How to prepare for a total Eskom blackout

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
How to prepare for a total Eskom blackout

This month Eskom started load-shedding again, which has left millions of South African households and businesses without power.

Load-shedding happens when Eskom’s power supply cannot meet demand, and the company shuts down power in a controlled manner.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
I am prepared.

Offgrid, check.
Lots of Food (canned), check.
LPG, check.
Cars filled with petrol, check.
Sufficient water (cases of bottles of Aqua fizzy water in garage), check

Doesn't really matter to me though in the near time, I'm back in China.
Let rome burn for a while, while I'm earning $'s, and my rand assets depreciate :(

rietrot

Honorary Master
1. Move to Perth.
2. Live offgrid as a self sufficient substance farmer in the middle of nowhere with good security.
3. Have a years supply of food and fresh water and hope a large mob of people don't notice.

There's nothing most people can do in case of a propper blackout. Everything will go to shît

I got a 16000 mah power bank, that's all i can afford.
Don't feel bad. I just have candles and torches for lighting. A few 5L bottles that I replenish with tap water now and then. (Although it helps that I have a Jojo tank, so can use that water to bath and flush toilets if need be.)

I am mulling whether to buy a gas tank. As it is we just make sure to cook before our load-shedding slot.

Shaun108

Executive Member
It's only a matter of time before a total blackout. Either you pepper your angus, or prepare your anus. Your choice.

Shaun108

Executive Member
Not sure how to go about peppering my angus... :unsure:
Bottled water, canned food, cash (atm's will only work for a few days until battery power is kaput) etc. Some knives and a sidearm or rifle, extra fuel and gas. Those are the basics.

Bottled water, canned food, cash (atm's will only work for a few days until battery power is kaput) etc. Some knives and a sidearm or rifle, extra fuel and gas. Those are the basics.
What are the chances of getting a firearm licence these days? And probably a long delay too? A shotgun would be nice to keep handy but doubt the authorities would accept "preparation for civil unrest" as a reason for my application. :unsure:

marco79

Expert Member
I have some drinking water stockpiled in the garage. I am considering buying a 2 burner gas stove soon. Will start stockpiling cash soon.

Shaun108

Executive Member
What are the chances of getting a firearm licence these days? And probably a long delay too? A shotgun would be nice to keep handy but doubt the authorities would accept "preparation for civil unrest" as a reason for my application. :unsure:
It's not difficult to get a sporting license. Costs a bit more and you probably have to grease a few palms to expidite it. @HunterNW can add more