at Telkom's prepaid pricing, I am tempted. Prior to that I was with Virgin Mobile/Cell C and it was terrible. I don't want to go back to a network like that.

Last edited:

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
1. Smooth.
2. No real complaints other than I mostly buy TM only data and I can't connect when I'm roaming (hardly out of TM only zone though). Don't do a lot of calls, no complaints. Area I'm in is saturated with coverage so no funny business.
3. No regrets. But lots of prepaid data + Mo' Nice.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Telkom Mo Nice offers good value for money on data and voice so there is that. Once the Vodacom roaming deal is fully operational Telkom will be near the top of the list for best network.

Mtn also has a similar deal going like Mo Nice but they are hardly as competitive as Telkkm as Telkom offers all net minutes which is nice.

If Telkom doesn't work for you you are always just a port away from changing networks again. 60days then you can sms to port again.

Yirhu

I just bought a new sim card for my new phone which I've already inserted, will porting still work from old telkom sim to the new one?

Speedster

Executive Member
I just bought a new sim card for my new phone which I've already inserted, will porting still work from old telkom sim to the new one?
I think technically you're looking for a swim swop. A port would typically be when you move to a different network but keep the same number

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Battling to port MTN to Telkom. This "Easy Peasy" method is not explained well and does not work for me. Using my MTN sim (old) I sms'd my ID number + MTN Sim ICC number to the 081 number. I have had zero confirmation from either network that something is in process, has been 72 hours now. I still have MTN data and sms available so that is not the problem.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Battling to port MTN to Telkom. This "Easy Peasy" method is not explained well and does not work for me. Using my MTN sim (old) I sms'd my ID number + MTN Sim ICC number to the 081 number. I have had zero confirmation from either network that something is in process, has been 72 hours now. I still have MTN data and sms available so that is not the problem.
You are making a mistake. You need to sms the id number you used to rica the telkom simcard with and the sim card number the ICC number of the new Telkom sim from your MTN simcard.

Mtn will start sms and calling you about a port that has been requested on your number.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
You are making a mistake. You need to sms the id number you used to rica the telkom simcard with and the sim card number the ICC number of the new Telkom sim from your MTN simcard.

Mtn will start sms and calling you about a port that has been requested on your number.
Thanks Cavedog. Funny enough that is what I asked the TELKOM rep. I said how on earth does MTN k ow what simcard/ICC to port number too Anyways let me give it a bash.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Just walk into a Telkom store and let them help you with it. They say it won't take longer than 48 hours but that isn't entirely true in my experience.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks Cavedog. Funny enough that is what I asked the TELKOM rep. I said how on earth does MTN k ow what simcard/ICC to port number too Anyways let me give it a bash.
Also watch out for MTN. They will send you a couple of confusing SMS to make you reply 1 to stop the port. You will likely also get a call from the system about the port request.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
In my experiences I would probably wait just as long at a Telkom store. Walk-in is last resort ;)

Also watch out for MTN. They will send you a couple of confusing SMS to make you reply 1 to stop the port. You will likely also get a call from the system about the port request.
Thanks for heads up. Anyways did what you explained. Do you get some sort of SMS explaining that request has been received?