How to prepare for a total Eskom blackout

eg2505

Honorary Master
A complete restore of power is a 2 week affair... power will be restored in areas almost the same or the next day...
and by certain areas, you mean zumas house's well as all the eskom execs house, as that has power always.
it will all go downhill quite quickly, due to the ancient infrastructure, and the fact that even now with stage 3, things are falling and breaking with the constant interruption of juice.

its like anything else electrical, with enough stress it will break, transformers that are so ancient and old, will break, causing more downstream to fall over.
simple, if its not MAINTAINED IT WILL break, and by my count, lots are damaged and destroyed currently, especially with illegal connections ect...

yes, you might be right, major areas will have limited power, but even that is enough for criminals to have a party.

a full blackout? anything goes, could be very bad very quickly, as all the engineers who could have done something are in Australia,
and the AA candidates , well if they cant deal with simple maintenance when everything works, your asking a lot from them during a total blackout.

who knows what might happen, nobody actually knows, its all conjecture at this point,
me? hope for the best, prepare for the worst....

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
and by certain areas, you mean zumas house's well as all the eskom execs house, as that has power always.
it will all go downhill quite quickly, due to the ancient infrastructure, and the fact that even now with stage 3, things are falling and breaking with the constant interruption of juice.

its like anything else electrical, with enough stress it will break, transformers that are so ancient and old, will break, causing more downstream to fall over.
simple, if its not MAINTAINED IT WILL break, and by my count, lots are damaged and destroyed currently, especially with illegal connections ect...

yes, you might be right, major areas will have limited power, but even that is enough for criminals to have a party.

a full blackout? anything goes, could be very bad very quickly, as all the engineers who could have done something are in Australia,
and the AA candidates , well if they cant deal with simple maintenance when everything works, your asking a lot from them during a total blackout.

who knows what might happen, nobody actually knows, its all conjecture at this point,
me? hope for the best, prepare for the worst....
Are you suggesting they'll run new cabling to those specific locations just so that they can have power? Are you seriously that clueless as to how the system is setup? Eskom execs houses will lose power the same as their neighbours when their zones are turned off for loadshedding (or not depending on the schedule)

Oh, so now the criminals will have a party if there is power... a bigger or smaller party than during a full weeks long blackout?

Actually not all the engineers have left for Aus.. many went to the states and europe as well, and there are still a number in the country (or the grid would have collapsed already)

Very many people actually know exactly what will happen, because there are plans for that scenario.

You aren't preparing for the worst, you're fearmongering in your own head, and making yourself look like a bit of an idiot by putting those thoughts out in public.

maumau

Honorary Master
I haven't read the thread and don't know what's meant by total blackout but I can tell you we were out all morning in Bromhof and customers from both Lydenburg and Empangeni were also out.

That's pretty total to me, OK not total but widespread.

Milano

Honorary Master
Really depends. Two days for metros and two weeks for the rest would be expected. However it may be prudent to expect the unexpected in SA. It would not be surprising to find that the required equipment for a restart is in a state of disrepair or stolen, as well as needing to factor in the aging infrastructure's response. It would also be likely that that factions/unions that promote sabotage would be acting against a speedy restart. Could be interesting.

Milano

Honorary Master
I haven't read the thread and don't know what's meant by total blackout but I can tell you we were out all morning in Bromhof and customers from both Lydenburg and Empangeni were also out.

That's pretty total to me, OK not total but widespread.
Sounds like you guys are in something like Stage 8 aka Stage Mugabe, 12 hours a day Harare style.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Ahhh yes, well that is a different issue now isn't it...

Don't think they'd be able to get to all the major infrastructure in time to steal it all though... thats an absolute shyteload of copper to get.
The bigger problem is, to who are they going to sell it, and if they so happen to find a buyer, how are they going to get it to them.

Remember, the grid is down, there aren't any filling stations - unless some of the owners are willing to use from their bottom line to power generators to power the pumps.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The bigger problem is, to who are they going to sell it, and if they so happen to find a buyer, how are they going to get it to them.

Remember, the grid is down, there aren't any filling stations - unless some of the owners are willing to use from their bottom line to power generators to power the pumps.
Well the owners might be willing, but would the refineries want to use their backup power systems to fill tankers to deliver to those stations?

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
A restore from a national blackout is 2 weeks.. not 3 days. I’m pretty sure we are quite close to one and with just a union strike, sabotage or further generational units failing we likely head into such scenario playing out.
As usual toxic doesn't think outside the box

Sollie

Expert Member
3 days without power, heat/cooling, shops, petrol, 7de laan - we would never recover.
Them kiddy teenagers will have a meltdown. No cellphones. A young lady in a certain school will be re-traumatized worse than that slap. No Khardasians even!

Hmm, would we wan't the power back ...

Sollie

Expert Member
Really depends. Two days for metros and two weeks for the rest would be expected. However it may be prudent to expect the unexpected in SA. It would not be surprising to find that the required equipment for a restart is in a state of disrepair or stolen, as well as needing to factor in the aging infrastructure's response. It would also be likely that that factions/unions that promote sabotage would be acting against a speedy restart. Could be interesting.
I would not be surprised. The best laid plans are sunk by small things. That's why in IT, DR recovery is practiced and regularly exposes flaws.

Zukat

Why is this even discussed? The chances of this happening are close to none, if you have a basic understanding of how power supply chain works...

Captain Beer

Executive Member
I also understand how my fellow South Africans work and think. As Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet: "Ay, there's the rub".
The ANC supporters understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of this situation.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Why is this even discussed? The chances of this happening are close to none, if you have a basic understanding of how power supply chain works...
So no total blackout just more and more loadshedding as we lose generators. That makes sense.

HunterNW

Expert Member
If you really understand..... you'll also know that starting up from a blackout is not a one or 2 day thing.... Can even be months.